• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Do you buy one big page of art or several lower price ones?

31 posts in this topic

I like to collect, and feeding that desire with multiple lower-priced pages purchased with some frequency is more appealing to me than blowing a year's worth of collecting $ on one big purchase. I have a few pages that belong on a wall that I spent some money on, but the collector part of me is happier at this point looking for dirt cheap pages from books that I love.

I'm pretty new in this whole OA thing, but I try to go for as many pieces as possible at a good price. Thankfully all I want is Archie OA, so IMO all of them are "grail" pieces to my collection. :)
It would seem to me if you think all are grails, them none of them are. Back in the day, I thought most of mine were grails and when i finally got an "almost grail," i see the difference.

I'm pretty new in this whole OA thing, but I try to go for as many pieces as possible at a good price. Thankfully all I want is Archie OA, so IMO all of them are "grail" pieces to my collection. :)
It would seem to me if you think all are grails, them none of them are. Back in the day, I thought most of mine were grails and when i finally got an "almost grail," i see the difference.

Keep in mind I have two at the moment. lol So right now, my two are my grails!

Another consideration is that it's very common for OA collectors to sell multiple "lower priced" pages to finance a "big" page when it becomes available. Rarely do I see collectors selling big pages in order to buy a bunch of lower priced pages.

That is what I have observed in this hobby as well. Very seldom do we see collectors taking expensive pages to trade for lesser pages. Dealers might do this if they think the smaller pages add up to a sum greater than the expensive piece, but collectors from what I have seen, usually like to trade up.

In another thread, somebody wrote that FLASH GORDON comic strips went for big, big money a few years back. Then two of the major collectors went away and the market crashed.

Once upon a time, Pat Lee covers went for big money. More recently, I've seen two of them sell for under $400.

So...if you do buy one big page of art...you'd best hope that the market for that particular artist/series/character remains strong.

In another thread, somebody wrote that FLASH GORDON comic strips went for big, big money a few years back. Then two of the major collectors went away and the market crashed.

Once upon a time, Pat Lee covers went for big money. More recently, I've seen two of them sell for under $400.

So...if you do buy one big page of art...you'd best hope that the market for that particular artist/series/character remains strong.

You are right, but the same could happen to less expensive pages as well; for example, the less expensive $100 pages can very well down the road turn into $50 pages if people become even more indifferent about them.

Hopefully everyone is keeping in mind that this is a hobby, and hopefully everyone is spending only discretionary monies that they can afford to lose in their entirety.

You are right, but the same could happen to less expensive pages as well; for example, the less expensive $100 pages can very well down the road turn into $50 pages if people become even more indifferent about them.

True, but lower priced pages have less room to fall, after all, I won't cry if I'm down 50 bucks on a page, and it's easy that a fluke week (with 2 crazy bidders) will make a $50 page $75, but a big piece has more downside if that market crashes.

Malvin

Flash Gordon strips aren't going for big money anymore? Where? Last couple of hereitage Signature Auctions the Alex Raymond Flash Gordon strips went for around $50K. That is big bucks.

Brian, I was quoting another collector. I'm not an Alex Raymond collector and I don't know the time frame for the "crash". Two years ago, you could have had a Raymond/Flash Gordon Sunday strip for under $15K (according to CAF's marketdata). If the August 15th auction brought $50K for a Sunday piece...well, I'm guessing that the FG market has recovered!

I like to collect, and feeding that desire with multiple lower-priced pages purchased with some frequency is more appealing to me than blowing a year's worth of collecting $ on one big purchase. I have a few pages that belong on a wall that I spent some money on, but the collector part of me is happier at this point looking for dirt cheap pages from books that I love.

My sentiments exactly (thumbs u

I like being involved and receiving / adding to the collection with frequency.