• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Top 20 GA Comics - Relative Scarcity

67 posts in this topic

Overstreet 1988 market report (page A-18):

"A very sharp NM copy of Superman #1 sold for $14,000 cash plus a Barks painting valued at $45,000; a Fn #1 sold for $12,000; a VF restored sold for $17,000 [...]"

"A very sharp NM copy of Superman #1 sold for $14,000 cash plus a Barks painting valued at $45,000; a Fn #1 sold for $12,000; a VF restored sold for $17,000 [...]"

A NM in 1988 is todays VF+!

Timely

A NM in 1988 is todays VF+!

Timely

Agreed. I heard that the Whiz # 1 (mile high) that was supposedly "mint" that Geppi bought a few years ago is probably closer to 9.2.

I love dealers that still grade FN/NM or F+/NM.

I know it's not on the top 20, but I'd like to mention a book that I actually have a copy of that may arguably be about the scarcist DC Comic.

It's the variation that makes it scarce:

Batman # 2, the 15 cent cover price version.

Overstreet has a little note, as I recall it says something like, "A 15 cent version for Canadian distribution exists." I do not know if that is a guess or not.. when I first learned about the 15 cent Batman # 2, it was "suspected" that it was for Canadian distribution.

I wish I could find the article I read about it. Several years later, I saw one advertised and bought it. I read somewhere that there are 3 copies known to exist of the 15 cent variant, but I can't confirm it.

Charlie

I know it's not on the top 20, but I'd like to mention a book that I actually have a copy of that may arguably be about the scarcist DC Comic.

It's the variation that makes it scarce:

Batman # 2, the 15 cent cover price version.

Overstreet has a little note, as I recall it says something like, "A 15 cent version for Canadian distribution exists." I do not know if that is a guess or not.. when I first learned about the 15 cent Batman # 2, it was "suspected" that it was for Canadian distribution.

I wish I could find the article I read about it. Several years later, I saw one advertised and bought it. I read somewhere that there are 3 copies known to exist of the 15 cent variant, but I can't confirm it.

Charlie

Only one! thumbsup2.gif

367873-bats2cent15.jpg

Oh Darth... gossip.gif

The Ultimate Price Variant! grin.gif

367873-bats2cent15.jpg.bf69c5a15d07e265a5ea603c38f3c3db.jpg

When I purchased my copy (I'll post scans in a few days) the dealer (Jason Ewert) claimed that there were *3* copies of the 15 cent Batman #2 known to exist, including this one. When I recieved the book, it was in low grade with tape on the spine, but I had it restored by Matt Wilson.

I'm curious: Where did that "one of a kind" ad come from?

Being the owner of a 15 cent Batman #2--I'm eager for information about it!

Charlie

I can tell you this much: The copy I have is the *only* CGC graded copy--so in a sense, it *is* one of a kind!

The only information I have is that Jason Ewert claimed there were three. I never saw that "One of a Kind" article, but I did read another article (about a year before I bought the book) and haven't been able to find the article since.

I know mine isn't the one in the "One of a Kind" article, since mine had tape on the spine and I sent it for restoration myself. (I even have a pre-restoration scan, somewhere on a floppy disk.) So I only have evidence that there are two (the article you posted and the copy I own).

It just occurred to me: Now, I know, that (if I assume there are three) at least two are restored. The only two I know for sure exist are both restored. This just might take the edge of the restoration-resistance factor: There ain't an unrestored copy to be found, anywhere!

Charlie

That More Fun Comics intrigues me. THAT might be the rarest DC Comic, perhaps that one IS one of a kind!

I wonder if any other 15 cent variants are known. Batman # 2 was Summer 1940.

The More Fun was 9/1940.

Whatever the case, and whether or not it was for Canadian distribution, these are ultra-rare books that apparently were published and distributed by DC in mid-to-late 1940. I'm glad I posted my question, this is the first new information I've gotten about my book since I bought it, and I've often wondered if there were other variants, know I know at least one other.

Charlie

I'd love to buy that copy of OS CBM 15 Jul 1994, if you'd care to sell me one please PM me.

Thanks,

Charlie

I think that was just a one page art gallery pic and there was no story to go along with it.

15 was my first CBM and it was beat up being on top of the stack. smirk.gif

I was going to sell all of them.

It just occurred to me: Now, I know, that (if I assume there are three) at least two are restored. The only two I know for sure exist are both restored. This just might take the edge of the restoration-resistance factor: There ain't an unrestored copy to be found, anywhere!

That would be the exact sort of assumption which led to the author of that article stating there was only one total in existence, wouldn't it? 893naughty-thumb.gifstooges.giftongue.gif

OK, we've covered Supe #1, Action #1, and All American #16 on other threads as to whether an unrestored NM copy exists. What about Adventure #40? The MH is a PLOD and from what I've read there was no Larson copy confused-smiley-013.gif. Does an unrestored NM copy exist of this book? Timely? Stephen?

If you want to see an extra-large picture, go to this link

http://rushcomics.freewebpage.org/Batman2.jpg

Here it is, my copy of Batman 2, 15 cent variant.

I want to point out something I personally find a bit strange about this book, perhaps someone has a clue about it. There is a small yellow streak below Batman's arm extending from the spine. I've never seen that on any Batman #2 (whether 10 or 15 cent) but I can assure you, this is not a color-touch goof either, the book, pre-restoration, had that yellow streak. How could that have happened when the book was created, any ideas?

Well, here it is, (perhaps) the rarest DC comic?

HBatman2.jpg

There is a small yellow streak below Batman's arm extending from the spine. I've never seen that on any Batman #2 (whether 10 or 15 cent) but I can assure you, this is not a color-touch goof either, the book, pre-restoration, had that yellow streak.

It appears to be caused by the printing process. My ASSUMPTION is that the red on the cover is comprised of either red/yellow or magenta/yellow (not sure of the inks they used in those 30's books. Quite possible the red plate got damaged or never properly burned, causing the red in the area to be blocked and allowing the yellow beneath to show through. It is possible this was caught not too deep into the start of the press run and corrected. It is also possible it is a problem picked up partway through the print run and corrected, or enar the end and not corrected.