• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

ADVICE NEEDED: Considering WonderCon 2004

28 posts in this topic

Greetings.

Over the weekend, the wife succeeded in convincing me that I should go with her to her annual convention in Seattle in March. Why I am going to Seattle this year instead of Toronto last year (or Miami or San Diego the years before that) I have no idea. I am in Seattle 8-10 times a year anyway... But my spouse-points balance was running a little low, so I agreed.

She was so pleased with my "decision" that she asked me if there might be a comic convention somewhere that we could both go, and she offered to pick up the tab for the lodging (within reason)...

My immediate reaction was to go be an attendee at some show a few time zones away, but the more I got to thinking about it, the more I thought I should consider setting up at WonderCon instead. I mentioned it to her this morning. She's never been to San Francisco, and somehow the idea of coming along to a show in The City has become a positive addition to my balance of spouse-points rather than costing me some. smile.gif

So now I am trying to decide if this makes sense...

I spent some time on the WonderCon website and downloaded the dealer application. I also went to Expedia to price hotels. And I have a few questions for the folks who might know...

[*]Are dealers permitted to unload themselves? Or does the show contractor require that they do it for a materials handling fee? I used to work the trade show business from the other side of the desk and rates of $28-35/hwt were common. It may affect which products I would bring if I am looking at 30c a pound to bring them in the door...

[*]According to the WonderCon site, the Argent is the "show" hotel again this year at $125 a night. I found several hotels on Expedia within 3-5 blocks of the Moscone that were in the $70-90 a night range. Does anyone have recommendations as to which are good and which are bad?

[*]The WonderCon site says I am looking at $20-36 a day for parking in the area around the Moscone and the Argent. Is that what I should expect to pay? Or does someone have another recommendation?

[*]I don't much care about having a "prime" booth location, but is there somewhere on the floor I should specifically make sure I am not?

[*]What mix of dealers is typical for this show? In terms of how much Golden Age, Silver Age, Bronze Age, Modern, toys and other fluff? And does it lean towards being a "full-price" show, or a "bargains" show?

[*]How was the show for CGC material last year? Is there more or less of it here than other big shows? And does is move faster or slower than other big shows?

[*]Is attendance pretty balanced between the days? Or is Saturday overly heavy and Sunday is mostly bargain hunters?

Thanks in advance for any info. As the "Most Informative Poster of 2003" I always appreciate when people are willing to pass along the scoop. So any responses are welcome. If there's info you are willing to provide, but you don't want everyone to know, feel free to PM. I know there are a few things I might tell another dealer that I wouldn't tell a customer... tongue.gif

Thanks

'House

House I will be there - totally, and while I'm sure that the SanFran crew will be able to help you out with most of the aspects that you haved touched upon, I can advise you of one thing. PARKING SUCKS IN PRETTY MUCH ALL ASPECTS The $30 range sounds about right, I know its crminal, but seriously Parking is a pain in the 893censored-thumb.gif in SanFran, especially around the more commerial areas - I thought it was outlandish to pay $20 a day, but couldn't find any room in those parkaides, again Supa or Garth etc might have the goods on a sleeper spot, but to my mind there just weren't any to be found in and around that area.

House I will be there - totally, and while I'm sure that the SanFran crew will be able to help you out with most of the aspects that you haved touched upon, I can advise you of one thing. PARKING SUCKS IN PRETTY MUCH ALL ASPECTS

There are few things I know with certainty in this life...

1) Women are not meant to be understood...

2) The dead from the Alamo are buried under the swimming pool of the Menger Hotel...

3) NO ONE in San Francisco would refer to themselves as "the SanFran crew"...

But thanks for the early warning on the parking... thumbsup2.gif

Think u would do great at Wondercon. San Diego comic-con is too much of a multi-media zoo. Too many booths/seminars, too many distractions other than comics, action figures. Manageable drive for u too.

They need to have a little shades icon when people change their forum id's... tongue.gif

I'll say a few things....

I don't much care about having a "prime" booth location, but is there somewhere on the floor I should specifically make sure I am not?

Personally I think best location are usually closer to the main door, the farther back ones at the end of the rows tend to be a little worse

* What mix of dealers is typical for this show? In terms of how much Golden Age, Silver Age, Bronze Age, Modern, toys and other fluff? And does it lean towards being a "full-price" show, or a "bargains" show?

Nice mix of stuff, some years a lot more older stuff. I would say bargains do good. But bring some high end/dollar stuff, it does move. (Also I want to see what you got)

* How was the show for CGC material last year? Is there more or less of it here than other big shows? And does is move faster or slower than other big shows?

The CGC stuff is picking up a little, but I have still never bought a slabbed book there. Too much good high grade raw stuff.

* Is attendance pretty balanced between the days? Or is Saturday overly heavy and Sunday is mostly bargain hunters?

Sunday is a bargain day.

Er, okay amended to the City by the Bay enlightened architects of comic wisendom? 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

lol... Don't feel bad... there are probably 100 million people who think that the residents of San Antonio refer to the town as "San Antone"... when in fact, doing so will result in a flashing sign appearing over your head saying "If I leave the safety of the Riverwalk, please jack my car and leave me in a ditch off of Goliad Rd." thumbsup2.gifdevil.gifsumo.gif

I'll say a few things....

