• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

can someone tell me the gpa prices of xmen 58...

93 posts in this topic

Or hey...

Just get George to ask the mods to make a sticky in all forums saying that GPA requests are verboten.

That would of course be contrary to what George himself has said he wants, no? Or does George not know what is best for George?

True, but most people seem to be defending George despite his statements that he doesn't mind the occasional request for data on the boards.

He's smart enough to know he can't regulate what goes on here or what takes place in PMs or offline.

I hear you. I don't know him. He seems, based upon other folks comments, to be a very generous and all around good guy. Maybe too nice to tell people what he really thinks? Or genuinely accepts that the data will occasionally be passed along to someone who hasn't paid and is okay with it, or even sees it as good advertising?

I don't want to assume anything about the man or his business. I hope he does well with it. I'm glad it exists (even if I don't currently have it) and I truly hope that GPA requests don't reach epidemic proportions here.

I just think people could be easier on the noobs that obviously don't know any better. Instead of feigning outrage. It's hard for me to take somebody too seriously when they get on their pedestal about GPA requests when they've got a bootlegged copy of Transformers 2 in their DVD and who knows what else. Selective outrage when it isn't warranted. But, it is still only my opinion and nobody has to like it or agree with it.

Count me in the camp of someone that would gladly pay for GPA on a per use basis. Or even a "10 look-ups for $15", or something along those lines as opposed to a yearly subscription.

You see, I would prefer a yearly subscription at a discount. I know they used to have a cheaper rate for paying for an annual membership all at once, but that was done away with the price increase.

Right now all you can do is buy one month for $10 a month or 12 dollars for $10 a month no break.

I know this because I emailed directly and asked because other had advised me there WAS a discounted annual rate, but that it seems that it went away with the new pricing structure. I guess some people are grandfathered in to the discounted annual rate.

I pay for a bidsniper service and the rates and ways you can pay are myriad. You can pay per snipe or buy packages of snipes, you can pay by month, or you can pay annually with a discount on the monthly rate.

I really believe that GPA are making a bad business decision by having a one tiered pricing structure. They are certainly losing my money because of it.

I do not use GPA that often, but do use it usually more than a few times a month and get the info from a source through PM.

I would certainly pay for it on my own if there was a pricing structure that I agreed with.

For me it is a few things:

1. I dont want to have a $10 recurring monthly payment. This might not seem like much to some of the money bags on these boards, but some months I am really close to the end of my checking account balance. If a $10 charge that I had forgot about came through and cost my a NSF charge it would suck.

2. I think that buying anything in bulk deserves a discount. A monthly rate is fine, but paying per annum deserves a cheaper rate. Especially since it used to be offered this way.

Every consumer/collector has different needs and wants and GPA not covering all the demographics is certainly costing them money.

Hopefully they will re-evaluate their one-tiered pricing structure in the future and I will definitely become a paying customer.

Yeah, I wasn't saying get rid of the annual subscription. And, I agree a discount should be given on annual vs. monthly vs, pay-per-view.

I just would like there to be additional options for people (like me) who would find this service useful, but don't use it enough to warrant the annual subscription purchase.

[i just think it'd go over better to politely inform somebody that what you think they are doing isn't kosher instead of making them feel like krap. After all, I haven't seen anybody singled out as a GPA freeloader. It's typically some noob who doesn't know better and doesn't mean any harm. Who knows, with a little honey maybe they will see the virtue of picking GPA up for themselves. Personally, if I didn't know better and received the typical "warm" response the GPA foot soldiers unload, I might say "F that guy" and "F GPA". But that's just me.

You may now continue with your regularly scheduled flogging of noobs. :D

I think you've have now been flogged enough for today. :baiting:

That would of course be contrary to what George himself has said he wants, no? Or does George not know what is best for George?

Yea I don't think George minds, he'd rather catch more flies with honey as you suggested. Luckily, since I'm not running GPA, I am not constrained by the shackles of decorum. :devil:

+1 for the GPA pay-per-view model. I would use this service maybe 4-6 times a year or so. That's not worth $120 to me, but I'd gladly fork over a buck or two each time I needed it. I probably do not represent the typical collector, but I know I'm not alone in this.

PS the person who suggested a sticky link explaining the etiquette of asking for GPA had a great idea. It seems people are concerned about the lack of new blood in the hobby, perhaps the newbies shouldn't be bloodied for rookie mistakes.

sorry i didnt know people felt so strong about one request. just a n00b thing i wont do it again.

Next time just PM someone you know on here that can provide it for you.

Yeah, I wasn't saying get rid of the annual subscription. And, I agree a discount should be given on annual vs. monthly vs, pay-per-view.

I just would like there to be additional options for people (like me) who would find this service useful, but don't use it enough to warrant the annual subscription purchase.

I certainly agree.

what i was trying to say is that (as far as I can tell, someone please correct me if I'm wrong) they DID do away with the annual subscription. I know this because I emailed GPA directly and was told 10 bucks a month, take it or leave it. At that point I decided to not subscribe.

