• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Top 20 GA Comics - Relative Scarcity

67 posts in this topic

Calling upon the vast combined collecting experiences of this board, I ask the following question: How would you rank the top 20 Golden Age comics (according to Overstreet) from scarcest to most common?

Here's my best guess:

1) New Fun Comics #1

2) Detective Comics #1

3) Adventure Comics #40

4) All-American Comics #16

5) More Fun Comics #52

6) Whiz Comics #2 (#1)

7) Action Comics #2

8) Marvel Comics #1

9) Detective Comics #27

10) Action Comics #1

11) Detective Comics #29

12) Flash Comics #1

13) Detective Comics #33

14) Detective Comics #31

15) All Star Comics #3

16) Superman #1

17) Detective Comics #38

18) Green Lantern #1

19) Captain America #1

20) Batman #1

Am I assuming too much scarcity for Adventure 40 and All-American 16? Is the first issue of Whiz Comics as hard to find as I'm implying in this ranking? Is Marvel #1 harder to find than Action #1? Would you say that Superman #1 is scarcer than Captain America #1? Where do the long-time Golden Age collectors think I'm off base? Because I'm sure I am...

How about New Fun Comics #1 and #2? I'm pretty sure #2 is rarer than #1. At least I can say that I've only seen one copy of New Fun #2 for sale as opposed to 2-3 copies of #1. Personally, I'd probably flip All American #16 and Adventure #40. Other than that, the list seems pretty good to me!

All grades. I'm talking ability to find a complete, readable copy of the issue. These are, after all, the most valuable comics in existance, according Overstreet. A mid-grade copy may be all I could ever afford.

You're right abut New Fun. I accidentally typed "New Comics" instead of "New Fun Comics". It's been edited now.

My thoughts for all grades

New Fun Comics #1

Detective Comics #1

All-American Comics #16

Adventure Comics #40

More Fun Comics #52

Action Comics #2

Marvel Comics #1

Superman #1

Whiz Comics #2 (#1)

Detective Comics #27

Action Comics #1

Detective Comics #29

Detective Comics #31

Detective Comics #33

Detective Comics #38

Flash Comics #1

All Star Comics #3

Green Lantern #1

Captain America #1

Batman #1

For 8.0 and up...

Superman #1

All-American Comics #16

New Fun Comics #1

Detective Comics #1

Adventure Comics #40

Action Comics #2

More Fun Comics #52

Whiz Comics #2 (#1)

Detective Comics #29

Detective Comics #27

Action Comics #1

Detective Comics #31

Detective Comics #33

Marvel Comics #1

Flash Comics #1

All Star Comics #3

Detective Comics #38

Green Lantern #1

Batman #1

Captain America #1

Timely

Hmmm, so you think that Superman #1, in any grade, is more scarce than Action #1 or Detective #27? That surprises me.

I can't find as many Whiz #1 as I can Action 1 and Tec 27, but maybe it's just me.

Doug, the universe of books I'm using is the Top 20 in Value listed by Overstreet. I agree, New Fun #2 is more scarce than anything on the list, but it's not one of the 20 being considered in this instance. Tough, tough book to find though.

Hmmm, so you think that Superman #1, in any grade, is more scarce than Action #1 or Detective #27? That surprises me.

I can't find as many Whiz #1 as I can Action 1 and Tec 27, but maybe it's just me.

Doug, the universe of books I'm using is the Top 20 in Value listed by Overstreet. I agree, New Fun #2 is more scarce than anything on the list, but it's not one of the 20 being considered in this instance. Tough, tough book to find though.

The Superman #1 is a tough call. I guess it does come up more often that Det 27 or Action #1 but it's usually coverless or restored to the moon. I suppose I was thinking of unrestored copies when I placed it on the list.

I see a lot of Whiz #2's I even saw a 7.0 copy at the crappy LA monthly con 2 months ago! 27_laughing.gif

Timely

Calling upon the vast combined collecting experiences of this board, I ask the following question: How would you rank the top 20 Golden Age comics (according to Overstreet) from scarcest to most common?

Here's my best guess:

1) New Fun Comics #1

2) Detective Comics #1

3) Adventure Comics #40

4) All-American Comics #16

5) More Fun Comics #52

6) Whiz Comics #2 (#1)

7) Action Comics #2

8) Marvel Comics #1

9) Detective Comics #27

10) Action Comics #1

11) Detective Comics #29

12) Flash Comics #1

13) Detective Comics #33

14) Detective Comics #31

15) All Star Comics #3

16) Superman #1

17) Detective Comics #38

18) Green Lantern #1

19) Captain America #1

20) Batman #1

Am I assuming too much scarcity for Adventure 40 and All-American 16? Is the first issue of Whiz Comics as hard to find as I'm implying in this ranking? Is Marvel #1 harder to find than Action #1? Would you say that Superman #1 is scarcer than Captain America #1? Where do the long-time Golden Age collectors think I'm off base? Because I'm sure I am...

There's a general rule for GA series concerning scarcity. # 2 & 3 of any series are usually more difficult to find than # 1 & 4. #1 was generally produced in high numbers to maximize exposure. #2 & 3 were printed in lower numbers to minimize losses, and #4 was printed in numbers proportionate to the sales figures on #1, which by the time it went to print were finally in.

That being said, there's no way in hell that Superman #1 is any higher than #15 on that list. I see more Supe & Bat # 1s than any other GA key. Part of that has to do with price (and thus profit), but Superman #1 was printed in ENORMOUS quantities, and even went through 3 or 4 printings. There are probably at least 4 Supe 1s for each Action 1. A similar statement could be made for Bat 1 & Tec 27. I do agree that Superman #1 in higher than VF is virtually non-existent.

I'd say something like:

1) New Fun Comics #1

2) Detective Comics #1

3) Action #2

4) Adventure Comics #40

5) All-American Comics #16

6) More Fun Comics #52

7) Detective Comics #27

8) Action Comics #1

9) Detective Comics #29

10) Marvel Comics #1

11) Whiz #2 (1)

12) Flash Comics #1

13) Detective Comics #31

14) Detective Comics #33

15) Detective Comics #38

16) Green Lantern #1

17) Captain America #1

18) All Star Comics #3

19) Batman #1

20) Superman #1

With #s 6-10 interchangeable and also #s 11-15.

I'm interested for Stephen Fishler to chime in. He probably knows more than any other person on this subject.

I disagree with the Superman #1 theory you have, but ok.

However the Flash #1 being scarcer than those Detectives in the 30's is way off. There's been a handful of Flash #1's on ebay recently, there's even one on right now! sumo.gif It's an easy catch, far easier than Superman #1 juggle.gif!

Timely

In Heritage's back-catalog there are (3) Flash 1s and (16) Superman 1s.

Metropolis currently has (3) Superman 1s and (2) Flash 1s. Comiclink currently has (1) Superman and (0) Flash 1s. etc...

Not trying to belabor the point, I just think you'd be surprised to see how many Superman #1s there are. I think we'd all be surprised.

Best...

Double Action #2 is SUPER scarce, but it's only 69th on the Overstreet value list. Not eligible for this discussion.

I think I agree that Flash Comics #1 is relatively common. It does seem as though there have been a good number available recently, on eBay, Heritage, and ComicLink.