• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Another (More) Old Comic photos

47 posts in this topic

This picture was taken in our room at the El Cortez Hotel in 1977. It was our first SDCC and we scored these two books. Steve (holding the books) got a beautiful copy of Four Color #159.....Carl Barks' Ghost of the Grotto, and I got the Edgar Church copy of Platic Man #10. At least I believe thats what it is. I got it at the Mile High booth and the thing was just perfect. Flat, crisp and clean......It cost me $70 !!! Dang that was alot of money back then

stevewithcomicsSD1977.jpg

The Duck was pretty nice too (about a VF) and alas, I do not own the Plas any longer

I sold it, and all my collection, to Hi De Ho comics in Santa Monica Ca..........IN 1980 !! :(

$70 dollar Mile High. Whew!

That's like $150,000 in today's dollars, right? :kidaround:

May as well have been. I was makin about $3.26 an hour then...... :gossip:

Heres a shot of some of my collection in 1987. Not sure why no Marvels were in this pic. I loved layin the books all out on the floor like that and just staring at them. These are some of the books that kept me alive when I left Los Angeles for Oregon. I literally sold them for food and gas along the way :( :(

comicshot11987.jpg

comicshot21987.jpg

comicshot31987.jpg

Heres a shot of some of my collection in 1987. Not sure why no Marvels were in this pic. I loved layin the books all out on the floor like that and just staring at them. These are some of the books that kept me alive when I left Los Angeles for Oregon. I literally sold them for food and gas along the way :( :(

comicshot11987.jpg

comicshot21987.jpg

comicshot31987.jpg

So anytime you feel like crying you just pull these photos out right? :baiting:

i see a sweet lookin XMEN #10!

I sold that book in Petaluma Calif. just north of San Fran. I remember I had to wait for the shop owner to come in and take a look. He wanted more but I wasn't about to give them away......so he bought one. Filled my tank and had a double cheeseburger, coke and fries on that book :cloud9:

1977 not 1877 :makepoint:

lol. Check this out......anybody know this guy?

comicvendor1nick.jpg

I worked for this guy twice. The first time as a comic book delivery guy. I drove and delivered new issues 5 days a week, going to all kinds of small stores and markets that carried comic books. We (his company) would get the new issues in.......and we (us drivers) would "DO" our routes, putting in all the new issues and taking out all the old issues. Places like 7-11, small liquor stores and little markets. It was a very cool job.....for a comic geek.

This shot is from the second time I worked for him. This is inside his warehouse. He literally had/has a multi million book inventory. Those shelves in the background were so high you needed a ladder to reach books from the higher up shelves. Prob 15 to 20 ft. This is in his warehouse where I worked, the second time. He had 10 to 20 rows of shelves like this.....plus a vault (combination safe) for all the really good stuff. You think stuff is rare......don't believe it. There are a TON of books out there in places like this. If its not before 1965.......theres a million of em.

comicvendor1nick.jpg

You think stuff is rare......don't believe it. There are a TON of books out there in places like this. If its not before 1965.......theres a million of em.

You mean STAR WARS comics are not rare? :o

1977 not 1877 :makepoint:

lol. Check this out......anybody know this guy?

comicvendor1nick.jpg

I worked for this guy twice. The first time as a comic book delivery guy. I drove and delivered new issues 5 days a week, going to all kinds of small stores and markets that carried comic books. We (his company) would get the new issues in.......and we (us drivers) would "DO" our routes, putting in all the new issues and taking out all the old issues. Places like 7-11, small liquor stores and little markets. It was a very cool job.....for a comic geek.

This shot is from the second time I worked for him. This is inside his warehouse. He literally had/has a multi million book inventory. Those shelves in the background were so high you needed a ladder to reach books from the higher up shelves. Prob 15 to 20 ft. This is in his warehouse where I worked, the second time. He had 10 to 20 rows of shelves like this.....plus a vault (combination safe) for all the really good stuff. You think stuff is rare......don't believe it. There are a TON of books out there in places like this. If its not before 1965.......theres a million of em.

I loved his Doritos commercials.

AverySchreiber3.jpg

I remember a guy back in Col O in the early 70s used to sell comics out of his house and he had been buying 10 or more copies of every Marvel Superhero book since 1965 - so there were certainly people speculating that far back - but given the preservation habits of collectors back then (bags - for comics? - why waste money on that) - I doubt to many of them survived in high grade over the years.