• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Holy Grail of OA?

70 posts in this topic

I'm not an OA collector but I'm very curious: what is the known holy grail of OA, other than the AF15 that was donated not too long ago? The reason I ask is, I know much of the older material was never saved...I assume the cover of Action 1 would be the priciest piece of comic art if it was known to still exist, but I'm thinking that one is lost in time. What is the most significant piece of OA that is known to exist?

Did all his original art survive? I'm just very curious what the Action 1 of the OA art world might be. I'm sure there is some very cool stuff that's been locked away for decades that no one knows about, but what is the most valuable piece known to survive? Would it be something at Geppis? What got me thinking about this was looking at the German copy of Cap 1 that is for sale here, and I was wondering if the cover art was still around.

One man's Holy Grail is another man's nice collectible.

If you're talking most valuable, you'll find varying opinions here.

Most significant? Arguments will arise.

Most wanted by any individual collector? Well, or me, it would be the cover to TALES OF SUSPENSE #49 -- my first comic and the comic that hooked me on comics. On this board, I'm alone in considering this the Holy Grail.

For many of the fans here, you're right, AF 15 or Action #1 are probably the goods.

great question... I'd be interested to hear about some of the best works known to exist as well.

There's got to be a big key SA marvel cover or two in existence, no? Certainly many of the big splashes exist as we've seen although they'd probably be trumped by the covers to lesser books.

One man's Holy Grail is another man's nice collectible.

If you're talking most valuable, you'll find varying opinions here.

Most significant? Arguments will arise.

Most wanted by any individual collector? Well, or me, it would be the cover to TALES OF SUSPENSE #49 -- my first comic and the comic that hooked me on comics. On this board, I'm alone in considering this the Holy Grail.

For many of the fans here, you're right, AF 15 or Action #1 are probably the goods.

true enough, I guess you have to go with most valuable (which is subjective, I realize, but somewhat reasonable extrapolations can be made)

Funny you should mention ToS 49, I just picked up a nice copy a couple of days ago because I like the cover so much. I remember a couple of years ago someone was auctioning off the entire Iron Man story from ToS 39, asking price was one million $USD, don't believe he got it.

Anyway, I know there is a lot of subjectivity in my question, but I'm just wondering what is the oldest, most significant piece of art that has survived.

oldest? if you mean GA specifically there's at least these contenders that have been around lately

-supes 14 cover

-bats 11 cover

- action 1 cut up panels

- early tec covers... fishler

- barks pieces

- a couple of schomburg covers

- a Marvel 1 subby page

- frazetta covers (the buster crabbe cover on CAF is probably my favorite piece on CAF)

- and god knows what else.

but I think a really prime SA piece would/could be worth more

Nice (but not supes 14 nice) SA pieces lately included the avengers 1, TOS 39, and xmen 1 splashes, but I don't really know what's out there in terms of covers. A few ditko spidey covers are said to be around, and it would be interesting to know what the earliest/best kirby ff cover in existence is

The B&B #34 cover exists as well. It wouldn't be the most valuable cover in existence though.

There were rumors that the Captain America #1 cover existed along with the complete X-Men #1 book. The X-Men #1 book surfaced, but I've never seen the Cap #1 cover come to market. If it does exist, then I'd make the case that it would be the most significant single piece.

I've long heard that the CA#1 cover might exist as well from the same source as the xmen1 book... but I also recall hearing that the one person who had seen it was convinced it was a recreation. Still, a recreation by Kirby or Simon would be a cool thing.

Oh, and I once had a dream that I found the Action 1 cover in an old ladie's attic in Las Vegas, NM.... does that count?? Sad, that I actually dream about this stuff... zzz:P

The B&B #34 cover exists as well. It wouldn't be the most valuable cover in existence though.

There were rumors that the Captain America #1 cover existed along with the complete X-Men #1 book. The X-Men #1 book surfaced, but I've never seen the Cap #1 cover come to market. If it does exist, then I'd make the case that it would be the most significant single piece.

The Cap #1 cover does not exist. KK claimed to own it about 10 years ago. I rest my case.

Stephen

cool, thanks. I've actually always thought that was kind of a funny looking cover though. The monster's head is way too big for its body

The Cap #1 cover does not exist. KK claimed to own it about 10 years ago. I rest my case.

Stephen

anything you do know about that you can fill us in on ? besides flash 123 ;)

Yes, but didn't he also claim to own several large art ASM covers?...... hmmmmm. hm

Stephen