• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Can someone please explain to me why this is a 20k splash?

33 posts in this topic

...maybe not "Franzetta" dumb, but still. .

Wow just wow

You make comment like that and you might as well just start over and create a new screen name, pretend it never happened and deny it if anyone asks.

The err cat jumped on my keyboard as I was typing and then my computer crashed so I didn't have time to see the error on the post till it was too late.

As an art student I wouold have been embarassed to have some of the stuff I've seen that is "hot" published with my name on it. But different strokes for different folks.

Actually, as an art student, I would think you would be more embarrassed of your websites' designs. :shrug:

New art and new mediums are held to the same scrutiny and measure of artistic excellence as the art of old.

Wow just wow

You make comment like that and you might as well just start over and create a new screen name, pretend it never happened and deny it if anyone asks.

The err cat jumped on my keyboard as I was typing and then my computer crashed so I didn't have time to see the error on the post till it was too late.

What on earth are you going on about?? doh!

-e.

Wow just wow

What on earth are you going on about?? doh!

-e.

The first half is what I am saying and the last settence was the possible ramblings of an explination that the original poster might have had in a last ditch effort to save face which as you can see just doesn't work.

oooohhhhh no way mr COMICARTCOM...u sold over 3 million in art and u also sold John Byrne some art......wow u are really impressing me, thats so amazing u must sleep really well at night...buddy do u think i care about what u do for a living...Just because u sold art in the 1920's does not make u a art critic.

Personally i do not even care about any COMIC BOOK art or their artists before the 1970's, if you want to discuss REAL ARTISTS or painters from the 20th century then ok (Manuel Alvarez Bravo, Willem De Kooning, Lin Onus ETC ETC for any one with a real education about REAL artist from the 20th century) but if you are so preoccupied with your comic book artists thats ok then muppett. For me any many thousands of comic art collectors that collect because of nostalgia the best artist are John Byrne, John Romita, Brian Bolland, Frank Miller, etc etc...

and to the other puppet "buyatari" i guess you are the "perfect human" being, that NEVER spelt something wrong and now i have to change my name because i spelt FRANZETTA wrong..HAHHAHHA, you must be a tool

first you're defending comic art after 1970 and then you blast all comic art, pre and post 70? Which is it? Make up your mind.

I don't know how you can take offense to someone dismissing art part a certain period, and reply with a dismissal of the entire genre :screwy: with a straight face. Its taking offense what you view as an elitist comment with an elitist comment of your own :screwy: I guess it seems OK when you do it (shrug)

btw, the way fine art operates isn't all that different either. The best artists don't necessarily becomes the most famous, popular or successful :news:

also, de kooning blows :news:

So let me get this straight Bronty, When muppett comes on here putting down all art from the 1970's till now, YOU say nothing with your tail between your legs and except it like the good little girl that u are. Then i come on here (new to this group) and state that i do not care for any comic book art before the 1970's because i prefer the more historical and important artists that have nothing to do with comic book art and you come along and say that i dismissed the entire genre and call me a elitist. When did i say that i do not like artists after the 1970's, so you know Bronty i collect comic art for nostalgic reasons not for the Historical significance (because there isn't anything historic about comic book art), so if i do not view comic art as TRUE ART but i collect things from a era that brought back good memories, i see no wrong in that.

I have hesitated to comment here partly because I own the Avengers #166 splash by Byrne and Marcos. As someone who only collects Avengers pages in general as well as Avengers splashes in particular I can say that I think the splash page in question is great. Its by one of the 70's most influential artists on one of the best storylines from one of the best periods in Avengers history. Most of us 40 something Marvel Zombies who read comics in the 70's will never forget the "Nefaria Saga". It really was that cool. I aquired the #166 splash from Steve Donnelly several years ago via trade...and I had to trade alot to get it. At the time he was asking 8k for each of the 3 splashes to the story. He was fairly easy to trade with, we actually took about 2 months to agree to the trade and I am happy to have the splash in my collection. Do I think the #165 is a 20k splash? No. But with interiors from the story selling for 4-5k I am happy to have the splash for what I traded for it.

So let me get this straight Bronty, When muppett comes on here putting down all art from the 1970's till now, YOU say nothing with your tail between your legs and except it like the good little girl that u are. Then i come on here (new to this group) and state that i do not care for any comic book art before the 1970's because i prefer the more historical and important artists that have nothing to do with comic book art and you come along and say that i dismissed the entire genre and call me a elitist. When did i say that i do not like artists after the 1970's, so you know Bronty i collect comic art for nostalgic reasons not for the Historical significance (because there isn't anything historic about comic book art), so if i do not view comic art as TRUE ART but i collect things from a era that brought back good memories, i see no wrong in that.

Don't put words in my mouth. I don't agree with Rich's opinion either but at least he's not belittling people.

as for nostalgic collecting I agree, there is absolutely no wrong in that. I just found it odd to dismiss a dismissive comment

Thanks for keeping the real topic going......just another period of OA I'm priced out of.....

For the record, it's not a 20K splash but consider the seller. How do they sell anything?

BUT I did personally see AS sell a 3-panel page from this run at SD for 6K cash.

So the foundation for the 20K is there......

I'll never pay it.

Enjoy

and to the other puppet "buyatari" i guess you are the "perfect human" being, that NEVER spelt something wrong and now i have to change my name because i spelt FRANZETTA wrong..HAHHAHHA, you must be a tool

I spent some serious time in the Army in Military Intelligence and studied Russian at Defense Language Institute in POM California. It was an emersion program and no English was allowed. My English spelling and grammar are now horrible so I can relate to something that was misspelled. Guys who nick pick every spelling error or misuse of grammar rub me the wrong way as well.

This wasn't misspelled. You pulled a name out your hat that you heard once or twice.