• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

OT: Really tough weekend...

19 posts in this topic

Just need to vent a little...a little backround first...I am a restaurant manager for a chain restaurant. 2 Saturdays ago 8/2 I was on a closing shift...at about 12:45 one of my cooks comes into the office and tells me that Benito, one of my cooks who had been with us since 2001 was sick. I went to the line and saw that he had collapsed. It was hot and at first I thought he had just passed out...he wasn't responding and my next thought was that maybe he was diabetic, get him some juice. I am able to understand Spanish as I've worked in restaurants for 15+ years and took it in HS/college. I overheard one of the cooks saying that he said "Es malo, es malo" (it's bad, it's bad) and put his hands on his chest. I ran and called 911 while yelling at my servers to see if anyone knew CPR...a guest came back and checked his breathing/pulse. He was not breathing and did not have a pulse. We had him propped on a chair and lifted him of the cooks line to lay him down in the back. Police/paramedics arrived and performed CPR and used a difribulator (sp?) to get his heart started again. They took him away in an ambulance. We called his family to let them know what happened. It was horrific watching as they "shocked" him 4 times with no results...his face/chest were turning blue...I'll never forget that...I called the hospital to see what info they could give me...they couldn't tell me anything because of HIPA laws...I figured that but I took the shot anyway...we closed early as everyone was in shock. I drove to the hospital and asked about Benito...they told me they'd get the family. His wife and his 11 year old son came out to tell me that Benito had died. What do you say to a wife and kid who's husband/father just died?? I was able to choke out I'm so sorry, if there's anything we can do just let us know. Less than a month ago, my cousins husband died of cystic fybrosis at the age of 34 and it made me think, kind of put things in perspective about what's important...my cousin has a 7 month old...then 2 weeks ago Nik passes and once again it puts life in perspective, I didn't know NIk personally, but we chatted a few times via PM and I enjoyed reading his posts...then a few days later I watch one of my cooks die...I'm tired of perspective...I get it already. Thanks for letting me vent, and please god, no more perspective...

All the best to you...I had the same thing happen to our kitchen

manager years ago,And working in a rest. you get

close as heck with your co-workers.

Try not to let it get you down too much.

My thoughts are with you.

J

Thanks for the vent. We lost my mother six weeks ago after a painfully short bout of pneumonia, and my best friend Mike to cystic fibrosis some thirty years ago. There are no answers, or perspective, or fairness in life. Condolence to Benito's family.

So sorry to hear about all that and I hope you're feeling better soon. It's been a pretty rough summer for a lot of folks. In June we lost our mother-in-law to cancer. Last week we lost our grandfather. A friend of mine committed suicide. I watched an employee where I work die while CPR was being performed. :sorry:

It gets hard to manage it all, but somehow you do. Yeah, I've had enough "perspective" this year and I'm sure I'm not alone.

All my best to you. Keep your chin up (thumbs u

That is a horrible story. I used to work in kitchens in college so I know the environment well. Very sad indeed.... :sorry:

It does seem like bad things happen in groups sometimes, close together in a timeline. The summer has been a bit rough for my family too.

It always reminds me to take advantage of the day and appreciate how lucky we are to be here.

Life is short, make it count.

((((HUGS)))) to you.any of you who want one...it's Okay you can vent here..If anyone has a problem with that they can take it up with me..

BigHulkfan..you did everything you could right..so it was just one of those crappy things that happen..but at least you cared enough to try to help him when he was in need. Some bosses wouldn't have worried about anything other than not having a cook. At least you have a heart!

(((HUGS))) again to you !

Thanks for letting me vent, and please god, no more perspective...

Bill, I am so sorry to hear this. And you were very kind in offering me assistance recently, which says a lot about you in that you don't even know me.

Wishing you plenty of good fortune in getting through these trying experiences.

that is horrible. han is right, you tried everything. sometimes everything is not enough.

i saw many episodes like that when i worked in an er for 3 years when i was 18. it's tough even if you don't know the person or the family, it is hard to keep it together.

j

Man, life throws some serious things at us when we least expect it.

Sorry to hear about the tough weekend.

:foryou:

I believe that things happen to those that can handle them and that everything happens for a reason. It seems that everyone is stretched to their limits.

I hope that you somehow can use this as an experience to learn from at the very least. Everyone can agree that it's tough when going through a rough patch to see anything good in it but every negative experience has a flip side.

Wishing you the best as you deal with this.

(thumbs u

I feel for you man and I'm sorry to hear that,

but this is a bad year for me and a lot of other people

all I can say is that if you make it through this year

unscathed you doing something good.

:foryou:

Hang in there.

_w