• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

HULK #181 sells for $18k

81 posts in this topic

I think 9.8 181's have peaked and settled too.

So why are there so many more Hulk 181's in 9.8 than X-men 94's in 9.8?

Is X-94 a tougher book because of darker colors in the cover? Or production errors?

Because Hulk 181 was in a warehouse find and X-Men 94 was not.

Is X-94 a tougher book because of darker colors in the cover? Or production errors?

makes sense too... was that MH2 or were there others?

Not sure what you mean Dek???... what does one have to do with the other in regards to my opinion about it's market status? 9.8 181 supply has exploded over the past 3 years. When I sold my 2nd copy around 3 years ago, I think there was only 4 or 5 tops in the census... now its 30ish.

That aside... yes, I think XM 94 is tougher in part because of the darker cover.

I mean that ok, maybe Hulk 181 has peaked due to increasing supply, but why is the supply of X-94 not increasing at the same rate. I just found it odd, because both issues have been hoarded and protected for a long time

My opinion is the 94 while desirable does not have the same appeal of a true first appearence. All the characters appear in GSX 1 which I'm surprised has not moved in the last 3 years. X-Men 94 is incredibly hard to get in high grade because of the dep green cover, but when you look at collectibility, it's really second appearances. i had a 181 CGC 9.8 and sold it, i had one of twelve and quickly realized more were turning up each month. I'm convinced the same will be now occur in Sa, just look at the sick numbers HG SA ASM are getting. I mean 52k for a 9.6 ASM #14. That's why I'm focusing on GA. My 2c

Yup, MH2.

And X-Men 94 is hurt by the dark cover, unlike GSX 1 which has a white cover and tons of 9.8 copies.

Yup, MH2.

And X-Men 94 is hurt by the dark cover, unlike GSX 1 which has a white cover and tons of 9.8 copies.

warehouse find doh!

that explains everything

so who are these people paying $18k to $25k for a book that was in a warehouse find? (shrug)

Yup, MH2.

warehouse find doh!

that explains everything

so who are these people paying $18k to $25k for a book that was in a warehouse find? (shrug)

:hi: ... *but when there were only (3) and (4) total respectively at the times. And, 2 other board members too, at least.

(*and cheaper: 10 + a 9.6, and 14 at the times)

I don't understand the obsession with 9.8s. But to each their own. Seems like a lot of dough to me... what do 9.6s go for?

I don't get the obsession with this book ... or Wolverine for that matter.

I don't understand the obsession with 9.8s. But to each their own. Seems like a lot of dough to me... what do 9.6s go for?

How many heroes are the best at what they do? Just one, well maybe not...

If you mean being the best at being retconned, mauled, made into a shadow of a a great character and generally being overused, then use, Wolvie is the best at what he does.

He's Canadian (thumbs u

Collectors are obsessed with Canadians

molsoncanadian-bottleandglass-1.jpg

Once upon a time, Wolverine was a fascinating, unique, well written character. A lot of people have strong residual nostalgic feelings about the Byrne/Claremont era Wolverine.

Once upon a time, Wolverine was a fascinating, unique, well written character. A lot of people have strong residual nostalgic feelings about the Byrne/Claremont era Wolverine.

True that

I mean that ok, maybe Hulk 181 has peaked due to increasing supply, but why is the supply of X-94 not increasing at the same rate. I just found it odd, because both issues have been hoarded and protected for a long time

It's well-known that Hulk 181 was part of massive warehouse finds (like MH2) and far less for X-Men 94.

If you mean being the best at being retconned, mauled, made into a shadow of a a great character and generally being overused, then use, Wolvie is the best at what he does.

As has been mentioned many times before, the puny Modern market has absolutely NOTHING to do with the ultra-high-grade vintage comic market, the majority of which likely haven't read a new comic in 15-20 years.

For a good example of this phenomenon, just check out ASM 122 - it should be a common Goblin appearance since Marvel brought back Norman Osborne, but no one cares and to these buyers it's still the Death of the Green Goblin.

