• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Cartoon cels / Animation Art

49 posts in this topic

The seller at SDCC with all the Droids cels is Steve Schanes and he sells on eBay under icollectonline. He's become quite a big dealer in animation and told me last year at the show that he's sitting on a million+ cels in his inventory, mostly from shows from the last 30 or so years.

(Sorry.. just went back and realized some of this discussion is from awhile ago. Seems like I'm really late to the game for a response, which was written before I realized the original posting dates).

Hey Shane.. I'll add the bit of information that I know you and I discussed at one point.

Steve is sitting on a huge inventory of animation cels that he's acquired, covering companies such as Filmation and Nelvana. He has a huge inventory of shows (Star Wars Droids and Ewoks, Masters of the Universe He-Man and She-Ra, Groovie Ghoulies, Fat Albert, Jemm..though this is mostly production drawings, etc.) Definitely some good stuff in there, including some original backgrounds. Major problem is that with such a huge inventory, he tends to "mix and match" backgrounds and cels to what he (or his assistants) think looks good; with blatant disregard for trying to match then up accurately. Also his ebay sales of these cels and backgrounds were usually photographed so the codes on either the cels or the backgrounds were cut off, so it makes it hard to verify if they matched or not (mostly in the not category as they're not really trying to match up codes). The result of this is a lot of mismatched cels and backgrounds have been sold off over the past years, leaving a glut of out there in the market. (that's not even taking into account the volume of just cels without backgrounds, which are less appealing, or laser printed reproduction backgrounds.. also not quite as appealing).

I did dabble in animation cels for a short period of time before moving along to comic art, and I did find a few cels and production drawings that I liked; a couple of Justice League production drawings, a He-Man piece, a She-Ra piece that I sent to my sister, and some Star Wars pieces. Best animation art that I acquired was a Key Master Cel setup for the X-Men series that was pretty cool.

http://www.comicartfans.com/GalleryPiece.asp?Piece=627306&GSub=94489

and the Poison Ivy model sheet from the Batman Animated series

http://www.comicartfans.com/GalleryPiece.asp?Piece=608720&GSub=94489

Major problem is that with such a huge inventory, he tends to "mix and match" backgrounds and cels to what he (or his assistants) think looks good; with blatant disregard for trying to match then up accurately.

Yeah, I've noticed that too. On the bright side, if you know the series you're looking for well enough, you can grab backgrounds from rarer episodes cheap. I picked up a neat background from the first arc of the Droids cartoon for next to nothing when he paired it with a boring cel from the third arc. Most of the backgrounds are actually quite detailed, and look just fine on their own without a cel IMO. Certainly better than they'd look with a bad arc three cel blocking most of the detail anyway.

I love animation art and have for years. True there may have been a LOT of cels used in the production process originally, but the vast majority of them were boring. An arm, a gust of wind, a blinking eye, etc. Good cels of main characters looking cool are much harder to come by, especially if you're looking for a particular scene. Still not what I would call SUPER rare by any means, but that can be a good thing, since it makes even the very desirable pieces obtainable.

At the moment, I collect mainly cels from the 90's X-Men cartoon and cels from the Star Wars Droids series. I'd love to pick up some Disney ones, but sadly I spend too much on comic art to be able to afford them. ;)

Tommy

Hello,

I have a Genuine "Two Face" Animation Production Cel from BATMAN: The Animated Series with a certificate, that I would like to sell but am unsure as to how to go about doing it. If anyone could shed some light on this, I would greatly appreciate it. Any advice is greatly appreciated. If you are interested in seeing pictures, I can send them directly to your email (I cannot figure out how to add them into this message).

Thank you,

Sebastian

I am also looking for a Batman 60's tv show opening animation cel. There are a few on CAF but no one seems to want to say where they got them from. I would even take a villain cel. Contact me if you know the source or have one for sale.

Thanks!

If anyone is interested in vintage Disney animation art, both cels and drawings we have the finest selection that we have ever offered. All available at auction and will be on display at San Diego.

Check it out at:

Http://www.allstarcomicart.com

Joe

P.S. plenty of prime comic art and comics as well.

Curious if anyone here has any reference to Royal Animated Art inc catalogues or ads?

I'm a collector of everything 'The Phantom' by Lee Falk and recently acquired a number of these Cels, and with further research have identified 13 Phantom cels that were made, of which I now have 5 cels + 1 prototype.

Can anyone clarify how many were in the set of The Phantom, or each character?

Really trying to reference this so I can complete the set.

Open to buy any Phantom cels also if anyone has any.

I'd be happy to share photos of the ones I have if anyone has an interest.

Cheers

151872.jpg.1a5ce32ceba6e994f5a2d40886c2b182.jpg

Hi there -

I have a few of the old Royal Animated Arts catalogs. Though they were mostly just lists of art near the end there. Were you looking for original prices?

Also if anyone has any requests, I do have a few thousand pieces of animation art - I have some on ebay, but many many more in storage. Just email me :). Here's a link to some useful info, especially about the Simpsons...

http://charlesscottgallery.com/artinfo.html