• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Big Apple Con Jan 24th Forum Luncheon or Dinner

98 posts in this topic

This is the third of these little get-togethers I've been to and it's been fun everytime.

Folks pulled out their books and showed 'em around -- I forgot who had the 9.2 FF #10 -- but it was a doozy.

It's nice to see that us comic book junkies are simply great people ti get together with and chew the fat. I did alot of chatting with Paul (silver & bronze) about variants. Unfortunately I didn't find any I needed at the show tonofbricks.gif but it was great looking around.

Kudos to Dam for setting everything up. If I come out to Philly later in the year, I hope we all can do it again. 893applaud-thumb.gif

I also had a great time at luch. Sadly I arrived quite late and was on one end of a looong table so I didn't get much chance to converse with the folks waay down the other end.I hope this lunch thing becomes a tradition.

I did quite well at the show. Went there looking for a VGish Avengers 4 and came home with a VF instead.Saw some old retailer friends that I hadn't seen in years and made a few new connections.

Picked up a few nice TOSs including a 39,the first black Widow,Mandarin and Hawkeye,a fantastic Adventure 354 in a dollar box,A nice JLA27 for $22.00 and most importantly DVDs of the old Cap and Thor cartoons from the 60s.

Had an incredibly one sided conversation with Richie Muchen that went something like this

May I see that Avengers 4 on the wall.RM-in a minute. ME(after several minutes while he read a newspaper)-What shape is that book in? RM-I guess around whatever shape a book should be in that I'm asking $500 dollars for. Me-Can I see it? RM-Do you want it for $500? Me-Depends on the condition. RM-goes back to reading his newspaper.

Had a nice little talk with Vin Z and got great deals from two dealers whose name I honestly forget. One of them said he reads the boards so I hope you PM me so I can give you the public kudos you deserve.

Went back to Virgils for round 2 and some great conversation and then off to Long Island where I spent today chopping ice off my moms sidewalk.Here is some free advice-If you live where it snows,do not buy a corner property.

Had an incredibly one sided conversation with Richie Muchen that went something like this

May I see that Avengers 4 on the wall.RM-in a minute. ME(after several minutes while he read a newspaper)-What shape is that book in? RM-I guess around whatever shape a book should be in that I'm asking $500 dollars for. Me-Can I see it? RM-Do you want it for $500? Me-Depends on the condition. RM-goes back to reading his newspaper.

Had a nice little talk with Vin Z and got great deals from two dealers whose name I honestly forget. One of them said he reads the boards so I hope you PM me so I can give you the public kudos you deserve.

I've heard this time and time again about this guy acting like that. I had a similar experience with him a couple of years ago but not as extreme, he just could not be bothered. Harley Yee can be like that too sometimes. Nice business sense - persona non grata.

My Big Apple Con Report:

As always, thanks to DAM for putting the lunch together. It was great meeting new board members and I enjoyed putting faces with the (screen names) names. I was able to talk to most of the board members I hadn't met before and it was, as always, very informative. Sometimes the wealth of information that can come from fellow board members is astonishing. Also, it was great meeting a fellow attorney (mr. woogie), hearing about the 30 cent variants, and seeing shadroch's beautiful Brave and the Bold 28 (although restored, the book looked gorgeous).

I went to the show briefly before the lunch and walked the floor... it was crowded, but not even close to what it was like when I got back from lunch. Unbelievably, it was so cold outside (one of the coldest days I've ever experienced plus the wind in times square) and it was hot as hell inside. The dealers were there in force, but I didn't see much that really, really sparked my interest.

I heard more than one dealer say they had parts of their personal collection for sale, but who knows how much of that is garbage or what. I did see a number of nice books around the room, but nothing that blew me away. I picked up a very nice Cap 100 CGC 9.2 from the Blazing One (where's a rants and raves by the way... there's been a show, let's see one, to hell with who offend, heck, offend me, I don't care, just want to see a new one!), an X-Men Marvel Masterwork (only $25), X-Men 56 (Adams) VF for $40 and an Avengers 93 (VF-) $50 (all raw).

Spoke to Ted, Gary Platt as well who reported that they had excellent shows. Stopped by Joe Verenault's booth... didn't have too much that I was interested in, but as always, Joe was polite and pleasant. Looked at Buchera's Boston Copy Cap 100... (or should I say another one) it was very, very nice with a bright white cover. I was tempted by this one, but decided on Bob's CGC'd one... grade was probably similar, but I decided on the one already CGC'd.

The day was long though, thank God Harsham and the CGC crew took off for Fed Ex so we could take over the table. It was funny how many people would come up to us asking to drop books off assuming we were CGC.

I look forward to the next forum get together... I'm sure we'll have another at Big Apple and to those at Wizard World East, I'm sure I'll put something together for my home turf.

By the way... Richie Muchin is, as I always say, one of the rudest dealers around. He's dishonest and basically someone to stay away from. He proves me right every time you hear someone tell a story about the guy.

You CGC gents should be careful.....anybody could sit down at the table, after you are gone, and accept books, cash, checks, forms and then walk away with it all. Seriously.