If Moderns actually had an effect, the putrid Origin mini would have killed Wolverine, which in addition to it being horribly written (his last name is Howlett... the moon?) it also made the huge mistake of getting rid of Logan as his first name, replacing it with Jimmy, which in addition to Wolvie's open disdain of the name (James Hudson) it's about 0.0000000000000000000000000001% as cool as Logan.

But no one cares what happens in the Modern world, and most view the last 8-10 years all as one big What If issue.

:gossip: The color covers between X-Men #94 and Hulk #181 have nothing to do with their differences in 9.8. Different colors do not attract more or less physical wear.

Aside from the warehouse find, the busy-ness of artwork along the spine likely has more to do with it. Hulk #181 is a touch busier, which will hide a little better those all important tiny color breakers, plus the non-color breakers, that make or break a 9.8.

:gossip: The color covers between X-Men #94 and Hulk #181 have nothing to do with their differences in 9.8. Different colors do not attract more or less physical wear.

Aside from the warehouse find, the busy-ness of artwork along the spine likely has more to do with it. Hulk #181 is a touch busier, which will hide a little better those all important tiny color breakers, plus the non-color breakers, that make or break a 9.8.

Not so according to a forumite who was a veteran in the print business (possibly our own DiceX, not sure?) and posted on the subject. If memory serves, he claimed that ink quality could vary and cited that "black" and/or "near black" inks commonly used in comic printing were (often) all the other color leftovers mixed together. For whatever exact reason (I can't recall) he stated that "fake black" ink mixtures were not as stable and durable.

But these $25K copies were also NOT perfectly centered, and as many on here have stated, few buyers even care about anything other than the CGC label.

As I mentioned in another thread, we will have a pretty solid data point on this book in a month. Pedigree has a 9.8 white perfectly centered in their august auction.

I wouldn't be surprised to see it close low or high. The market is just whacky. But the trend seems to be slightly downward for that book so we will see.

Not so according to a forumite who was a veteran in the print business (possibly our own DiceX, not sure?) and posted on the subject. If memory serves, he claimed that ink quality could vary and cited that "black" and/or "near black" inks commonly used in comic printing were (often) all the other color leftovers mixed together. For whatever exact reason (I can't recall) he stated that "fake black" ink mixtures were not as stable and durable.

"Black covers are tougher in high grade" is a myth. It's a myth that has since trickled down to any "dark" color, and, now, any "solid" color, across the spectrum.

Now, while I know about the "leftover ink" argument, that doesn't mean it happened all the time, and it would take extensive analysis...analysis that is probably not possible...to prove that argument. Was FF #112 printed with this "less durable" ink? How about Defenders #2? Tomb of Dracula #2? As well, ink quality varied to such an extent that blanket observations about any color cannot be made.

It CERTAINLY doesn't cover books like X-Men #94, which is green.

And it's certainly not true for the "high quality" pieces of printing masterworks that have been printed since the early 90's.

The reality is simple: wear is more visible in solid expanses of printed paper. When there is more linework, wear becomes harder to see.

That doesn't mean that it isn't there.

Of course, people will cite the "census", but CGC graders are just as susceptible to this myth as anyone else. I've seen books graded with 1/4" color breaking cover creases at 9.8..because those color breakers were on the white back cover, and thus were missed.

Some will respond with "well, it's the appearance that matters, and if it's not easy to see, it doesn't count", to which I say that's fine, but then we had better let everyone know that books aren't judged by how much wear they actually have, but how that wear APPEARS on the book.

Call me a kook, I understand that I'm in a minority, and I understand that many of you will think I'm a stupid fool for this, and I'm ok with that.

Frankly, I'm tired of seeing everyone and their brother tout endless "dark covered books" as "TOUGH IN HIGH GRADE!!!!!!" when that's simply not true any more than other-colored books of the same quality and era.

that makes sense actually. it was usually the black cover books that would smudge and fingerprint