• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Transplant's LOOOOOONNNNNGGGG WW Chicago 2009 trip report

57 posts in this topic

Here goes. Not a lot of pictures, nor many interesting or funny stories. For that matter, not much reason to read. Carry on.

The highlight of my drive up to Chicago was making the decision to purchase the new Wilco album from my phone and then listening to it. Technology is great. I heard a song on my satellite radio, decided to buy the album from a digital music store via a phone with internet capability. After it finished downloading, I played it on my car stereo and then decided to tell my facebook friends how much I liked it. All without stopping the car.

Pulled up to the hotel and had to waive off the valet as I remembered I had forgotten to buy beer for the cooler I brought. A quick trip to the store later and I was on my way back. Got to the Hyatt just in time to see Roy walking from the Con into the hotel. I hadn't even gotten out of my car yet and the trip was going downhill. :baiting: Found out that Bedrock was coming by in a van to go to Greggy's birthday dinner at Giordano's. So I ran to park my car, drop my stuff off and come down to the lobby just as everyone was getting anxious waiting on me. It was nice to hop in the van and immediately see Roy, Louise, Rick/Gator, George/1koko, Steve/143ksk, Richard's friend Cory and Richard/Mr.Bedrock.

Arriving at the restaurant, I saw my friends Arex and Jim/DrWatson, as well as Greggy and ToonTumbler's Paul/silverandbronze. Ted VanLiew and Andrew/GACollectibles arrived after we had been outside-affiliatelinksnotallowed Dinner was good but we ordered way too much pizza. I had to explain to some of our midwestern cohorts that people in the South don't drink soda. We drink Coke. The only question is what flavor of "Coke" do you want. I committed to being a defender for Rick's basketball game the next morning, after only 1 beer before I had even been drinking.

IMG_0139.jpg

Doc (existing on another temporal plane), Cory, Ted and Andrew's arm.

IMG_0138.jpg

Arex and Greggy.

When we got back to the hotel and the proposed time was divulged, I politely insisted that not only would I not be participating, but they shouldn't expect anyone else either. Only problem was no one bothered to let Ted and Andrew, who had also committed, know about the cancellation.

End of Part 1. Due to actual work needing to be done, part 2 will have to wait until this evening. It won't be worth it so don't wait anxiously.

Glad you got some pics of Giordano's.

:applause:

To be fair Bedrock and the gang were not anxiously awaiting you as they had also just arrived but it was funny to watch you try to get through every locked door in the hotel before you finally made it outside.

:foryou:

Part 2 highlights include:

Me getting Roy-ed on a book at Harley's.

I lean on the influence of powerful friends.

I don't eat carrots.

CGC submission results.

If someone in your travel group has a good idea to split a cab back to the hotel, leave them there and fill the cab up with other people.

Greeks order Greek food well, not so much on the poker abilities though.

Florida fans know sports, even less on the poker skills.

LSU fans (at least 1) know sports better, play better poker.

Books no one wants to see.

Feeding frenzies, parts 1 and 2.

George Perez offers speed dating, I fail at speed grading.

If you're drinking, don't take responsibility for another drunk's obligations.*

If you're drinking, don't leave home without a cooler full of beer.

If you're drinking, DO talk to a Wizard rep for forever and make it as uncomfortable as possible for them.

*Girls in wheelchairs dig Fawcetts.

Glad you got some pics of Giordano's.

:applause:

To be fair Bedrock and the gang were not anxiously awaiting you as they had also just arrived but it was funny to watch you try to get through every locked door in the hotel before you finally made it outside.

:foryou:

Automatic doors are overrated.

If you're drinking, DO talk to a Wizard rep for forever and make it as uncomfortable as possible for them.

Classic

:roflmao:

I wish now I stayed for the beer cooler, but I thought it was a real move to charge everyone $8 a beer, for domestic even.

:jokealert:

Classic

I wish now I stayed for the beer cooler, but I thought it was a real move to charge everyone $8 a beer, for domestic even.

Yeah, poor Peter from Wizard was getting mercilessly tag teamed by Mike and George (Koko)

If someone in your travel group has a good idea to split a cab back to the hotel, leave them there and fill the cab up with other people.

I was watching you guys take off and was like uhhhh, where are they going. I took a cab back solo, and the driver turned out to be a pretty funny guy.

Classic

Yeah, poor Peter from Wizard was getting mercilessly tag teamed by Mike and George (Koko)

I hope they used lube

Classic

I hope they used lube

I hope they didn't. Turn about's fair play...

Part 2:

So after getting to sleep in on Thursday way past when the basketball game was scheduled, I made my way to the con floor. After picking up my badge, I entered the hall. It was immediately apparent that Marvel and DC were not there. Nothing really was set up by the entrance. I headed immediately back to Bedrock's booth and it was great.

IMG_1251.jpg

IMG_1252.jpg

Most of Thursday was just spent strolling the floor and/or hanging at Richard's or Dales booths. I looked around for Leroy Harper (lhcomics) who didn't get there until afternoon. When he did, Wizard didn't have a sign on his late-booked booth, so the dealer next to him had spread out on Leroy's half. After some scrambling, Wizard got Leroy a full 20' booth a few spots down from Bedrock near the back of the hall. This would prove to be very lucky for Leroy later.

