• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Original owner collection Questions??

109 posts in this topic

Hey guys :hi: ..Im always puzzled by this 'Original Owner " thing that drives me crazy..Who gives a chit who the original owner was ?? I have had a few guys on here ,I dont rem their names ,Pm with scans of books that were so called " OO' books but they were absolute beaters.so what gives here.

A comic is a comic is it not?? Whos to say that anyone cant claim "OO" collection??..

Does the guy have a receipt? Even if he did and the book is beat up why do people continue to act like there is some premium on OO books..??? OO beaters are worth more then just regular old beaters??

I can understand a pedigree or a find of high grade books etc .But cmon Whats up with all this crazyness about OO collections??

All you "experts" can maybe shed some light on this topic for me..I have been seeing more and more of this ridiculous sales technique and it drives me crazy.. :frustrated:

Jerry, your use of "chit", "crazyness" and "ridiculous sales technique" may have rubbed a few people the wrong way.

There are many honest and well respected board members here who have bought, owned or sold original owner books with great success. Can you see how this might be perceived as combative?

Just saying, even if your not trying to make friends...just trying to be a little more politically correct will get a lot more answers than assuming the worst among a lot of well standing members of this community.

I hear your questions and understand what you are asking but keep in mind the "tone" of your initial post.

:foryou:

I recall getting a scan from a guy on these boards who had some book from a "lunch collection" or something like that..Dont recall exactly..Book was in at best vg..The asking price was like 2 x vg and the rational I heard was it an original owner book..I was like WTF I would pay guide or near guide but 2x guide because you bought it off the newsstand new and beat the hell out of it??

:screwy:

Well, since you've referenced the "lunch collection" and state that the "book was in at best VG", I think I'm pretty sure who you're talking about and which book.

So let's set the record STRAIGHT.

the following PM's will help put this all into perspective for the rest of the boards.

I still have my midgrade OO copy from my Sid's Luncheonette Collection. Let me know if you're still in the market..............Harry.

Jerry; i had this one graded by the boards just 4 months ago.

33 folks voted in my poll and the numerial average was 4.7 with grades ranging from 4.0 to 6.5.

some excellent graders like point five and divad called it a 4.5 and 5.0 respectively.

I have to agree that it's a 4.5 and being a #1 issue, I'm looking for last years guide or $775 (incl s/h/ins).

let me know if there's still any interest...............Harry.

if not, best of luck in your search..........

I apprecite the offer but I think at that price ill have to pass..Nice book but i think 4.0 is prob tops on it

I just picked up a 6.5 for 900 so good luck to you and thanks for the offer

Cheers

Jerry

So let's recap, shall we??

1. The Boards voted by poll (33 responses) and set the numerical bar at 4.7. (VG+ - VG/F)

2. I agreed that 4.5 seemed a nice conservative compromise.

3. I offered you the book at the LAST YEARS GUIDE price of $775 which included free shipping, handling and full insurance coverage.

4. You passed because you thought the book was probably no better than a VG and the price was too high. (All well and good).

5. you come on here claiming that I was asking 2X's guide for a "beater" copy of a GL#1.

6. I'm SO friggin glad that I didn't sell that book to you, as I truly believe that 2008 guide on one of the hottest books in the hobby was too low....(IMHO). Time will tell...

Thanks Roy..Some info I can actually use.. (thumbs u

I think it important to note that in Roy's post, he is mentioning pedigrees. There's a significant difference between an identified "pedigree" and just another random "OO" collection.

Absolutely.

All pedigrees must be OO books but not all OO books can be pedigrees (as recognized by CGC).

A ped has to have a certain breadth, grade and depth to it to be recognized.

That still does not change the fact that every OO collection has a story, including the Church books.

(thumbs u

Some of F_T's OO books from that collection that he graded as 8.5's and 9.0's were coming back as 9.4's if I remember correctly.

You won't find a better grader or seller to deal with than Nick.

Although the term OO may be over used, if you can verify the books as OO there is a definite premium that some people will pay to have them.

(thumbs u

BTW how does one verify it was bought by them? Do they have a receipt?? Unlike a classic car that is a registerd item when purchased ,,a comic book is not so wheres the verification process ? Because someone said so?

There are numerous 'signs' dependent upon the collection and sometimes it's easier than others.

Other times, there is a degree of trust required.

Oh, and I notice you made no comment about an OO collection being sold at Guide? Any particular reason? (shrug)

I made an example of a book that was offered to me..And ive seen others on here..For me to go look through all the sales threads to find them I have better things to do with my time..

As far as your other 2 comments..I dont need" slack" from you.Your not my Father..Second..I didnt start this thread to make friends I had a legit question that I wanted commented on.I have PLENTY of friends on here.. Also friends disagree all the time on stuff..

You act like Im insulting your spouse or your children.They are comic books, NOT human beings...Even though they are OO books they dont have feelings ..They are made of PAPER.. Get over it .

Actually, you didn't have a 'question'. You already knew the answer, but you wanted to make a song and dance about other people's preferences and perceptions.

