• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

POLL: What 50 issue run of ASM are "the best" in your opinion?

What block of 50 issues of ASM rank as "the best" in your opinion?  

288 members have voted

1. 1. What block of 50 issues of ASM rank as "the best" in your opinion?

51 posts in this topic

First 50 natch. The rest were just more of the same.

Not really ...........

Peter Parker started as an awkward teenager and evolved into a more confident adult

I love Spidey, don't get me wrong, but Peter was and shall ever be a guilt-ridden, whining brat without the costume and even then...

There were some great Spidey comics all through the run but the first 50 issues were the cornerstone of the francise. The creation of the character, the development of his powers and introduction of his supporting cast make the first issues the best.

+1 (worship)

If I were to divide the book into runs or "eras", I would go 1-38, 39-87, 88-150. To me, the heart of ASM is 39-87 and 88-150. Of course, 1-38 is important, but the reading and art doesn't stand up today the way that the post 39 issues do. 1-38 was all first appearances, but most of the really significant events in the Spidey mythos took place in issue 39 and beyond.

Everyone worships Ditko, but I've always been of the opinion that the Romita/Kane era really made that title. Romita's art was cleaner and more detailed, and his rendition of the civillian cast was much more pleasing to the eye. And as I said, that's where all the really significant events took place. The Green Goblin, for example, may have been introduced in issue 14, but he was just another quirky and colorful villain until issue 39 rolled around. Similarly, Spidey's supporting cast wasn't really that important until issue 31 and the intro of Harry, Gwen and Norman(37), and even then they were just another group of "bullies" picking on old puny parker until the revelation in issue 40 and the full intro of MJ in 42.

There were some great Spidey comics all through the run but the first 50 issues were the cornerstone of the francise. The creation of the character, the development of his powers and introduction of his supporting cast make the first issues the best.

1-50 it is! (thumbs u

Issue 8, the 'green robot/high school' issue maligned by COI, was a fantastic character issue, especially the boxing match with Flash.

101-150? C'mon. 6-armed Spidey, Doc Ock marrying Aunt May, Mindworm and the Grizzly, clones..... I think the great stories of that run are balanced out by the misfires. You guys sure your nostalgia for your own personal golden ages isn't outweighing objective judgement?

I voted 251-300 just so someone could go "what knucklehead would vote for that" and lo and behold someone else had already beat me. I like 1-50.

I think the #238 to #300 run was one of the best runs in all of comics during that "moden" era. The Hobgoblin, black costume, Venom, and first McFarlanes gave the title a much needed boost at that time.

This would be a very close 2nd for me; however, 1-50 was my first choice without a doubt. This set the stage for everything else to follow. Early bronze age is probably right up there for me as well--maybe even tied for 2nd--the Green Goblin stuff was just untouchable.

If I were to divide the book into runs or "eras", I would go 1-38, 39-87, 88-150. To me, the heart of ASM is 39-87 and 88-150. Of course, 1-38 is important, but the reading and art doesn't stand up today the way that the post 39 issues do. 1-38 was all first appearances, but most of the really significant events in the Spidey mythos took place in issue 39 and beyond.

Everyone worships Ditko, but I've always been of the opinion that the Romita/Kane era really made that title. Romita's art was cleaner and more detailed, and his rendition of the civillian cast was much more pleasing to the eye. And as I said, that's where all the really significant events took place. The Green Goblin, for example, may have been introduced in issue 14, but he was just another quirky and colorful villain until issue 39 rolled around. Similarly, Spidey's supporting cast wasn't really that important until issue 31 and the intro of Harry, Gwen and Norman(37), and even then they were just another group of "bullies" picking on old puny parker until the revelation in issue 40 and the full intro of MJ in 42.

1-50 it is! (thumbs u

Issue 8, the 'green robot/high school' issue maligned by COI, was a fantastic character issue, especially the boxing match with Flash.

101-150? C'mon. 6-armed Spidey, Doc Ock marrying Aunt May, Mindworm and the Grizzly, clones..... I think the great stories of that run are balanced out by the misfires. You guys sure your nostalgia for your own personal golden ages isn't outweighing objective judgement?

The Green Goblin was the Prankster until Romita got ahold of him. The 2nd group of books contains the development of the Kingpin as a major villain, and the development of the fantastic relationship between Peter and Gwen. Personally I love the #100 issue and the 6 armed Spidey. It is a perfect fit with the scientific side of Peter Parker, his relationship with Gwen, and the typical Parker luck which is the theme of the entire run of books from 1- 500.

1-50 it is! (thumbs u

The Green Goblin was the Prankster until Romita got ahold of him. The 2nd group of books contains the development of the Kingpin as a major villain, and the development of the fantastic relationship between Peter and Gwen. Personally I love the #100 issue and the 6 armed Spidey. It is a perfect fit with the scientific side of Peter Parker, his relationship with Gwen, and the typical Parker luck which is the theme of the entire run of books from 1- 500.

:applause:

The six arms happened because, in a moment of weakness, Pete tried to get rid of his powers, just like when he tried walking away in issue 50. Those stories of self-doubt and weakness are an important part of his character, and the six arms served as a painful reminder for Peter that he was destined to have his powers.

The Lizard/Morbius tie in was interesting and the darker/horror tone was a fitting start to the bronze age.

Also, I always liked the original clone saga. It was a total mind- for Peter. The only reason it's despised now is because of all the they did with the clone in the '90s. I think it was an interesting idea for a plot, and it was probably quite compelling at the time (wasn't around, just guessing).

Issue 8, the 'green robot/high school' issue maligned by COI, was a fantastic character issue, especially the boxing match with Flash

I'll give you that. The boxing match with the flash is definitely one of my favorite moments in the earlier issues. I also got a kick out of the pizzing match he had with Johnny Storm in the back-up story.

Ultimately, I love every issue of ASM from 1-150, along with all the annuals that came out within that time period. :cloud9:

#1-50 : lots of first appearances of villians

I expected this category to win, but I think some people love these issues more for the higher dollar values they command, and that influences voting.

Right now #1-50 is getting 60% of the vote

#101-150 is the 2nd favorite, getting 25%, probably on the love for the keys #101, 121, 122 and 129

And then maybe surprising to some, the 3rd most popular answer is #251-300 which got 6% of the vote. There is a real love for that whole Spidey in the black costume era

#1-50 : lots of first appearances of villians

I expected this category to win, but I think some people love these issues more for the higher dollar values they command, and that influences voting.

Right now #1-50 is getting 60% of the vote

#101-150 is the 2nd favorite, getting 25%, probably on the love for the keys #101, 121, 122 and 129

And then maybe surprising to some, the 3rd most popular answer is #251-300 which got 6% of the vote. There is a real love for that whole Spidey in the black costume era

Value has nothing to do with it for me...I grew up with Peter Parker...he was like a 4th brother...we couldn't wait to get to the spinner rack each month...we could set our watches by it... :headbang:

I voted for 1-50 - but I don't think I've read more than 3 or 4 issues of the title since around #135.

I re-read the first 50 issues back in the 80s - and the Silvermane story arc more recently - but from the recollections of my childhood - the story and art after the Lee/Romita run were vastly inferior to the first 100 issues(121-122 aside). And the covers are pretty ugly as well

I went with 100-150 as those were in my reading heyday.

Still enjoy them all, but for pure return to childhood, and gripping comic storytelling, give me the art and adventure from 1971-1976, take me home :cloud9: