• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

need GPA for Civil War Frontline Wizard World Chicago 9.8

106 posts in this topic

Yes I own a shop.

Where?

3128536859_7bd66e020c_o.jpg:gossip:

"Florida? What kind of name is FLORIDA???"

Hey, that's somebody's WIFE you are talking about...COME ON!!!

(that'd be a lot funnier if the idiotas who own Family Guy weren't so stingy about clip sharing on the internet. Cause it's actually Florida herself asking the question. ;) )

(but props on the Class A Zing lol (thumbs u )

Wow a kabillion jokes & stupid comments. Wont make the mistake of asking for info on the board again. Far as paying for GPA I suppose I should although I never send in books when I purchase raw collections. Just not my thing , was just trying to help a walk in figure out what he had.

Wow a kabillion jokes & stupid comments. Wont make the mistake of asking for info on the board again. Far as paying for GPA I suppose I should although I never send in books when I purchase raw collections. Just not my thing , was just trying to help a walk in figure out what he had.

Whambulance.jpg

Whambulance.jpg

Ah yes, the "can I have GPA" info. Followed by the "insert snide comments". lol I love these threads.

If anyone is so inclined to use the search function, maybe they could tell us how many requests we've gotten for GPA. Maybe that would be an indicator of whether or not George should look into a pay to play system.

The funny thing is, I won't pay the 10 bucks a month. But I could see myself paying $3-5 bucks a month for the very specific cases where I am buying a book. Just this past 2 weeks I picked up Avengers 25 and 57. Both sellers were kind enough to post recent GPA notes in their sales threads (which nobody ever seems to scream at them for hm ). I gladly would have payed $1.00 each to look up info on both books myself.

In the long run, I might spend $20-$40 annually looking up a book here and there. But I don't think I'll spend $10/month. I'm sure there are others who share this sentiment.

And now that I mentioned it.............how come nobody scolds sellers when they publish GPA in their sales threads. Foolkiller did it the other day with some great books. I don't recall a tongue lashing. In a sense, he was giving the info out too, even though nobody requested it. Maybe there's a big difference there. I don't see it though. 2c

ps: What the h-e-double hockey sticks is a kabillion? :insane:

Whambulance.jpg

Ah yes, the "can I have GPA" info. Followed by the "insert snide comments". lol I love these threads.

Oh, my snide comment wasn't about asking for GPA. It was about the whining.

lol

The beauty of the Internet is you can be snide to people without risking getting your handed to you. Thanks to a boardie for the info I asked for. Guess I'll go pay for GPA to avoid further abuse from people with nothing better to do.

The funny thing is, I won't pay the 10 bucks a month. But I could see myself paying $3-5 bucks a month for the very specific cases where I am buying a book. Just this past 2 weeks I picked up Avengers 25 and 57. Both sellers were kind enough to post recent GPA notes in their sales threads (which nobody ever seems to scream at them for hm ). I gladly would have payed $1.00 each to look up info on both books myself.

In the long run, I might spend $20-$40 annually looking up a book here and there. But I don't think I'll spend $10/month. I'm sure there are others who share this sentiment.

+1,000,000

I don't sell slabs very often, and extremely rarely buy them, so don't want to buy GPA. The $10 I would be paying a month would be money I throw out.

I just picked up a collection with 20 slabs in it. I would have HAPPILY paid $1 each to check them all.

There ought to be a way where I could buy a one day subscription to GPA, something like that. I'm positive there are many people who would do this in a heartbeat. (thumbs u

The beauty of the Internet is you can be snide to people without risking getting your handed to you. Thanks to a boardie for the info I asked for. Guess I'll go pay for GPA to avoid further abuse from people with nothing better to do.

yeah i dont know, i asked one time for AF 15 before i picked up my copy and i didnt get anything for helpful info...

this forum is funny like that i guess

If I had to Psycho-analyze the board's response I would have to use the following analogy to try and figure it out:

You go to a convention. You walk up to a dealer or a stranger that you obviously don't know and you say "can you give me your OSPG? I want to sell a book to someone else/buy a book from someone else". They might not be apt to give you something that they paid for, for free, just because you asked for it.

However, if you walked up to that same dealer and you asked about a book on his wall and asked him for what the OSPG value is on that book he would be willing to give you that information. You are engaging with that person in a potential transaction and not simply pumping them for information.

Similarly, if you go into that convention, to a dealer you know well, or up to a fellow convention goer that you know well and ask them to see their price guide, they would almost never say no, unless you had nacho cheese on your fingers.

I guess it's about asking people to give you something for free when it's something that they paid for, when they don't know you. I would assume that people on this board that know fellow boardies well would not post asking for this information if they could get it via PM.

You'd ask your buddy "hey you gonna finish those fries?" but you wouldn't go up to a complete stranger and ask the same thing, much less stand in the middle of the food court in the mall and say "Who's got EXTRA FRIES?"

I guess that's why the smart comments come, if I had to hazard to answer.

Best,

Chris

If I had to Psycho-analyze the board's response I would have to use the following analogy to try and figure it out:

You go to a convention. You walk up to a dealer or a stranger that you obviously don't know and you say "can you give me your OSPG? I want to sell a book to someone else/buy a book from someone else". They might not be apt to give you something that they paid for, for free, just because you asked for it.

However, if you walked up to that same dealer and you asked about a book on his wall and asked him for what the OSPG value is on that book he would be willing to give you that information. You are engaging with that person in a potential transaction and not simply pumping them for information.

Similarly, if you go into that convention, to a dealer you know well, or up to a fellow convention goer that you know well and ask them to see their price guide, they would almost never say no, unless you had nacho cheese on your fingers.

I guess it's about asking people to give you something for free when it's something that they paid for, when they don't know you. I would assume that people on this board that know fellow boardies well would not post asking for this information if they could get it via PM.

You'd ask your buddy "hey you gonna finish those fries?" but you wouldn't go up to a complete stranger and ask the same thing, much less stand in the middle of the food court in the mall and say "Who's got EXTRA FRIES?"

I guess that's why the smart comments come, if I had to hazard to answer.

Best,

Chris

It's a good analysis and makes sense. Especially considering that those who sometimes make comments have GPA and/or are friends with George and want him to succeed. I have no beef with that at all.

I just think it's sort of an oddity that it's one of those things that fosters nothing but negativity in our little community.

On the one hand your explanation makes perfect sense. And on the other I find some issue with it in that nobody ever scolds a seller who quotes GPA data. Why not? Is the argument essentially that you bought GPA, and therefore can do what you like with it? In the end, you're still disseminating information publicly that some haven't paid for. I would argue that's a more egregious "mistake" than simply responding to the individual who asks for something specific.

If somebody asks for GPA and you don't want to give it to them, keep it to yourself. These comments that are sometimes made aren't meant at all to be constructive. If somebody who has GPA wants to divulge that info, then so be it. If the request falls on deaf ears, then so be it.

But don't ream somebody who asks for GPA. If you want to make a polite, constructive response then do so. Why not be a spokesman for GPA? Why not say something in a way that is informative and may lead somebody to see the virtue of picking up GPA. Seems alot better than being an about it and making that person more likely to not only not want anything to do with GPA, but potentially make them also think everyone on the boards is a person_who_is_obnoxiously_self-impressed and get soured on the community as a whole. Seems counterproductive to the goal of having a community.

If I knew next to nothing about GPA and asked for data and got 2 responses such as:

"hey, GPA has been really helpful to me, you should check it out....it's only 10 bucks a month and you can cancel it whenever you like."

or

"hey $uck face, it's only $10 you cheap ba$"

which response do you think is going to be more constructive?

Just my $5 and 2c