If you were genuinely ignorant (which I accept you are in lots of other respects), your original post would have been couched in much different, much less hostile, terms.

All you "experts" can maybe shed some light on this topic for me..I have been seeing more and more of this ridiculous sales technique and it drives me crazy.. :frustrated:

If you want to make a point, fine. Just don't expect everyone to agree with you, or not make their own.

Tit.

I recall getting a scan from a guy on these boards who had some book from a "lunch collection" or something like that..Dont recall exactly..Book was in at best vg..The asking price was like 2 x vg and the rational I heard was it an original owner book..I was like WTF I would pay guide or near guide but 2x guide because you bought it off the newsstand new and beat the hell out of it??

Well, since you've referenced the "lunch collection" and state that the "book was in at best VG", I think I'm pretty sure who you're talking about and which book.

the following PM's will help put this all into perspective for the rest of the boards.

I still have my midgrade OO copy from my Sid's Luncheonette Collection. Let me know if you're still in the market..............Harry.

33 folks voted in my poll and the numerial average was 4.7 with grades ranging from 4.0 to 6.5.

some excellent graders like point five and divad called it a 4.5 and 5.0 respectively.

I have to agree that it's a 4.5 and being a #1 issue, I'm looking for last years guide or $775 (incl s/h/ins).

I apprecite the offer but I think at that price ill have to pass..Nice book but i think 4.0 is prob tops on it

Cheers

Jerry

1. The Boards voted by poll (33 responses) and set the numerical bar at 4.7. (VG+ - VG/F)

3. I offered you the book at the LAST YEARS GUIDE price of $775 which included free shipping, handling and full insurance coverage.

4. You passed because you thought the book was probably no better than a VG and the price was too high. (All well and good).

5. you come on here claiming that I was asking 2X's guide for a "beater" copy of a GL#1.

6. I'm SO friggin glad that I didn't sell that book to you, as I truly believe that 2008 guide on one of the hottest books in the hobby was too low....(IMHO). Time will tell...

Ah. The mists are starting to clear. lol

Jerry's upset because not everyone feels compelled to sell at the price he wants to buy. So he starts a specific thread to vent and takes it out on every seller of every OO collection. doh!

Cheers

Jerry

Was not the same book Sorry..I remember that exchange we had but NOT the same book.I think the seller bought the book FROM you..This is NOT the book I was talking about..

Your right it IS one of the hottest books out there..

And Roy was correct,maybe my OP was a bit hot headed or whatever the tone was I can see how people were rubbed the wrong way

My bad.I am just trying to get a grip on this OO thing..If I insulted anyone MY BAD It was not my intent at all :sorry:

Thanks Roy..Some info I can actually use.. (thumbs u

I think it important to note that in Roy's post, he is mentioning pedigrees. There's a significant difference between an identified "pedigree" and just another random "OO" collection.

Absolutely.

All pedigrees must be OO books but not all OO books can be pedigrees (as recognized by CGC).

A ped has to have a certain breadth, grade and depth to it to be recognized.

That still does not change the fact that every OO collection has a story, including the Church books.

(thumbs u

That's funny you wrote that, I was literally saying that out loud when I made my last post. (thumbs u

And you are absolutely right that there is a story behind every collection. For some folks the story, any story when it comes to OO is enticing to them. That's cool. For me, for an OO collection book that isn't a pedigree to appeal to me, it better have one heck of a story behind it.

For example, let's say Joseph Geobbels had collected comics but they were all beaters and someone brought that OO collection to market. I'd buy one and pay a premium for it. Now my neighbor "Stanley", with his OO collection of 60's-70's books in 6.0-9.0 condition, no thank you to a premium.

The term OO is over used. Unless there is wider appeal to the back story or the books are of exceptional condition, scarcity or importance I don't see any value to it being OO. At that point its merely a form of sales hype IMO.

Cheers

Jerry

Was not the same book Sorry..I remember that exchange we had but NOT the same book.I think the seller bought the book FROM you..This is NOT the book I was talking about..

And Roy was correct,maybe my OP was a bit hot headed or whatever the tone was I can see how people were rubbed the wrong way

My bad.I am just trying to get a grip on this OO thing..If I insulted anyone MY BAD It was not my intent at all :sorry:

OK, fair play to you for that. And apologies for my hot-headed responses. (thumbs u

Gone and forgotten. :foryou:

Cheers

Jerry

OK, fair play to you for that. And apologies for my hot-headed responses. (thumbs u

Gone and forgotten. :foryou:

(thumbs u

This was my point in the original post -- Jerry is making a fair point, but by referencing Harry's collection, it was implied that Harry was the one who acted unreasonably, when that's never been my dealings with Harry in the past.

If anything, Harry charges too little at times.

That being said, kudos to Jerry for clearing things up as well.... because his point as a book that's OO VG selling for more than any other VG is generally well taken.

This was my point in the original post -- Jerry is making a fair point, but by referencing Harry's collection, it was implied that Harry was the one who acted unreasonably, when that's never been my dealings with Harry in the past.

If anything, Harry charges too little at times.

