• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Would you pay a premium to a 9.6/9/8 "agent"?

45 posts in this topic

You clearly don't understand how this works, you aren't a mind reader, and you have no idea what someone else has seen or not seen "in NM."

Yes, clearly you're the business genius and I'm jealous, right? meh

The only way this would ever have a chance of working is if you have a MH2-like stash of CA books in NM+ condition, with reams of multiples across all titles to pick through for the 9.8 copies.

But if you have to do all the legwork finding, grading, etc. on requested books, then it's a big waste of time, as you could use that same comic-book legwork and effort in much more lucrative ways.

You don't understand, and now you're inventing things....again....to cast someone in a poor light, simply because you don't understand, and I guess that really bothers you. I'm not going to bother explaining things to you, because it won't do any good.

You have no idea how it might work, you have no clue what someone has designed, you have no idea what someone has already done, but you imagine you do, and based on nothing but your own limited imagination, you pronounce it "unworkable."

God, it must suck being you.

:foryou:

But hey, thanks for your opinion. As with all ideas, even the naysayers have a place.....

I think Reynold Jay's claiming 70+ of all pre-1990 CGC 9.9 or higher books came from him.

Well, ok, that's certainly possible. That's easily verifiable by submission invoices and the census.

After all, I'm responsible for 100% of the DHP #56 copies in 9.9 or higher.

;)

You don't understand, and now you're inventing things....again....to cast someone in a poor light, simply because you don't understand, and I guess that really bothers you. I'm not going to bother explaining things to you, because it won't do any good.

I guess I'd better follow the rest of the forum, and just let you walk by, babbling your insane "business venture" ramblings as you do so... :preach:

I think Reynold Jay's claiming 70+ of all pre-1990 CGC 9.9 or higher books came from him.

Well, ok, that's certainly possible. That's easily verifiable by submission invoices and the census.

After all, I'm responsible for 100% of the DHP #56 copies in 9.9 or higher.

;)

I think most of his 9.9s are PGX graded. Kinda takes away the luster.

FWIW, I'd do it in a heartbeat if someone would commit to finding the last 20 books I need to finish a handful of sets. My efforts at WW Chicago showed me it isn't any easy task.

I guess I'd better follow the rest of the forum, and just let you walk by, babbling your insane "business venture" ramblings as you do so... :preach:

Yeah, and I guess I should follow the rest of the forum and ignore you.

"business venture"... meh

I think if thats what you like to do anyway why not offer a service for it. At least you get paid for doing something you would be doing anyway. Some enjoy the digging looking for books like that.

They aren't going to get rich doing it, but Ive known buyers in the past who will pay premiums for books to be found in the grade they want. There is a small market there. You wont get rich, but you would likely get a small loyal following who are either too lazy, too remote, lack of access or lack of time. Like he posted above its a lot of work and there might be a little cash in it, but hey if you like doing it enjoy.

reynold jay used to get me tons of cgc 9.8s and 9.9s that i didnt have the time to look for or just couldnt find and if you wanted a 9.8 and it came back 9.9 or 10.0 he would give you the choice to take it for a little bit more.all my 9.9 and 10.0 coppers came from him.his prices now seem a little high considering all the 9.8s out there.

They're not all PGX, either.

Reynold Jay's site also claims that 95% of all pre-1990 10.0 books came from him. And he currently has the 3rd-oldest CGC 10.0 with Captain Canuck # 1 (1975).

I was in negotiations with him 6 years ago to buy 50 raw ("mint") copies Green Lantern: Emerald Dawn # 1 for $3.50 per, but I had to pass when I then bought a 3400 book collection that month.

Best part about his books is that the vast majority have white pages (harder to find on pre-1986 books than you'd think), worst part (again) is he sold most of his keys a few years back.

The question then becomes this: would YOU be willing to pay an "agent" a premium to find books you want that otherwise carry little to no value, but which you would like to own in 9.6/9.8 condition?