It is straight up 9.95 a month, regardless of whether you buy 1 month or 12 months at once. why would you pay for 12 months at at time if the price for one month is the same? It cuts out collectors that are not loaded to the gills with cash and are not dealers or semi-professional flippers.

sorry i didnt know people felt so strong about one request. just a n00b thing i wont do it again.

So PEP mind if I PM you for GPA from time to time? :baiting:

** Damn i thought that was a pm!** :jokealert:

So PEP mind if I PM you for GPA from time to time? :baiting:

** Damn i thought that was a pm!** :jokealert:

:makepoint:

ComicFan,

What MacMan was trying to say by telling you to search this topic was that this topic has been discussed dozens of times before, and in fact, that George has publicly stated that he is okay with the occasional public request for GPA data on the boards. I think he knows that it really does make him look like a champ and increases his brand to have people publicly interested. He's not really losing anything for the occasional cheapskate who otherwise wouldn't have joined for one purchase.

The responses you've seen here before yours from some old time, well respected posters are those that know that that is the policy and still find it offensive. I respect their position, but the fact remains that there is no strikable offense in this thread. Only an offense of offending certain posters, and certainly, arguably, one of good taste.

I knew there was a reason I loved you....bromantically speaking, of course...

:luhv:

I still think GPA should allow a pay-per-view system.

I'm no more a suscriber because i dont buy enough CGC certified books each month.

$10 is a lot of money to just get one or two GPA prices each month.

I've requested such for a while now. ;)

I cannot justify the "$10/month, recurring" plan...

But I would HAPPILY pay $5 for a single week here and there.

HAPPILY.

What you might be unaware of is the fact that the owner of GPA is a well-respected member here. Perhaps if you offered to give some of whatever it is you produce to him free of charge, he'd rustle up those figures for you. (thumbs u

I just wonder if the people who respond like you do have ever lent anyone anything. What's the difference between a movie you bought or a book you bought or a magazine you bought, etc..... Are people really so squeaky clean that they can be this sarcastic and rude to others who commit this heinous crime against humanity?

I call straight up BS. Unless you've never let a buddy borrow a dvd or book or whatever and unless you've never, ever borrowed some copyrighted material, something you didn't pay for..........I don't buy all this holier than thou stuff just because it's GPA or because its related to another forum member. Selective BS posturing. JMHO

For the record, the occasional request doesn't bother me. I had GPA. I found some use in it. Nobody ever asked me directly for info and I never provided it simply b/c i'm not that nice.

No offense intended to you or anyone else. I just think its funny that people get up in arms about this when I'm pretty sure they don't have a leg to stand on if they looked at their own behavior.

While I agree with the spirit of your post, there's one technical issue...your analogy would be appropriate if that friend happened to use YOUR computer at YOUR house to look up GPA...not broadcasting the same over the WWW.

It's what brought Napster down, after all...you can't really "borrow" something that isn't tangible in the first place.

There is a big difference between taking money from George and taking it from Warner Brothers, and it has to do with simple financial logistics, not sentimentality. Warner Brothers makes billions in revenue and sells to millions of customers. .

In principle, there is no difference. None at all. Theft is theft, whether it's from GPA (who has already sanctioned the pracitice discussed herein) or Warner Brothers.

You cannot justify theft just because it happens to a "multi billion dollar corporation."

:screwy:

It's STILL THEFT.

Frankly, your moral relativism is shocking.

So essentially it's no big deal if Warner Bros. goes under b/c somebody else is there to fill the void. I guess there's something to that. Although the people at Warner's might have a problem with that. And FT's position was one about financial loss to George, not one of finding a suitable replacement for what he provides. 2 different things we're now talking about.

If financial loss to GPA ends up ending their service, then finding a replacement should DIRECTLY influence your decision as to whether you rip them off or not. In fact, it's the primary reason I mess all over the "give me GPA data free" threads. It's the same reason so many people make it a point support their local comic shop, because they like having one locally.

It is a big deal to rip off Warner Brothers, and it's not OK. I don't do it, because they have consistently produced quality animation and movies for a century and I prefer to support companies who do good work. However, the economy of scale is there such that it's less damaging if you do rip them off. That doesn't mean it's right in the slightest, and I agree, it's a hypocritical point of view. Yet it's still accurate.

The comic book back issue market is fragile. It's shrinking every year. It is essentially a withering market. Movies are not a dying market, and that industry is not fragile at all. The more you rip off comics sellers or buyers, or as is the topic of this thread, comic book services, the more you're contributing to this market's inevitable withering. Apart from the morality or ethics, it's a simple fact of economics.

You keep saying it's "not OK to steal" , but your arguments are still trying to justify why it would be "worse" to "steal" from GPA (which, once again, such activity as happened here has ALREADY BEEN SANCTIONED by George) than it would be from Warners, who could "absorb it".

There is no sliding scale to theft. It's 100% wrong, always.

Proportionately, if everyone who bought a Warner Brothers product just stole it instead, because "they make billions, and they can afford it!"...they would be in just as perilous a position, and Warner Bros going out of business would have a VASTLY more detrimental effect (just considering the amount of people WB employs) than would GPA.

So, instead of trying to make arguments that appear to justify "theft of scale", why not just say "it's all theft, so cut it out"...?