• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Question for you guys that collect commissioned pieces.

15 posts in this topic

I am interested in having a cover reproduction done. However, it wouldn't be exactly what I want unless it was fully colored. Looking through a few of the samples shown in this section, it seems like almost everything is just peciled, or maybe inked.

Are these types of piecs just too expensive to get done? The original cover was done by Gil Kane and Tom Palmer. So, I know I can't have Kane do it. Does anyone know if Tom Palmer does commission work, and any idea what something like this would cost?

Thanks!

I was able to commission Tom Palmer to ink a splash page recreation a few years ago. He charged, as I recall, around $300. I don't know if he normally does commission work...I happen to know his nephew and he put in a good word for me. Anyhow, that was my experience, for what it's worth.

I was able to commission Tom Palmer to ink a splash page recreation a few years ago. He charged, as I recall, around $300. I don't know if he normally does commission work...I happen to know his nephew and he put in a good word for me. Anyhow, that was my experience, for what it's worth.

Wow, that would be cool. Do you have any idea how to contact him these days? I don't think he's a very old guy.

Bob Layton used to to some of the best cover recreations of his own work as well as reimagined interpretations of other artists work. Not sure on the status of his commission list, last I heard it was closed on hiatus due to project work.

Also, another artist who does good stylized cover recreation work is Josh Howard.

You're right, Tom is a spry 67 years of age. I had the privilege of visiting Tom at his home last year after SDCC and had a great chat over dinner with him courtesy of my good mate, Jim Warden (thanks Jim!).

It was also fascinating to look around his studio and view some of the Kick- pages he was inking at the time. Here's a pic of Tom, Jim and me at dinner - http://www.comicartfans.com/GalleryPiece.asp?Piece=413642&GSub=64631

Here's one of Tom getting a little fresh - hahaha - http://www.comicartfans.com/GalleryPiece.asp?Piece=414312&GSub=64631

He has a great sense of humour! Tom kindly made a gift of a limited edition signed print and a signed trading card. It was a fabulous visit to the home of someone I consider a legend in the industry and I still love his work on older issues of Avengers and the Neal Adams illustrated X-Men. Best,

Royd

http://www.comicartfans.com/GalleryDetail.asp?GCat=111

Bob Layton used to to some of the best cover recreations of his own work as well as reimagined interpretations of other artists work. Not sure on the status of his commission list, last I heard it was closed on hiatus due to project work.

Also, another artist who does good stylized cover recreation work is Josh Howard.

Layton is actually my second choice behind Palmer. It appears his website has been inactive for a while though.

Given my earlier post re visiting Tom Palmer with Jim Warden, it might be worthwhile contacting Jim to see if he might be able to put you in touch or find out whether Tom is accepting commission requests? Best,

Royd

I might not be a bad idea to look up Anthony Castrillo. He's one of the best out there right now. You can check out some of his stuff here:

http://boards.collectors-society.com/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=3297354#Post3297354

You may want to ask chainball, but like I said, he does pencil, inks, and full colors. He really loves recreations too.

Worth a shot.