• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Original owner collection Questions??

109 posts in this topic

Hey Nick, getting ready to start a sales thread? You can include that OO junk if you want.

Another sheep...... doh! Dont worry you can buy it for 4x guide and ill find one just as nice for guide..I guess some of us have more money then sense.

I'd love to see some examples of what you speak: original owner books priced at 4x or other multiples of guide that are available in just as nice condition for guide. Especially the "beaters" that you talked about in your original post. But even high grade examples would do. They would certainly help support your position, which otherwise comes across as nothing more than a silly fantasy rant.

Hey guys :hi: ..Im always puzzled by this 'Original Owner " thing that drives me crazy..Who gives a chit who the original owner was ?? I have had a few guys on here ,I dont rem their names ,Pm with scans of books that were so called " OO' books but they were absolute beaters.so what gives here.

I save all my chits for my weekly meetings.

A comic is a comic is it not?? Whos to say that anyone cant claim "OO" collection??..

Does the guy have a receipt? Even if he did and the book is beat up why do people continue to act like there is some premium on OO books..??? OO beaters are worth more then just regular old beaters??

I can understand a pedigree or a find of high grade books etc .But cmon Whats up with all this crazyness about OO collections??

They are...in theory..less likely to be pressed. That's it.

All you "experts" can maybe shed some light on this topic for me..I have been seeing more and more of this ridiculous sales technique and it drives me crazy.. :frustrated:

Well, then, all you "novices" out there should take heed.

lol

.But cmon Whats up with all this crazyness about OO collections??

It's not theory, but fact. Three thousand Bronze age books that I bought off the rack can be guaranteed to never have been pressed. Period. (Except for the 2 that I did have pressed :D )

They're attractive to certain collectors for other reasons as well. They tend to have uniform characteristics - the brightness of the cover inks, the quality of preservation of the whites, the amounts of gloss, the cleanliness of the covers, the quality of the pages. Finally, for some collectors it's cool to own a slew of books that came from the same collection. Such books can feel special in the face of hundreds upon hundreds of slabs that are otherwise indistinguishable.

Hey Nick, getting ready to start a sales thread? You can include that OO junk if you want.

Another sheep...... doh! Dont worry you can buy it for 4x guide and ill find one just as nice for guide..I guess some of us have more money then sense.

Now, I don't know you and you don't me, so you get a bit of slack.

Not a lot, but a bit. meh

These were part of a large OO find that I brought to the boards a couple of years ago. I sold somewhere around 1,700 books and with the exception of the 9.4s, 9.6s and 9.8s, I sold them at Guide. Not double Guide, not Guide and a half...at Guide.

And if you want to learn about the quality of a true OO, ask the various people who bought these books...and ask them about the grades they received when submitting them to CGC.

Some of F_T's OO books from that collection that he graded as 8.5's and 9.0's were coming back as 9.4's if I remember correctly.

You won't find a better grader or seller to deal with than Nick.

Although the term OO may be over used, if you can verify the books as OO there is a definite premium that some people will pay to have them.

(thumbs u

in my experience...many collectors of items (not just comics) like to know the history or the provenance of the collectibles they collect...so, "knowing" it is an OO collection gives them (at least on the surface) some idea of the history of the item...

remember, there are thousands of Avg 116 out there that all look virtually identical...so, to many, choosing one with a little known history, is more valuable to them, than choosing to purchase one with no known history...

now, should there be any price discrepancy?... not in my opinion.... but, to each his own

Some of F_T's OO books from that collection that he graded as 8.5's and 9.0's were coming back as 9.4's if I remember correctly.

Although the term OO may be over used, if you can verify the books as OO there is a definite premium that some people will pay to have them.

(thumbs u

Thanks, Roy. (thumbs u

It's not theory, but fact. Three thousand Bronze age books that I bought off the rack can be guaranteed to never have been pressed. Period. (Except for the 2 that I did have pressed :D )

They're attractive to certain collectors for other reasons as well. They tend to have uniform characteristics - the brightness of the cover inks, the quality of preservation of the whites, the amounts of gloss, the cleanliness of the covers, the quality of the pages. Finally, for some collectors it's cool to own a slew of books that came from the same collection. Such books can feel special in the face of hundreds upon hundreds of slabs that are otherwise indistinguishable.

Nice to see someone who can answer the question I had.Or give an honest opinion. without being a total tool..Jeezez .!

And to the guy who posted the Pedigreed book..Thanks I ve never seen one :screwy:

Thanks for any comments that were constuctive or helped me understand it a little better..For all the other comments..Well to each his own I guess. (shrug)

(thumbs u

BTW how does one verify it was bought by them? Do they have a receipt?? Unlike a classic car that is a registerd item when purchased ,,a comic book is not so wheres the verification process ? Because someone said so?

Nice to see someone who can answer the question I had.Or give an honest opinion. without being a total tool..Jeezez .!

