• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Another (More) Old Comic photos

47 posts in this topic

$70 dollar Mile High. Whew!

That's like $150,000 in today's dollars, right? :kidaround:

1977 not 1877 :makepoint:

lol. Check this out......anybody know this guy?

comicvendor1nick.jpg

I worked for this guy twice. The first time as a comic book delivery guy. I drove and delivered new issues 5 days a week, going to all kinds of small stores and markets that carried comic books. We (his company) would get the new issues in.......and we (us drivers) would "DO" our routes, putting in all the new issues and taking out all the old issues. Places like 7-11, small liquor stores and little markets. It was a very cool job.....for a comic geek.

This shot is from the second time I worked for him. This is inside his warehouse. He literally had/has a multi million book inventory. Those shelves in the background were so high you needed a ladder to reach books from the higher up shelves. Prob 15 to 20 ft. This is in his warehouse where I worked, the second time. He had 10 to 20 rows of shelves like this.....plus a vault (combination safe) for all the really good stuff. You think stuff is rare......don't believe it. There are a TON of books out there in places like this. If its not before 1965.......theres a million of em.

I doubt he still has all these books after all the these years because if he truly had his eye on their future value he would have sold them long ago.

Diamond probably gobbled him up.

$70 dollar Mile High. Whew!

That's like $150,000 in today's dollars, right? :kidaround:

1977 not 1877 :makepoint:

comicvendor1nick.jpg

I worked for this guy twice. The first time as a comic book delivery guy. I drove and delivered new issues 5 days a week, going to all kinds of small stores and markets that carried comic books. We (his company) would get the new issues in.......and we (us drivers) would "DO" our routes, putting in all the new issues and taking out all the old issues. Places like 7-11, small liquor stores and little markets. It was a very cool job.....for a comic geek.

This shot is from the second time I worked for him. This is inside his warehouse. He literally had/has a multi million book inventory. Those shelves in the background were so high you needed a ladder to reach books from the higher up shelves. Prob 15 to 20 ft. This is in his warehouse where I worked, the second time. He had 10 to 20 rows of shelves like this.....plus a vault (combination safe) for all the really good stuff. You think stuff is rare......don't believe it. There are a TON of books out there in places like this. If its not before 1965.......theres a million of em.

I think I've seen this guy somewhere before...Oh yeah!

119qdzn.jpg

This picture was taken in our room at the El Cortez Hotel in 1977. It was our first SDCC and we scored these two books. Steve (holding the books) got a beautiful copy of Four Color #159.....Carl Barks' Ghost of the Grotto, and I got the Edgar Church copy of Platic Man #10. At least I believe thats what it is. I got it at the Mile High booth and the thing was just perfect. Flat, crisp and clean......It cost me $70 !!! Dang that was alot of money back then

stevewithcomicsSD1977.jpg

What a great picture! :applause:

I doubt he still has all these books after all the these years because if he truly had his eye on their future value he would have sold them long ago.

Diamond probably gobbled him up.

I'm trying to remember but I think Diamond is where all his book orders came from.....probably still does. As far as I know, he is still in business. He has a couple of stores but survives mostly from internet sales. Heres a couple guys who worked there with me, both I believe named Matt. Anybody here one of the Matts? :wishluck:

comicvendor3matt.jpg

Unpacking something or other. This guy was a Dell Giant collector.

comicvendor2matt.jpg

What do you expect a comic warehouse worker do at breaktime ?

This picture was taken in our room at the El Cortez Hotel in 1977. It was our first SDCC and we scored these two books. Steve (holding the books) got a beautiful copy of Four Color #159.....Carl Barks' Ghost of the Grotto, and I got the Edgar Church copy of Platic Man #10. At least I believe thats what it is. I got it at the Mile High booth and the thing was just perfect. Flat, crisp and clean......It cost me $70 !!! Dang that was alot of money back then

stevewithcomicsSD1977.jpg

What a great picture! :applause:

What a great thread Mike. I love your old photos of you and your books. How many of us can show these type of memories to the boards?

Awesome.

Thanks guys. I'ts amazing that these pics didn't get lost over the years. Guess being a pack rat has its benefits.

Think I've about tapped all my old comic photos. Heres the last one I could find. Its from the late '90s, so not quite as cool as old '60s or '70s pics. The picture is crappy but the books are nice :grin: Probably before we got a digital camera.

mewithcomicsbig.jpg

Think I've about tapped all my old comic photos. Heres the last one I could find. Its from the late '90s, so not quite as cool as old '60s or '70s pics. The picture is crappy but the books are nice :grin: Probably before we got a digital camera.

mewithcomicsbig.jpg

very nice!

mewithcomicsbig.jpg

Mike, I'm afraid you like like a cop in this photo.

mewithcomicsbig.jpg

^^

It was nice meeting you in San Diego Mike (thumbs u

mewithcomicsbig.jpg

Haha....yea.....I off'd the stache about 6 or 7 years ago. I look WAY friendlier now..... :grin:

I had my mitts on that Torch book around the same time as I had the Cap #15 I was tellin you about. Sad the books I have had..... :( but happy to have had so many good ones !! :acclaim:

You too brother. Hope you had a good show. Wives and girlfriends never have as much fun as we do lol

mewithcomicsbig.jpg

Haha....yea.....I off'd the stache about 6 or 7 years ago. I look WAY friendlier now..... :grin:

I had my mitts on that Torch book around the same time as I had the Cap #15 I was tellin you about.......sad the books I have had..... :( but happy to have had so many good ones !! :acclaim:

I'm sure you miss those books, who wouldn't but you've been picking up some great books lately. I wish you had hung onto the HT, I could use a copy.

I think you do look friendlier without the 'stache.

You too brother. Hope you had a good show. Wives and girlfriends never have as much fun as we do lol

So true, which is why im flying solo next year (thumbs u

comicvendor1nick.jpg

That looks a lot like a guy I used to work for named Nick.

Ok brother......thats exactly who he is !! Now I'm curious.....who you are ? hm