I had never been at a con during setup when I wasn't help someone set up. This was my first experience with a feeding frenzy. Frenzy #1 - several dealers diving into headband dude's boxes. Boardies were focused on the stuff out front (SA/BA). The BSD primarily were looking at the GA boxes behind the booth.

IMG_1250.jpg

Bought one Four Color book that I felt was undergraded. The same book in the same box was in a bag marked with a higher grade and I thought it was a shade overgraded. Maybe switched at some point? I headed to my room and did a quick change for the Thursday night Greek dinner. Met George and Rick and several others to walk to the train station. The others included szelim, Foolkiller, cowright, not-so BigMike, and I know I'm forgetting someone (a friend of Mike's?) (apologies). Szelim is really tricky. On meeting him earlier in the day I asked for his name and he said szelim. To which I replied, No, what's your real name. To which he showed how tricky he is by saying Szelim. Chicago has a really intelligent train system. For instance, we were smartly forced to board a car that packed nearly full because the doors on a virtually empty car never opened. On the LONG ride downtown, Brian stated that he was planning to take a cab back. Good idea we all said.

Dinner was a fun but subdued event. Sitting with Rick, George, Szelim, Brian/FK and dem1138, we put our fate in the hands of the Cypriot. The black sheep of his family George ordered all the appetizers for the table and made spot on recommendations for dinner. The food was great and the company was better. A somber toast was made for Nik. Everyone also sang an early Happy Birthday (royalties be damned) to Greggy.

As I was being dragged out the door by Rick, George and Szelim, I tried to get Brian's attention. Sometimes you just have to leave a man behind and I did, much to my shame.

IMG_0148.jpg

IMG_0147.jpg

IMG_0145.jpg

Ran into a St Louis collector in the bar at the Hyatt. Spent a little time with Roy and Lou. Met John (Spidey on Tilt) who is a strong personality to say the least but a nice guy.

Forgot to mention that I went to Buck Biggins' pop culture pin booth Thursday afternoon. He and I discussed the making of the pins as well as books, etc. He was nice enough to hold back a full set of the Goon pins for me to pick up later. While I was there, I got my card from Matthew/Shiverbones. Matt hadn't done the sketch yet but amazingly finished while I was at the booth.

IMG_1253.jpg

I'm fairly sure this is the evil eye.

image-12.jpg

I had never been at a con during setup when I wasn't help someone set up. This was my first experience with a feeding frenzy. Frenzy #1 - several dealers diving into headband dude's boxes. Boardies were focused on the stuff out front (SA/BA). The BSD primarily were looking at the GA boxes behind the booth.

IMG_1250.jpg

When this picture was taken at headband dude's booth, I think I was kneeling on the floor looking thru the DC junk.

IMG_1250.jpg

When this picture was taken at headband dude's booth, I think I was kneeling on the floor looking thru the DC junk.

:gossip: For the record you should not put "Kneeling on the floor" and "looking thru junk" in the same sentence and expect to get out unscathed on this board. (thumbs u

Best,

Chris

Friday was spent scouring the floor for early Actions, Duck books, Raboy covers, pretty much whatever catches my eye. I didn't buy anything for awhile but I almost did. Harley had a nice war cover Action. I couldn't pull the trigger and Harley warned me as I walked away that he was expecting a local guy who buys Actions and Adventures. About 5-10 minutes later when I got some good advice from MCMiles, I went back to get the book and it was gone. I had been Roy-ed.

I was able to geek my troubles away by taking one of many strolls around the room with 1koko. When we passed the Metro booth and I wondered aloud what the resto was on the Action #1, George suggested we go behind and take a look. Now I've never felt real comfortable behind their table but George was given the red carpet treatment. I was the beneficiary. They must have forgotten that I had ribbed the a little about the bad booth placement directly across from a loud video game booth.

IMG_0151.jpg

I somehow ended up glomming my way onto the annual Mexican dinner of 1koko, Gator, Parker, 143ksk, Corey and a friend of Richard's who is a buy DC war guy. They were very nice to let me come. At dinner I realized you never challenge Parker's sports trivia knowledge. I left $5 poorer for the education. Most of us made our way to the poker game, trying to educate Rick on poker hand rankings all the way. Nothing good came of the poker game I outlasted everyone but the players who made the money. :frustrated: And no, Rick, your 2 pair of Js and 8s does not beat the other guys Ks and 4s. As an aside, Wizard was nice enough to donate a table in Anaheim to the prize pool. Congrats to boardie cowright who won the whole shebang. Didn't get back to the hotel room until close to 3am.

Earlier in the day I had picked up some books from CGC that I dropped off on Thursday. I submitted a double cover book for grading. When I picked it up, there was no double cover designation. Bradley caught it in advance and warned me. They took the book back to have it reholdered and checked. Some of you may recall that at Chicago last year I had submitted a Thor #337 that I did not know was a double cover. This is the book. At the time, I speculated that something happened to the book in transit with me as it was an 8.5. I had Matt press out some indentions and a ncb. When the book first came back with no dc marking, I was still excited because the grade was 9.4. Since CGC grades the outer (usually the weakest) and the inner and takes the best one, I knew it was at least a 9.4. Later in the day Bradley called me to let me know the book was back and it was a double cover. It was better than a 9.4.

image-7.jpg