And Hammer has probably read this thread and already started planning.

You CGC gents should be careful.....anybody could sit down at the table, after you are gone, and accept books, cash, checks, forms and then walk away with it all. Seriously.

And Hammer has probably read this thread and already started planning.

Yeah...that's the ticket,it was Hammer.

It was kind of strange how people were willing to just drop off books though.And after we left,a differnt gang of four sat there so who knows.....

My Big Apple Con Report:

By the way... Richie Muchin is, as I always say, one of the rudest dealers around. He's dishonest and basically someone to stay away from. He proves me right every time you hear someone tell a story about the guy.

He's a nasty piece of work. I've been tempted to confront him with the books he sold me 10 years ago that have since been found to have restoration. But he would just lie and say they weren't from him.

A friend of mine who only bought comics as a kid was "inspired" by my collecting, and went to a Big Apple Show with me last fall. My buddy made the mistake of asking Muchin (even his name is ugly, ain't it?) a few simple and legit questions about a 2 books on his wall (How much is that? What's the condition?). Pukin was so rude to my friend that I really wanted to backhand the slimeball. My pal was shocked that a dealer at a show -- there ostensibly to sell stuff -- could be so surly with potential customers.

I wouldn't buy a comic from Pukin is he was the last dealer on Earth. 893censored-thumb.gifsign-rantpost.gif

There have been alot of these forum lunches/dinners from the various shows. Did you guys start numbering them yet? wink.gif

Forum Dinner I: Philadelphia May 2003

Forum Dinner II: Chicago August 2003

Forum Lunch III: Baltimore: September 2003

Forum Dinner IV: Toronto (when was it 2003)

Forum Lunch V: New York November 2003

Forum Lunch VI: New York January 2004

Forum Dinner VII: Los Angeles March 2004

Forum Dinner VIII: Philadelphia May 2004

Forum Dinner IX: Chicago August 2004

Forum Dinner X: Baltimore September 2004 (a real one this time!)

am I missing any? 893crossfingers-thumb.gif

My Big Apple Con Report:

He's a nasty piece of work. I've been tempted to confront him with the books he sold me 10 years ago that have since been found to have restoration. But he would just lie and say they weren't from him.

A friend of mine who only bought comics as a kid was "inspired" by my collecting, and went to a Big Apple Show with me last fall. My buddy made the mistake of asking Muchin (even his name is ugly, ain't it?) a few simple and legit questions about a 2 books on his wall (How much is that? What's the condition?). Pukin was so rude to my friend that I really wanted to backhand the slimeball. My pal was shocked that a dealer at a show -- there ostensibly to sell stuff -- could be so surly with potential customers.

I wouldn't buy a comic from Pukin is he was the last dealer on Earth. 893censored-thumb.gifsign-rantpost.gif

Ask Silverandbronze about his Richie story... grin.gif

There have been alot of these forum lunches/dinners from the various shows. Did you guys start numbering them yet? wink.gif

Don't foget the Big Dance in SD in July and then the Dallas Show in Nov? Toronto was also November. Did anything ever happen in Vegas? I know that OG went to the show . . . .

DAM

The one in Toronto was November.

The next one in TO is June (hopefully) 893crossfingers-thumb.gif

My Big Apple Con Report:

Ask Silverandbronze about his Richie story... grin.gif

Are you trying to provoke me? grin.gif Well, I can't resist. Here's a link to the sad tale of the water-stained NM books. What a slimebag.

OR

I've been doing shows besides Richie for some 15 years now and have found him to be a stand-up person. Can't vouch for his mail order but his show persona is quite good. He is quite open about any and all restoration

and such. His grading is no looser than many. #194125 - 06/17/03 12:09 AM

Hey Shadroch - I am not trying to bust balls here ( believe it or not grin.gif) but what happened in between your two posts? If you know Richin Muchin for so long, it makes it even worse that he ignored you. Just so I can make sure I am talking about the same guy - is the owner of Tomorrows Treasures on Long Island? I think I remember himn having a problem with CGC ( as a whole.)

OR

I've been doing shows besides Richie for some 15 years now and have found him to be a stand-up person. Can't vouch for his mail order but his show persona is quite good. He is quite open about any and all restoration

and such. His grading is no looser than many. #194125 - 06/17/03 12:09 AM

Hey Shadroch - I am not trying to bust balls here ( believe it or not grin.gif) but what happened in between your two posts? If you know Richin Muchin for so long, it makes it even worse that he ignored you. Just so I can make sure I am talking about the same guy - is the owner of Tomorrows Treasures on Long Island? I think I remember himn having a problem with CGC ( as a whole.)

I don't know.

I posted this conversation thinking everyone would remember that I had vouched for Richie in the past.That he did this to me after all the years we have simply astounded me. I had seen him be rude to people in the past but always accepted his side of the story,obviously I will now reconsider my opinion of him and will not have much to say about him in the future.

I had a similar bad experiance with anoter dealer over the weekend but didn't mention it as I had come to expect it from him years ago.

I thought about calling Rich to see what was up,but it's just not worth it.