• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

POLL: What 50 issue run of ASM are "the best" in your opinion?

What block of 50 issues of ASM rank as "the best" in your opinion?  

288 members have voted

1. 1. What block of 50 issues of ASM rank as "the best" in your opinion?

51 posts in this topic

I went with 100-150 as those were in my reading heyday.

Still enjoy them all, but for pure return to childhood, and gripping comic storytelling, give me the art and adventure from 1971-1976, take me home :cloud9:

As a wise man once said - the Golden Age of comics is 11

#1-50 : lots of first appearances of villians

I expected this category to win, but I think some people love these issues more for the higher dollar values they command, and that influences voting.

Right now #1-50 is getting 60% of the vote

#101-150 is the 2nd favorite, getting 25%, probably on the love for the keys #101, 121, 122 and 129

And then maybe surprising to some, the 3rd most popular answer is #251-300 which got 6% of the vote. There is a real love for that whole Spidey in the black costume era

Sadly, one chunk of books that is being overlooked is Roger Stern's run from 223-251. It doesn't fit well into any of the categories. It does, however, contain two tales (Juggernaut 229/230, Kid Who Collects 248) that are often mentioned in discussions of what Spidey stories are the best. Toss in the Hobgoblin, the Vulture's revitalization/humanization, and the Cobra/Hyde feud and you've got a nice little run. (thumbs u

I expected this category to win, but I think some people love these issues more for the higher dollar values they command, and that influences voting.

#101-150 is the 2nd favorite, getting 25%, probably on the love for the keys #101, 121, 122 and 129

And then maybe surprising to some, the 3rd most popular answer is #251-300 which got 6% of the vote. There is a real love for that whole Spidey in the black costume era

Value has nothing to do with it for me...I grew up with Peter Parker...he was like a 4th brother...we couldn't wait to get to the spinner rack each month...we could set our watches by it... :headbang:

Agreed, value has nothing to do with my choice. I think we all tend to choose what we cut our teeth on and early ASM are it for me. Just like we tend to love the music we listened to during our teenaged years.

Value has nothing to do with it for me...I grew up with Peter Parker...he was like a 4th brother...we couldn't wait to get to the spinner rack each month...we could set our watches by it... :headbang:

Agreed, value has nothing to do with my choice. I think we all tend to choose what we cut our teeth on and early ASM are it for me. Just like we tend to love the music we listened to during our teenaged years.

Although I grew up with the Bronze Age and have an affection towards those years I can say quite easily that the first 50 issues are the most creative and exciting 50 issues. There is something to be said about being there at ground zero as opposed to building on existing franchise.

The creative energy in that franchise was so powerful from the outset that it's inertia is still carrying forward today....and I was not a big Ditko fan.

That's pretty impressive.

I liked the first fifty. Ditko added the element of mystery to ASM. Who was the Green Goblin? What did Mary Jane look like? Who was the Crime Master? Was Frederick Foswell going to succumb to a life of crime again? Who was the Master Planner? Would Spider-Man find out that it was Norman Osborn who shot and killed Mendel Stromm?

Ditko’s Spider-Man lived in a New York that was dark and seductive, yet with an element of humor. There were more plots in 3-4 pages of these early stories than in an entire issue of the modern series.

I haven’t read ASM since the “Sins Past” storyline, so maybe the vacuum of story decompression has changed in the past few years.