• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Dodged another bullet

19 posts in this topic

Many of you know I had a house fire 15 months ago that pretty much took out the 2nd floor of our house. Well, we moved back in last Fall and things have been good ever since.

Then last Tuesday we had some roofers working on a roof leak and replacing a gutter. Now, I am not kidding -- they set the roof on fire. Apparently roofers often use a torch to heat certain materials to make them adhere, and in this case it caused wood or leaves behind the gutter to smolder and it ignited about 30 minutes after they left for the day. I came home from work to find smoke pouring out of the roof. Got my wife out of the house (the smoke was not coming inside yet). Called the FD and they were here in minutes, while I went inside the house to get our pets out. Tried to use fire extinguishers and the hose on it to no avail.

Once the FD arrived, they had to cut through sections of the roof to remove the parts that were on fire and extinguish the fire. By that time it had gotten inside the wall a bit, so they had to punch holes in the walls of our guest bedroom to make sure it hadn't spread further.

We were fortunate we caught it early and the FD arrived very quickly. No injuries. The damage to the house was minimal but our guest room (which housed my graphic novel and TPB collection) is trashed, as are about half my books.

None of my art was affected. Thank goodness.

I think I am going to move us into a stone cave or a concrete bunker.

83397.jpg.91a3dab26109163cb6333be54fd9ae50.jpg

83398.jpg.1f94a97cb320c0d25e8674e51e55a6e7.jpg

Many of you know I had a house fire 15 months ago that pretty much took out the 2nd floor of our house. Well, we moved back in last Fall and things have been good ever since.

Then last Tuesday we had some roofers working on a roof leak and replacing a gutter. Now, I am not kidding -- they set the roof on fire. Apparently roofers often use a torch to heat certain materials to make them adhere, and in this case it caused wood or leaves behind the gutter to smolder and it ignited about 30 minutes after they left for the day. I came home from work to find smoke pouring out of the roof. Got my wife out of the house (the smoke was not coming inside yet). Called the FD and they were here in minutes, while I went inside the house to get our pets out. Tried to use fire extinguishers and the hose on it to no avail.

Once the FD arrived, they had to cut through sections of the roof to remove the parts that were on fire and extinguish the fire. By that time it had gotten inside the wall a bit, so they had to punch holes in the walls of our guest bedroom to make sure it hadn't spread further.

We were fortunate we caught it early and the FD arrived very quickly. No injuries. The damage to the house was minimal but our guest room (which housed my graphic novel and TPB collection) is trashed, as are about half my books.

Very sorry to hear about this. Lucky no one was injured though. I'm sure you have a list of what was in the room. Would definatley make their insurance company pay for it. Probably take some time though to piece it back together. Good luck though. (thumbs u

DRX

Very sorry to hear about this. Lucky no one was injured though. I'm sure you have a list of what was in the room. Would definatley make their insurance company pay for it. Probably take some time though to piece it back together. Good luck though. (thumbs u

DRX

Thanks, yes insurance will cover -- actually the roofer's insurance will end up paying my ins company back as they've already admitted fault. But the paperwork, estimates, adjustors, contractors etc will have to be coordinated. And it'll take time to do the repairs and clean up the mess, smoke damage, repair the interior walls, do the inventory of damage, etc. Been through it before less than a year ago.

I have to say, the fire dept was fantastic in handling everything. Those guys rock.

Good Lord Steve,

I am so pleased the damage was minimized. That is an incredibly bad streak of luck you are having on the combustion front.

You should start looking for underlying causes, such as, does your neighbor's kid look anything like this?:

firestarter.jpg

In any case, glad everyone is safe and glad you caught it in time.

Best,

Chris

Yes, in hindsight I guess hiring "Human Torch Roofers" wasn't such a good idea. meh

Seriously though, the roofers didn't do it intentionally but at the same time, if I hadn't come home when I did the whole house could have gone up. The guy was apologetic, and I accept that, and he says he wants to do the repairs since he caused it. That's nice and all, but I don't think I want him within 100 yards of my roof. :flamed:

Hey Steve,

Very sorry to hear you had to go thru this again so soon. Glad noone was hurt. I am sure now that the Avengers #3 page you own is the cause and I will take it from you for safekeeping. You can then view it for free in my CAF anytime you miss it.

Jay

Thanks for the offer Jay, I am always impressed by the selflessness and generosity exhibited on these boards!! Golly! :whistle:

I'd consider letting you do that for me, but I know of at least one other collector who would probably challenge you to a steel cage cannibalism death match to own that page. (shrug)

Thanks for the offer Jay, I am always impressed by the selflessness and generosity exhibited on these boards!! Golly! :whistle:

I'd consider letting you do that for me, but I know of at least one other collector who would probably challenge you to a steel cage cannibalism death match to own that page. (shrug)

I'll do it

Yes, in hindsight I guess hiring "Human Torch Roofers" wasn't such a good idea. meh

Seriously though, the roofers didn't do it intentionally but at the same time, if I hadn't come home when I did the whole house could have gone up. The guy was apologetic, and I accept that, and he says he wants to do the repairs since he caused it. That's nice and all, but I don't think I want him within 100 yards of my roof. :flamed:

Steve -

Very sorry to hear about your (second) house fire. Glad that no one was hurt.

As for the roofer, he is probably very well intentioned and feels badly about this whole mess, but you should not do anything that makes you feel uncomfortable.

Best of luck with everything, and please keep us appraised when everything works out fine in the end - as it most certainly will.

Warmest regards.

- Artemis

I'm sorry to hear about your second disaster.

Wow...glad to hear nobody was injured, and nothing irreplaceable (like art) was lost...

Best advice I can give on evacuation during a fire, is obviously get family and pets out FIRST, and IF you can SAFELY remove items without taking any risks of injury, it's always smart to have them all organized in one area ready to go: photos, insurance papers, birth certificate (and comic art), keep near each other so that if you have to RUN, you can grab it and GO!!! (I recommend a safe deposit box as well for most items, but I'm talking if you keep any in your house), and of course, it's always a good idea to have back-ups of photos, documents, etc. in a second location, like a parent or relative's house, just in case...