Examples: Justice League of America #252

With patience being a big factor, I'll say NO, I would not pay a $75 premium for late JLAs 9.8s. Though the example you gave currently has only 2 copies (I was the underbidder on the one that went for $47 back in Feb), I'm in no hurry. Even if it was the last ish to fill my set, it's not worth a 100+% mark-up.

'Course, this is a very subjective decision to make, but for JLAs specifically, 9.8s are right now going in the $30-40 range. So, not a very good example. Maybe titles on the rise fit better: GL /Iron Man/ Cap/ Thor?

And what about the issue of CGC standards re:eye appeal? Someone could find me a book that structurally passes for a 9.8, but with an ugly mis-wrap? Uh, no thanx.

And lastly Rockster, I can only assume you'd want to begin this service during better financial times? Forking over big buck$ for comics to begin with is insane enough during this economical maelstrom -believe me, I know- but paying even more for this additional service...how many can afford to even consider this? I can see this working to some degree during "days of prosperity," but that sure as helk ain't now.

Rick

And lastly Rockster, I can only assume you'd want to begin this service during better financial times? Forking over big buck$ for comics to begin with is insane enough during this economical maelstrom -believe me, I know- but paying even more for this additional service...how many can afford to even consider this? I can see this working to some degree during "days of prosperity," but that sure as helk ain't now.

Rick

More Millionaires are made during economic downturns than in "days of prosperity". Never judge a project by current economics conditions. They are subject to change. A good idea is a good idea. A bad idea is a bad idea.

Rick

More Millionaires are made during economic downturns than in "days of prosperity". Never judge a project by current economics conditions. They are subject to change. A good idea is a good idea. A bad idea is a bad idea.

Are you suggesting that RockMyAmadeus's idea is a good one--and that it will make him a millionaire in this downturned economic time? :whatthe: Or is that subject to change? :whee:

I've been doing something similar to what you propose for years now. The only thing I don't understand is why you would limit the comics offered. Even if you wanted to offer non-keys for a set price ($40-9.6, $75-9.8) to simplify pricing you would still have to define "non-key".

It is very lucrative and minimizes risk. When I first joined the boards I made the claim that a profit can be made selling MA/CA and this is how I do it. I have a cost accounting background so I do tend to focus on costs and offer much better pricing than is suggested here. For the most part I work off quotes. I ask for a list of comics the customer would like and the required grades and give a quote and timeline. Then I get a deposit and away I go.

If you require any boardie feedback I'm sure my friend directly above me will gladly provide any when he receives his 1st shipment in a couple of weeks :)

Long winded answer RMA but yes people already pay a premium to "agents" but not likely the pricing you refer to. There is no limit as far as which comics can be requested and I would caution you not to limit yourself. GPA is a nice tool but it's not gospel and I sell well below GPA for the most part.

As I understand it, JC's point is that if you spent 20 hours a week doing the work necessary to sell CA/MA's (or even keys & semi keys) that sell for $70 or so; that you'd be better off spending that time in a similar, though not exact, way.

Go and buy high grade CGC or raw SA, BA, GA that are pressable candidates. One 9.0 upgraded to 9.4 can net you thousands on the right book.

Granted this is a crowded field.

The nice part about the agent model is the money is up front. Inventory is limited and the capital costs to get started is minimal.

But lets say you spend a weekend and are able to secure 10 final product books at $100 each final sales price. Even if the profit is $500 that sure seems to be a lot of work. Lets say it's 100 books and average of $70 each. That's $7000 revenue

Costs per book are (back of the napkin)

Let's say it averages 3 books to get a 9.8

$10 in buying books

$8 in prescreen fees on the two books not 9.8's

$17 holder fees

$5 postage (variable expense)

$8 in shipping to client

This is about $40-50 in expense on each book. And the likelyhood of closing out 100 books in a week is very low. 10 books from a weekend show would be incredible if you asked me.

Throw in travel, gas, hotel, backed out deals, returns, damage, etc and wow, this business plan would need to be tight before I put time or money into it.

Instead I spend that same 20 hours at a show with similar expenses and I buy a few $100 books that I press and upgrade to $300 books. No fuss no muss and the same skill set.