• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Fan created comic database

13 posts in this topic

errr, I'll float this out there but It'll probly sink ...

How about a fan created data-source for comicbooks...

Say an excel file for instance, freely distributable and maintained by us nebs on one of our web sites...Everyone contributes a lil of their time to enter a title and in a few months we'd probly have a fairly complete datasource...

As a programmer I'd love to use this to feed my webscripts!

Open source ebay tools and the like would come along also Im sure....

Just for consideration.

I'm always up for a little typing... my programming skills suck, but I can type like a little monkey... confused-smiley-013.gif

wasnt there a simpsons episode about that?

Isn't there a Simpsons episode about everything.... 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Sort of like this one? http://www.comicsdb.com/comicsdb/

ComicsDB has been around about 3-4 years, at least.

negative , unless I missed the part where they distribute their database..

THat site strikes me as a bit crass ... here all you fans build this database but we get to keep the source.

So are you thinking like a fairly simple table with maybe:

title, volume, issue #, variant, publisher, year, month

possible additional info:

writer, artist, cover artist, interesting info (like "1st appearance Wolverine")

picture links to sample copies (thumbnail and big picture)? (Need to set up guidelines for #pixels resolution and size of files.)

Available as a downloadable Excel spreadsheet?

Available as an online database (mysql, sql server?) that you can query and download as comma separated file?

Available as a downloadable Access database?

Available as a downloadable comma separated file?

I find this to be a worthwhile project that I might contribute to, but I would first approach the ComicsDB guy to see if he's willing to share his data instead of creating a competing web site. His web GUI for entering data is really nice and full-featured.

So are you thinking like a fairly simple table with maybe:

title, volume, issue #, variant, publisher, year, month

possible additional info:

writer, artist, cover artist, interesting info (like "1st appearance Wolverine")

picture links to sample copies (thumbnail and big picture)? (Need to set up guidelines for #pixels resolution and size of files.)

Havent fleshed the fields out yet but all those you mention would definitely be in there .... Guest appearances etc ...