• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

The Watcher's woefully incomplete (but long) WW Chicago con report

68 posts in this topic

WWC09IX.jpg

hm You actually do look like the heat mizer.

hm

wow. If I posted my pic, pre-goatee and head shave, we could be brothers.

I am very, very sorry for you. I mean us.

Fun weekend.

That dinner was a blast. When you get that many of us in a room with that much alcohol the jokes just write themselves really.

The best things to come out of that dinner are

1) Transplant will never make the mistake of claiming that the original collector in pedigree collections is something special without checking him out first. :wishluck:

2) 1koko might finally get off his and stop being an embarassment to his family. lol

3) Vinnie coming sooo close to having a Pearl Necklace to give Steve. :grin:

4) A lot of appreciation for the people around us even when though we have our differences and differing opinions and even if some people don't follow through with headshaving basketball bets that would have given the rest of us years of entertainment.

Great seeing you all, thanks for the report Angelo.

Best,

Chris

That was far and away the most fun I've had at a Forum dinner. And somehow I walked away with Borock's wins from the charity auction lol

I read through most (all?) of the Chicago show threads. I haven't seen anyone mention how hilarious Borock was during the auction. I'm talking regularly bidding on his own items, outbidding himself when he was the high bidder, almost leaving with his FF 1 still on the mantle...or is this just normal stuff for you guys that already knew him?

But seriously, he donated a TON of stuff to that auction. A very cool gesture.

I read through most (all?) of the Chicago show threads. I haven't seen anyone mention how hilarious Borock was during the auction. I'm talking regularly bidding on his own items, outbidding himself when he was the high bidder, almost leaving with his FF 1 still on the mantle...or is this just normal stuff for you guys that already knew him?

Many of us have seen Steve B drink before, so it was par for the course for him lol Seriously, he did a wonderful thing by donating the items to the auction and bidding on the same. Steve's a really good guy and fun to be around (thumbs u

Great Report, TW!

:applause: :applause: :applause:

Thank you very much :) I'm sure I forgot about many happenings, but they'll come to me eventually

I'm jealous of you guys, for sure. The closest I will likely come to making one of the big cons will be Heroes in NC, and I really look forward to meeting as many of you guys as I can.

There's no substitution for the real thing.

Many of us have seen Steve B drink before, so it was par for the course for him lol Seriously, he did a wonderful thing by donating the items to the auction and bidding on the same. Steve's a really good guy and fun to be around (thumbs u

I mentioned it in my report. At one point during the auction I yelled out something about him being a Heritage employee but nobody heard it. The someone else did and it broke everyone up.

Borock was over the top.

Drew is wasonff, not drewincanada. :gossip:

All those damn Canadians are named Drew :mad:

Some are Roy.

:baiting:

Great report Angelo.

(thumbs u

I agree, Steve not only was willing to let go of some personal items, he was willing to buy them back if the bids did not meet his cost. He was plowed but somehow was still on his game.

Sort of..

I have 6 videos of the auctions uploading that are taking forever. There were some really good hearted laughs all around during the auction.

I agree, Steve not only was willing to let go of some personal items, he was willing to buy them back if the bids did not meet his cost. He was plowed but somehow still on his game.

Sort of..

I have 6 videos of the auctions uploading that are taking forever. There were some really good hearted laughs all around during the auction.

I think the funniest part was when he was actually bidding for other board members....who weren't going to bid.

Drew is wasonff, not drewincanada. :gossip:

All those damn Canadians are named Drew :mad:

Some are Roy.

:baiting:

Great report Angelo.

(thumbs u

I knew I was going to mess up someone's name eventually lol Thanks, Roy

I mentioned it in my report. At one point during the auction I yelled out something about him being a Heritage employee but nobody heard it. The someone else did and it broke everyone up.

Borock was over the top.

I heard your comment, but I was too busy laughing at Chris' jokes. I missed many of the bids because of him lol

One of the joys of the weekend was seeing Joe Sarno and his lovely wife there. It was great seeing Joe walking around and enjoying himself. It just doesn't feel the same without him

Joe and his wife

WWC09VIII-1.jpg

The father of the Chicago Comic-Con!

I had spoken to his daughter a few weeks ago & she said he missed last year due to hip replacement. I was hoping to see him this year but was never able. The Comic Kingdom was my LCS until I bowed out in the mid '90s. A true embassador to the hobby. Thanks for sharing.

Angelo, great report! I am so glad to see a photo of Sarno bee bopping around the Con floor. Ellen was crushed she had to leave the dinner because she wanted to sit next to you. :(

And not that it really matters but that piece she made for Greggy was a Birthday Card not an auction item. It was hilarious seeing him realize who it was inside the closed off booth(which she promptly crawled under) only to hear him say over and over..."Go away, get out..go away" And Ellen saying "No"

:roflmao:

Greggy was a really sport though.

One of the joys of the weekend was seeing Joe Sarno and his lovely wife there. It was great seeing Joe walking around and enjoying himself. It just doesn't feel the same without him

Joe and his wife

WWC09VIII-1.jpg

The father of the Chicago Comic-Con!

I had spoken to his daughter a few weeks ago & she said he missed last year due to hip replacement. I was hoping to see him this year but was never able. The Comic Kingdom was my LCS until I bowed out in the mid '90s. A true embassador to the hobby. Thanks for sharing.

he's wonderful person to talk with and it was a joy to see him there. I helped Joe set up for a couple of years, but he's missed the last couple of cons. Such a sweet guy, and like you said, an ambassador to the hobby.