• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

ROM #1

15 posts in this topic

Since I am new here and since recent posts call copper mid-80's and up, I think I'll ask my question here.. I was looking around for a CGC 9.8 copy of ROM #1 on the auction sites. Prices are all around the same till I came to the recent sales at Heritage and I be Damned if the last 4 sales of the same issue Im lookin for aint the exact same price., can someone please explain;;;;

Bill

Bill,

yup, seems like people want to pay $131.45 with BP for the book. Just a fluke really:

Sunday, August 2, 2009 Rom #1 (Marvel, 1979) CGC NM/MT 9.8 White pages.... NM/MT 9.8 $96.80

Sunday, June 28, 2009 Rom #1 (Marvel, 1979) CGC NM/MT 9.8 White pages.... NM/MT 9.8 $131.45

Sunday, June 7, 2009 Rom #1 (Marvel, 1979) CGC NM/MT 9.8 White pages.... NM/MT 9.8 $131.45

Sunday, May 24, 2009 Rom #1 (Marvel, 1979) CGC NM/MT 9.8 White pages.... NM/MT 9.8 $131.45

Sunday, May 3, 2009 Rom #1 (Marvel, 1979) CGC NM/MT 9.8 White pages.... NM/MT 9.8 $213.91

the price on this is dropping like a rock..

I was looking for one during it height but I, and like a few others, felt it was overvalued. But I didn't think it would come down sub-$100 INCLUDING BP.

Good thing I held out. I might have to pick one up soon.

I snagged the other one. Was a great price and a great book. It doesn't surprise me that more 9.8s are coming out and the price is stabilizing. It didn't seem right when they were going for $350.

Wow, I sure got fleeced on the one I bought a few years ago in a private sale to the tune of $400 :mad: when I though it was scarce in HG. Seems like the over-population recently has killed the price on 9.8s. Oh well. You win some, you lose some.

Wow, I sure got fleeced on the one I bought a few years ago in a private sale to the tune of $400 :mad: when I though it was scarce in HG. Seems like the over-population recently has killed the price on 9.8s. Oh well. You win some, you lose some.

You didn't get fleeced. $350-$400 was the market for quite some time. And as soon as folks saw that you could get that kind of bread for a ROM #1 they started submitting in droves. It ends up being a chicken/egg deal. The other copies, would they have come out if the high prices were never paid? I think not.

if you were a searcher of dollar (and less) boxes you would know that there is/was a lot of dealer inventory of this book out there in nice shape. once upon a time it was a $5ish book when cover prices were 40-50 cents and then it was worthless for a while, but when it was worth something enough got tucked away and stored nicely that it is inconceivable that there aren't tons of 9.8s in the woodwork. i used to see tons of them bagged and boarded in dollar and 50 cent boxes at shows. were they 9.8s? some no doubt were, most were not, sure. so many i stopped bothering buying them even at that price. in reorganizing my collection over the last couple of days I have come across several 9.4-9.6 looking copies.

Like all Big Two Copper books, there are innumerable copies in raw 9.8 and "press to 9.8" shape. Someday, people will understand this. Until then, caveat emptor.

On the money. (thumbs u

I'm surprised that the $400 market value held for several years. The 'press to 9.8' category has further expanded the available population of books.

In the meantime, think twice before paying the Frank or John price. :grin: