• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Holy Grail of OA?

70 posts in this topic

looking at the jpg now, I agree the figure is much more dynamic, but don't you think DC wanted the changes to change the arrow's trajectory, basically? On the unpubbed version it looks like GA is about to sink an arrow into GL's back instead of into the lantern. The reworked version makes the concept more clear IMO even if the execution is less dynamic. The whole point of the published 76 cover, to me, is that GL with GA's help is breaking free of previous conventions (symbolized by the shattered lantern). That idea just doesn't come across in the original layout.

Its a shame they went away from neal's original lettering layout though. The published lettering is too tame.

I think you hit the nail on the head. When I looked at it, that's exactly what I thought. It looks like GA is aiming for GL, instead of the lantern.

I actually prefer the published cover alot more than the unpublished one.

What is the most significant piece of OA that is known to exist?

How about Frazetta's cover to Weird Science-Fantasy 29? Excluding complete stories, is there any single page or cover known to exist that would likely fetch as much or more in a public auction? If so, what would it be? (shrug)

According to a fellow board member, the cover to GL #76 is supposed to reside in a private collection in California. Was this one of the "stolen" pieces of Adams artwork? I wonder where some of the others reside now?

My guess is that this would fetch more than the HOS #92, but it would be interesting to see them both up together to put it to a test. :applause:

I've never heard where the published GL 76 cover is, but the half inked unpublished cover that was printed in the first Art of Neal Adams book was sold about 7 years ago. In my opinion, it would have been (and is) far superior to the published version. Don't know why they made Neal change it. While the unpublished version would be worth far less than the published, I kick myself for not aggressively pursuing the unpublished, but did not know it could be had for the right price. Guess the old saw about everything having a price is true.

Scott Williams

looking at the jpg now, I agree the figure is much more dynamic, but don't you think DC wanted the changes to change the arrow's trajectory, basically? On the unpubbed version it looks like GA is about to sink an arrow into GL's back instead of into the lantern. The reworked version makes the concept more clear IMO even if the execution is less dynamic. The whole point of the published 76 cover, to me, is that GL with GA's help is breaking free of previous conventions (symbolized by the shattered lantern). That idea just doesn't come across in the original layout.

Its a shame they went away from neal's original lettering layout though. The published lettering is too tame.

You know, I can't argue with your observation, and I always suspected that the reason for the change is exactly due to the reason in your critique. I feel that the drawing, the design and the inking is so superior in the unpublished version that the artist in me strongly prefers it to the published, even though I have to admit that the INTENT of the cover is truly sacrificed. And since this relaunch was about ideas, the unpublished cover does not succeed in this regard. Good post!

Scott Williams

What is the most significant piece of OA that is known to exist?

How about Frazetta's cover to Weird Science-Fantasy 29? Excluding complete stories, is there any single page or cover known to exist that would likely fetch as much or more in a public auction? If so, what would it be? (shrug)

:cloud9:

Hard to imagine anything known to fetch more - does anyone have a pic of the OA?

the rest in chronological order as historical items:

Planet Comics #1 (art does exist) 1st sf comic

IF the first horror comic should be on the list it is Eerie #0 from Avon.

Crypt of Terror #17 .. well why shouldn't it be??

Showcase #4 - silver age start

Flash #105 - 1st SA hero title

FF #1

ASM #1

Spidey #1

And here's Jon Berk's amazing Planet Comics #1 cover: http://www.comicartfans.com/GalleryPiece.asp?Piece=39725&GSub=44237