* What mix of dealers is typical for this show? In terms of how much Golden Age, Silver Age, Bronze Age, Modern, toys and other fluff? And does it lean towards being a "full-price" show, or a "bargains" show?

Nice mix of stuff, some years a lot more older stuff. I would say bargains do good. But bring some high end/dollar stuff, it does move. (Also I want to see what you got)

It's unlikely I would bring much of my better stuff. I'd be looking at the show as an opportunity to free up some cash rather than turn much profit, so I'd likely be bringing mostly cheap stuff. I might bring my cheap Gerber 8's with me, just so that I have a few books that won't be all over the show... smile.gif

Some of it will depend on what I buy between now and then. If I come across a nice collection between the Seattle show and WonderCon I would probably bring it with me... 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Come to the KC Comicon... Come... and pity us.

When is it?

I need to get to Manhattan sometime this year anyway to pull some stuff out of storage... 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Plus I have three good customers out that way that I should treat to dinner... sumo.gif

3) NO ONE in San Francisco would refer to themselves as "the SanFran crew"...

Damned straight! We're the "Frisco Forumites" and proud of it! Right guys?!? Er, guys..?

sign-funnypost.gif

[*]Are dealers permitted to unload themselves? Or does the show contractor require that they do it for a materials handling fee? I used to work the trade show business from the other side of the desk and rates of $28-35/hwt were common. It may affect which products I would bring if I am looking at 30c a pound to bring them in the door...

Don't know the answer to #1 above, but I'm guessing the answer is "union work" will prevail. You might consider contacting Rory Root, owner of Comic Relief, the best and biggest comic shop in the East Bay (and also a long-time OS adviser and WonderCon exhibitor) at 510-843-5002. Feel free to use my name, I still have some cache with the guy...

[*]According to the WonderCon site, the Argent is the "show" hotel again this year at $125 a night. I found several hotels on Expedia within 3-5 blocks of the Moscone that were in the $70-90 a night range. Does anyone have recommendations as to which are good and which are bad?

The Argent is actually pretty nice, and a good deal at $125 a night. There are plenty of other hotels in the area, but within 2-3 blocks..? Not great selection. I'd probably spend the extra $50 a night to know I won't be sharing the bed with any vermin...

[*]The WonderCon site says I am looking at $20-36 a day for parking in the area around the Moscone and the Argent. Is that what I should expect to pay? Or does someone have another recommendation?

Yes, parking is a beeyotch here in SF...though there ARE some lots a few blocks further away where you can park for maybe $9 - 15 per day (not sure if you can park in these overnight, tho). There's a good, secure, covered parking lot in an alley between New Montgomery and 3rd St., just South of Mission St. (I think the alley is Natoma St., but the entrance to the garage is on Minna St, another alley)...I think this one's cheaper as fewer people know about it and it's mostly used by commuters during the week - weekend pricing is probably good.

[*]I don't much care about having a "prime" booth location, but is there somewhere on the floor I should specifically make sure I am not?

I would say that at this show, virtually all Con-goers will see ya no matter where you are. Stay near the middle if possible, and lean toward the North end of the hall if you have a choice.

[*]What mix of dealers is typical for this show? In terms of how much Golden Age, Silver Age, Bronze Age, Modern, toys and other fluff? And does it lean towards being a "full-price" show, or a "bargains" show?

Good mix of back issues, plenty of high-dollar GA and SA, though mostly raw as of last year. Not too much toy and other fluff. Fri. and Sat. are basically full-price, Sunday tends to be bargain day.

[*]Is attendance pretty balanced between the days? Or is Saturday overly heavy and Sunday is mostly bargain hunters?

I tend to go on Fri. and Sat. and avoid the Sun. bargain-fest. My impression is that attendance is fairly balanced between Sat. and Sun. (the two full days of the show), but another board member may know better than I.

Hope to see you at the show!!!

Don't know the answer to #1 above, but I'm guessing the answer is "union work" will prevail. You might consider contacting Rory Root, owner of Comic Relief, the best and biggest comic shop in the East Bay (and also a long-time OS adviser and WonderCon exhibitor) at 510-843-5002. Feel free to use my name, I still have some cache with the guy...

Thanks for the info. If no one else here has a direct answer I may give him a call...

I am actually a card-carrying member of the union that does the work there... but I don't know if I want to go through the hassle of getting temporary privileges. When I did shows in Vegas and New Orleans it was a piece of cake, but I worked a show in St Louis that was a huge pain... frown.gif I know a couple of the SF honchos from working with them in New Orleans, but I would rather not call in any favors if I don't have to. Some of them boys can really drink... smile.gif

When is it?

I need to get to Manhattan sometime this year anyway to pull some stuff out of storage... 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Plus I have three good customers out that way that I should treat to dinner... sumo.gif

Well, come ON already! 893applaud-thumb.gif893applaud-thumb.gif893applaud-thumb.gif

When is it?

Well, come ON already! 893applaud-thumb.gif893applaud-thumb.gif893applaud-thumb.gif

So WHEN IS IT? 893frustrated.gif