• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

What was the last CLASSIC COVER as noted by Overstreet?

68 posts in this topic

Then you get into the classic cover swipes.

I love swipes! Are any Adams' Bat covers considered 'Classic' ?

Not by Bob Overstreet.

But I would put TEC #400 and Bats #232 and #251 at the top of any classic covers list.

Bats #227 does not qualify as it is a "swipe"

It's more of an homage than a swipe...a swipe denotes laziness or slavishness to the original. Adams' reworking of Tec 31 is a cut above that.

I'm not trying to be rude here. But I can usually look at an acknowledged "classic" cover--as this one clearly is based on Overstreet--and spot what it is that makes the cover shine. But this one just has me stumped.

In 1940, most of the artwork still centered around the old pulp style of sci-fi story that dominated the comics of the time.

For what it is, I think its a great cover of its day...would I say that there are better covers during the GA? Oh yes, most certainly, dozens if not hundreds of them, but as a representative of the early pulp-based days of the Golden Age, its a shining example of how Schomburg's art started raising the bar for all other cover artists.

Yes, rightfully one must recall the pulp art that precedes these early GA covers. There are many documented and undocumented swipes / "homages" in these covers, from copies of Pyle by Guardineer on Adventure Comics to copies of Popular pulps by Simon on Fox books to this Schomburg cover inspired by previous aviation pulp art similar to this one below. Notice the similar theme.

If the Classic designation in OSPG was originated 35+ years ago, the sensitivity of collectors then was different than now and certainly more attuned to what had gone before the dawn of the comics age.

83508.jpg.5c12a4db43443c4feae2aefb7807cc8f.jpg

So, if it doesn't have boobs or Nazi's, it doesn't meet the criteria for being a GA Classic cover? :P

In 1940, most of the artwork still centered around the old pulp style of sci-fi story that dominated the comics of the time. The nation hadn't gone to war yet (Nazi covers were around, but not yet overly prevelant), and the GGA craze wouldn't really start until after the war.

For what it is, I think its a great cover of its day...would I say that there are better covers during the GA? Oh yes, most certainly, dozens if not hundreds of them, but as a representative of the early pulp-based days of the Golden Age, its a shining example of how Schomburg's art started raising the bar for all other cover artists.

(worship) to your knowledge you dirty MoFo

So, if it doesn't have boobs or Nazi's, it doesn't meet the criteria for being a GA Classic cover? :P

In 1940, most of the artwork still centered around the old pulp style of sci-fi story that dominated the comics of the time. The nation hadn't gone to war yet (Nazi covers were around, but not yet overly prevelant), and the GGA craze wouldn't really start until after the war.

(worship) to your knowledge you dirty MoFo

I know enough to understand that I know very little. :foryou:

I do not beleive overstreet has notated this as a "classic cover" But I want to say ive seen Wonder Woman # 72 From 1993 in a CGC case with a Classic Cover notation...

It's a Brian Bolland Cover, which was used for a statue of some kind, Bowen I beleive.

Sorry no scan

http://cgi.ebay.com/WONDER-WOMAN-72-CLASSIC-BOLLAND-STATUE-COVER-NM_W0QQitemZ350208740511QQcmdZViewItemQQptZLH_DefaultDomain_0?hash=item518a114c9f&_trksid=p3286.m20.l1116