• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Is this an illegal grading contest?

13 posts in this topic

I just read about the CGC grading contest.

I think it's a great idea I always thought the running of contests like this was illegal.

The problem is that they are asking for a $30 entry fee and then are then re-distributing the prizes.

I don't think the law permits you to take money in order for someone to enter a contest like this.

There are legal exceptions to this "sweepstakes law" but it is usually for charity events where the charitable organization sells raffle tickets and gets to keep the proceeds.

But I am not a lawyer ........... so maybe I am overlooking something

I think the difference is that it's not a game of chance.

It's a contest.

All kinds of contests and competitions require an entry fee.

Bowling tournaments, etc.

True ......... it is not a game of chance.

Although you take your chances every time to send a comic in for grading :insane:

It's a game of skill, not chance. Therefore, it's not likely to be illegal. Much like poker should be expressly legalized as a game of skill, with an element of chance.

you can get prosecuted for this sort of stuff if it isn't a game of skill, so i guess someone out there might care. i once had to write a memo for a client on this topic, but that was 15 years ago.