And to the guy who posted the Pedigreed book..Thanks I ve never seen one :screwy:

Thanks for any comments that were constuctive or helped me understand it a little better..For all the other comments..Well to each his own I guess. (shrug)

How to win friends and influence people. meh

(thumbs u

BTW how does one verify it was bought by them? Do they have a receipt?? Unlike a classic car that is a registerd item when purchased ,,a comic book is not so wheres the verification process ? Because someone said so?

There are numerous 'signs' dependent upon the collection and sometimes it's easier than others.

Other times, there is a degree of trust required.

Oh, and I notice you made no comment about an OO collection being sold at Guide? Any particular reason? (shrug)

(thumbs u

There is usually some unscientific verification method...usually just corroboration through word of mouth. These are comic books right, so nobody thought to document such silly things as provenence back in the 30's, 40's or 60's.

In most cases the books will have some kind of uniformity and tell tale markings (like similar newstand date stamps, markings, page quality etc) that will help "prove" that the books were purchased from the same location at the same time.

You should read up on Pedigrees. Many of them have fascinating stories, from OO books being sold to pay for a murder trial (Green River) to OO books being sold to pay for a long wanted sex change operation because the OO's museum where he/she was employed was under construction and he could no longer store his books there (Curator).

The Syd's Luncheonette collection was bought off the stands by a board member who is well respected around here. I own one of them. Most of the time it's simply word of mouth.

Harry (Burntboy) documented how he had purchased them off the newsstand and kept them unmanipulated for decades. They sold like wild fire and at strong prices...very strong prices.

All in all there is something to be said about an OO collection for those that like that sort of thing.

Edited to add that F_T's consignment OO collection was like a feeding frenzy around here. People gobbled these books up as they were bright and high grade.

You should look up the old sales threads...what was the key word, Nick, Mildenhall?

(thumbs u

There are numerous 'signs' dependent upon the collection and sometimes it's easier than others.

Other times, there is a degree of trust required.

Oh, and I notice you made no comment about an OO collection being sold at Guide? Any particular reason? (shrug)

I made an example of a book that was offered to me..And ive seen others on here..For me to go look through all the sales threads to find them I have better things to do with my time..

As far as your other 2 comments..I dont need" slack" from you.Your not my Father..Second..I didnt start this thread to make friends I had a legit question that I wanted commented on.I have PLENTY of friends on here.. Also friends disagree all the time on stuff..

You act like Im insulting your spouse or your children.They are comic books, NOT human beings...Even though they are OO books they dont have feelings ..They are made of PAPER.. Get over it .

I would pay a premium for a Church book.

I would not pay a premium for a more common, more recent book that belonged to some guy I never heard of, whose mom just happened to not throw his chit away.

Provenance only means something to me if there is widely accepted significance behind it. The guy down the street with the "OO" collection is just another nameless, faceless dude in a see of nameless, faceless duded with "OO" collections. Random books plucked here and there may be an ocean. And most of these "OO"'s are seas. There may be slightly more significance to them but not enough in my mind to warrant any premium at all.

But some people dig it so more power to them. It's their money and they can do whatever they want with it.

(thumbs u

There is usually some unscientific verification method...usually just corroboration through word of mouth. These are comic books right, so nobody thought to document such silly things as provenence back in the 30's, 40's or 60's.

In most cases the books will have some kind of uniformity and tell tale markings (like similar newstand date stamps, markings, page quality etc) that will help "prove" that the books were purchased from the same location at the same time.

You should read up on Pedigrees. Many of them have fascinating stories, from OO books being sold to pay for a murder trial (Green River) to OO books being sold to pay for a long wanted sex change operation because the OO's museum where he/she was employed was under construction and he could no longer store his books there (Curator).

The Syd's Luncheonette collection was bought off the stands by a board member who is well respected around here. I own one of them. Most of the time it's simply word of mouth.

Harry (Burntboy) documented how he had purchased them off the newsstand and kept them unmanipulated for decades. They sold like wild fire and at strong prices...very strong prices.

All in all there is something to be said about an OO collection for those that like that sort of thing.

Edited to add that F_T's consignment OO collection was like a feeding frenzy around here. People gobbled these books up as they were bright and high grade.

You should look up the old sales threads...what was the key word, Nick, Mildenhall?

Thanks Roy..Some info I can actually use.. (thumbs u

I would pay a premium for a Church book.

I would not pay a premium for a more common, more recent book that belonged to some guy I never heard of, whose mom just happened to not throw his chit away.

Provenance only means something to me if there is widely accepted significance behind it. The guy down the street with the "OO" collection is just another nameless, faceless dude in a see of nameless, faceless duded with "OO" collections. Random books plucked here and there may be an ocean. And most of these "OO"'s are seas. There may be slightly more significance to them but not enough in my mind to warrant any premium at all.

But some people dig it so more power to them. It's their money and they can do whatever they want with it.

Pretty much sums up my thoughts on the whole thing . Well said..