• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

start your grading engines...

31 posts in this topic

8 spinal dings, TRC creasing, BRC fold? -tiny piece only, and off center, 3 cover creases - one under "o" in wendigo on botton, on the right edge next to Wendigo and one that breaks color in the "K" in Hulk logo - plus the edges show wear and slight warping? - hmmm

If it is a nice shine and the back cover is an immaculate white like the spine...VF- to VF range potential

Nice reading copy tongue.gif

I'll give it an 8.0 if you throw in some chocolates wink.gif

bit of a rolled spine maybe....some light creases and wear upper right cnr, possible dirt or soiling on cover, crease on middle right of cover, crease on bottom middle, crease lower right.....7.5?

At least a 1/4" cc top right, 1.5-2" edge crease right edge (main non-printing defect), numerous "crows feet" spine stresses..so, I'll call it a F (in addition, it's horribly off-center).

9.2 (cause I wanted to grade higher than Donut...) laugh.gif

But seriously folks I would say 7.5.. could be lower as it seems like there is something wierd with the colors ...especially the brown and black area under greenie's left foot... crazy.gif

Very interesting grading and comments ...

I'll wait another hour to give you the grade CGC gave the book,besides what you all spotted there are no other blemishes on the book and the back cover has no creases, dings, nicks etc...

I did put a higher contrast on the scan so the defects would show up better, the long crease off the right edge near Wendigo is indeed the major error, but the books has vibrant colours (the weird color pattern on the scan is not on the book) and all corners are pretty sharp

Well, I tallied up all the guesses and the average grade was 7.0 to 7.5... the grade I also would have assigned...

The only person that actually got it right and was that stricter than stricter grader Dr.Banner....the book received a 6.5 from CGC.

I actually bought the book slabbed, but when I received it I thought CGC had been a tad strict on this one, this was the first time ever I disagreed with their grading, but I thought I would let you guys take a crack at it.

I wanted a mid-grade Hulk 180 to complete my Holy Trinity of Hulk books (180-181-182)

thanks all for participating and yes, I do feel a little vindicated that most of you agreed with what I originally thought.

I'll probably crack the slab and read the book and then keep it in mylar for a while, paid about $35.00 for it...

I hope the updated grading guide has a rule-of-thumb regarding the "cumulative crease length" vs. the highest possible grade. With the current grading guide indicating a VF can have a 1/4" corner crease ("that doesn't break the color" - although I don't implement the color breaking criteria as most cc's on silver/bronze books do result in color loss, which is quite different from cc's on golden age books), does that mean if it's 1" in length the highest grade is VF-, if it's 2" the highest grade is F, and so forth? I don't know, but maybe I knock off too much for creases - I was thinking 8.0 on this one before I noticed the edge crease.

Anyhow, I suspect the "1/4" cc keeps it from above VF" criteria is going to be dropped from the updated guide, or at least qualified somehow to indicate that's one criteria, but a 1/4" cc would not necessarily keep a book from VF/NM.