• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

For Newbies in the Comic Grading Industry

4 posts in this topic

As an ex-collector, this CGC grading thing is new to me. Yet, it makes sense. I have around 10k comic books from 1988 until early 1990 (right about when Image hit the scene). I have many Marvel comics (a lot of #1’s and many huge sets) and I have most of the Image comics from the first year. I never got into DC comics.

Do you have any suggestions as to which books from that period are worth sending in to be graded?

Thank you.

pyousefi@yahoo.com

Hmmm…

Errr…

Hmmm…

I wonder if this is anything like a doctor feels like when he is about to tell a patient he has six weeks to live.

OK…the good news.

Welcome to the boards!

You probably have a few Marvels that can fetch a nice return if in high grade. First one that comes to mind is Amazing Spider-Man 300. Seems like a 9.4 and up will get you way more than what the book is really worth. Just take a look at Ebay and do a search for the books you have and you will get the idea…

The bad news

…except the Image comics.

These books were over hyped and over published. Don’t feel too bad, I am in the sucker line right in front of you (wanna skip?). I have yet to see any of the original Image titles do anything and there are very few exceptions for the later ones.

Okay, the hard fact is that most of the books in your collection are worthless.

Now, as for the rest, assuming 9.4 or better:

Amazing Spider-man 298, 299, 300 (301-325, 328 if they're perfect)

X-Men 266 (outside shot at 244, 248 and 283)

New Mutants 87, 98

Hulk 340 (outside shot at 330)

There are probably a few more, but I can't think of them right now.