• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

POLL: What 50 issue run of ASM are "the best" in your opinion?

What block of 50 issues of ASM rank as "the best" in your opinion?  

288 members have voted

1. 1. What block of 50 issues of ASM rank as "the best" in your opinion?

51 posts in this topic

None of the above. 119-169. Lots of hits, a few misses and many of the best stories of my childhood from any comic series. I am not and never will be a run collector. But if I ever did, it would be this run. Good thread!

None of the above. 119-169.

That's cheating :baiting:

I had to standardize the question.

But if I had to pick my favorite 50 issue run in the series, it would be #90-#139

This is when the title got serious and dealt with the death of Gwen's dad, Gwen's death, the vigilante justice of the Punisher, etc. And the writing and art were some of the best of the series.

I voted 251-300 just so someone could go "what knucklehead would vote for that" and lo and behold someone else had already beat me. I like 1-50.

I think the #238 to #300 run was one of the best runs in all of comics during that "moden" era. The Hobgoblin, black costume, Venom, and first McFarlanes gave the title a much needed boost at that time.

First 50 natch. The rest were just more of the same.

If I were to divide the book into runs or "eras", I would go 1-38, 39-87, 88-150. To me, the heart of ASM is 39-87 and 88-150. Of course, 1-38 is important, but the reading and art doesn't stand up today the way that the post 39 issues do. 1-38 was all first appearances, but most of the really significant events in the Spidey mythos took place in issue 39 and beyond.

Everyone worships Ditko, but I've always been of the opinion that the Romita/Kane era really made that title. Romita's art was cleaner and more detailed, and his rendition of the civillian cast was much more pleasing to the eye. And as I said, that's where all the really significant events took place. The Green Goblin, for example, may have been introduced in issue 14, but he was just another quirky and colorful villain until issue 39 rolled around. Similarly, Spidey's supporting cast wasn't really that important until issue 31 and the intro of Harry, Gwen and Norman(37), and even then they were just another group of "bullies" picking on old puny parker until the revelation in issue 40 and the full intro of MJ in 42.

If I were to divide the book into runs or "eras", I would go 1-38, 39-87, 88-150. To me, the heart of ASM is 39-87 and 88-150. Of course, 1-38 is important, but the reading and art doesn't stand up today the way that the post 39 issues do. 1-38 was all first appearances, but most of the really significant events in the Spidey mythos took place in issue 39 and beyond.

Everyone worships Ditko, but I've always been of the opinion that the Romita/Kane era really made that title. Romita's art was cleaner and more detailed, and his rendition of the civillian cast was much more pleasing to the eye. And as I said, that's where all the really significant events took place. The Green Goblin, for example, may have been introduced in issue 14, but he was just another quirky and colorful villain until issue 39 rolled around. Similarly, Spidey's supporting cast wasn't really that important until issue 31 and the intro of Harry, Gwen and Norman(37), and even then they were just another group of "bullies" picking on old puny parker until the revelation in issue 40 and the full intro of MJ in 42.

There were some great Spidey comics all through the run but the first 50 issues were the cornerstone of the francise. The creation of the character, the development of his powers and introduction of his supporting cast make the first issues the best.

First 50 for me as it set the tone for the rest of the series.

Peter Parker was the reluctant hero. A "regular teen" with the similar problems as any comic reader at that age. He was broke, geeky, could never get the girl. The Marvel style of writing heroes as real humans with flaws set the tone for all writers today.

As a bonus, you had all the classic villians.

The art showcased Spidey as lithe, athletic and acrobatic. Ditko's art was perfect for Spiderman especially when PP was still a teen. If Kirby or Romita drew the first few issues of the title, the book may not have suceeded. While I'm a fan of both artists, Kirby would have drew him too muscular and blocky. Romita would have drawn him too perfect (i.e., good looking and athletic as shown when he took over and PP had a more mature look). Ditko's version of Spidey influenced many of the modern era artists including McFarlane.

Cheers!

N

There were some great Spidey comics all through the run but the first 50 issues were the cornerstone of the francise. The creation of the character, the development of his powers and introduction of his supporting cast make the first issues the best.

Significance and good reading are 2 different things. Action 1 may be the most significant comic of all time, but it probably doesn't make for great reading. Similarly, would you rather read(not own) Showcase 22-24, or GL 76-89?

Just my opinion, but you can't compare a great story like 121-122 with Spidey battling a clunky, green educational robot/super computer in the halls of his high school (#8). Don't get me wrong, I love those old books for what they are, but are they "better" than some of the issues that came after? Not to me.

I picked 1-50.And you are right COI ditko is my favorite artist.The Ditko issues were the foundation of great things to come.The origion of Goblin first Rhino,And maybe the most important character of the series The Kingpin.Many classic covers 39-89.Fifty one thru 101 would be my second choice.

^^