That being said, kudos to Jerry for clearing things up as well.... because his point as a book that's OO VG selling for more than any other VG is generally well taken.

Thanks for the kind words, Brian... :foryou:

The reason I brought the GL#1 scenario up is that it seemed to fit the bill perfectly.

(As can be seen from our correspondence).

I can't even think of a handful of Raw books that I've sold that were in the 4.0 range, let alone where a buyer would also have known it was from the Sid's collection...........Maybe Jerry can remember either the book or the potential seller....(Flash 105 perhaps?).

.But cmon Whats up with all this crazyness about OO collections??

They are...in theory..less likely to be pressed. That's it.

It's not theory, but fact. Three thousand Bronze age books that I bought off the rack can be guaranteed to never have been pressed. Period. (Except for the 2 that I did have pressed :D )

No, it's still just theory.

It may be fact in regard to your specific collection...but I wasn't talking about specific collections, of course. It was a general observation.

In theory...they are less likely to be pressed.

They're attractive to certain collectors for other reasons as well. They tend to have uniform characteristics - the brightness of the cover inks, the quality of preservation of the whites, the amounts of gloss, the cleanliness of the covers, the quality of the pages.

Yes, tend to. Not always. Just tend to.

Finally, for some collectors it's cool to own a slew of books that came from the same collection. Such books can feel special in the face of hundreds upon hundreds of slabs that are otherwise indistinguishable.

This is indisputable, as it is based on personal preference.

so let's leave it as an OO collection, if you believe the seller, is less likely to have had all of the "potential" already pressed out of it. that seems like a tie breaker in terms of price, all other things being equal i suppose.

How many raw pressed books do we think there are out there? Who would go to the trouble and expense of pressing books and leaving them raw. The press and sub lottery only came of age with CGC. I've always heard anecdotally that there was pressing going on before CGC, but if that was going on with this hypothetical collection, it wouldn't be the type of collection that you could buy in bulk anyway. It seems to me it would almost be a metaphysical certitude that any raw bulk collection, OO or not, is not going to have been pressed.

I learned the hard way about the value of purchasing OO books.

Last year, I bought an Avengers 1 - 4 from a woman who had a really nice SA collection. Apparently, she and her husband would go to the local comic book shows and conventions and buy books from various dealers. After I purchased the books, I submitted them to CGC. Issues 3 and 4 both came back as 8.5's..... with Slight Amateur restoration!!! :P

At the time, I was just getting into the hobby and had no clue how to look for restoration. I don't think the resto. was done by her or her husband. My assumption is that over the years, as those books passed through various collectors and dealers hands, someone along the way decided to "touch 'em up!" And I continue to think that the more hands a raw book passes through, the more chances there are that one of the previous owners could have altered that book in some way.

About that same time, I purchased a 600 book SA collection from a fellah who claimed to have personally bought all of those comics off the rack himself when he was much younger. We had several conversations about the comics, and he seemed like a trustworthy guy. So I took his word for it.

When I sold some of those books from his collection, and after what I learned from my experience with the non-OO Avengers I purchased, I began telling potential buyers that they were from an OO collection. The comics from his collection are low to mid grade, and I wasn't charging any more for these than I would have for the same book in the same grade that I purchased elsewhere. The reason I would mention that they were "OO" comics was to increase confidence and peace of mind for the buyer that the book had a very low probability of being mucked with in some way.

Hey guys :hi: ..Im always puzzled by this 'Original Owner " thing that drives me crazy..Who gives a chit who the original owner was ?? I have had a few guys on here ,I dont rem their names ,Pm with scans of books that were so called " OO' books but they were absolute beaters.so what gives here.

A comic is a comic is it not?? Whos to say that anyone cant claim "OO" collection??..

Does the guy have a receipt? Even if he did and the book is beat up why do people continue to act like there is some premium on OO books..??? OO beaters are worth more then just regular old beaters??

I can understand a pedigree or a find of high grade books etc .But cmon Whats up with all this crazyness about OO collections??

In my case, I was able to locate the OO of my book (a very nice WHITE FF1). Being 59 years old, he purchased it off the stands and stored it in the NE USA at his Dad's home for over 40 years. Perfectly preserved. That personally meant alot to me to meet the guy who gave the dime to the Corner Drug store.

How many raw pressed books do we think there are out there? Who would go to the trouble and expense of pressing books and leaving them raw. The press and sub lottery only came of age with CGC. I've always heard anecdotally that there was pressing going on before CGC, but if that was going on with this hypothetical collection, it wouldn't be the type of collection that you could buy in bulk anyway. It seems to me it would almost be a metaphysical certitude that any raw bulk collection, OO or not, is not going to have been pressed.

Many raw books can benefit from a simple press job. Maybe for a 1 grade bump that means an extra $50.00, maybe to submit on a pre-screen that just barely miss the mark. I have seen multiple books in my own collection that I would consider pressing, but not slabbing. But I havent made that jump yet..

That being said OO collections have less chance of being altered. That could command a premium from pressers and anti-pressers alike. They both want the book, just for opposite reasons.