• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Popeye Feature Book (nn) -- my baby finally came home!

68 posts in this topic

Here are some before and after shots for comparison:

FeatureBookbeforeA.jpgFeatureBookafterA.jpg

This must be something along the lines of no one willing to admit the emperor has no clothes on!

Is not anyone concerned that Kenny SHRUNK the book!!!!!! :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o

:jokealert:

Nicely done Kenny and Matt. This books benefits so much from the piece fills. It really is conservation as it appears that the book would have continued to disintegrate otherwise. Great job.

Ze-man

A little info on leaf casting for the ignorant :baiting:

(worship)

Short answer, it is a process where one pulls paper pulp through the missing areas of a document or page filling in the missing area completely. It is a well known process in the conservation field but little used in comics until now.

All I know is compared to old school piece fill, leaf casting is light years ahead of what it offers in both aesthetics, and repair.

Here are some before and after shots for comparison:

FeatureBookbeforeA.jpgFeatureBookafterA.jpg

This must be something along the lines of no one willing to admit the emperor has no clothes on!

Is not anyone concerned that Kenny SHRUNK the book!!!!!! :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o

:jokealert:

I was hoping nobody noticed that!! :frustrated:

But the upside is that now it can easily fit in your back pocket!

:P

Ze-man

A little info on leaf casting for the ignorant :baiting:

(worship)

Short answer, it is a process where one pulls paper pulp through the missing areas of a document or page filling in the missing area completely. It is a well known process in the conservation field but little used in comics until now.

All I know is compared to old school piece fill, leaf casting is light years ahead of what it offers in both aesthetics, and repair.

Very interesting.

Thanks Kenny (thumbs u

(worship)

That is incredible....how much did that cost if you don't mind me asking? I'm trying to decide if I want to send a comic to them..

Um.. a lot. :cry: It's magazine-sized and there are 100 pages. It took WAY more labor than a standard comic would.. at least that's what Kenny kept reminding me. :lol:

Thanks for the positive comments, everyone! Thanks to both Kenny and Matt for coaching me through the process and finding the best solution. I really appreciate the extra effort, Kenny! BRAVO! :thumbsup:

[font:Arial Black]I LOVE MY BOOK![/font] :cloud9::luhv:

Amazing transformation... (thumbs u

No one on this Board would not want to own this book.... :cloud9:

Here is an example of the perfect type of book for restoration. And proof of the type of results that CAN be achieved... :applause:

Even the haters of restored books would have to love this example...

Thanks for all the great pics...and Congrats!!!!!!!! :headbang:!

Wow. I prefer to err on the side of not restoring books, but in this case, this is a clear win. The book has a much better chance of surviving intact now than it did before. Terrific job on the spine! I can't see how anyone could not favor getting that book back in one piece.

A really excellent job here. That is a special rare book that now presents better than any other copy known to exist. The right call was made on the extent of the restoration, and Kenny did an incredible job. I am really interested in learning a little bit more about the leaf casting process.