• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Spin-off: What's the best 10-20 issue comic book run to read?

120 posts in this topic

The first ten or so issues of Powers, the "Who Killed Retro Girl" arc, is some of Bendis' best work IMO. The first arc (12 issues) of Sleeper was some of the best reading I'd done in a long time. Both of these are in TPB form and well worth picking up (thumbs u

just a few:

Swamp Thing (1972) 1-10 (Wrightson)

Swamp Thing (1980s) 20-34 (Moore)

Daredevil 168-181 (or 158 to 191 if you want more Miller)

Detective 469-479 (mostly Marshall Rogers)

Batman 232-245 (Adams Ra's Al Ghul saga, incredible covers)

Green Lantern 76-89 ( classic O'Neil & Adams)

Amazing Spiderman 90-129 (the best of the entire run)

Uncanny X-men 130-137 (Dark Phoenix)

Detective 27-37 (originals might be a bit expensive, BUT this is the original Batman that went around killing those that needed killing)

Obviously you already like Walking Dead but I did love issues 1-36, after that though it dragged for me and the payoff wasn't enough by issue 48. The only thing that would've grabbed me is if Rick died or they didn't have the Governor come back for about 50 issues, so he really would've been forgotten.

All great suggestions.

Admittedly I'm super hero-centric but here are my suggestions:

If you have not read the Warlock saga by Jim Starlin you are missing out on one of the greatest, deepest, most complex story arcs in the history of the hobby. It's about as great as a story arc can be in comics. I would put it somewhere at the top of my list.

(thumbs u

On from there the Thanos saga is great especially the two part "Death Of Thanos" arc contained within Avengers Ann. #7 and Marvel Two In One Ann. #2.

There are lots of great story arcs out there but for the longer, more complex and intertwined ones I'd suggest these:

I would put Miller's Daredevil #158-184 as a must read.

Fantastic Four is great right through into issue #200 but issues (roughly) #35 - #55 are just mind blowing.

I found the early Daredevil issues (#1-20) very entertaining because you have the vastly under appreciated Wally Wood Silver Age art as well as Romita's earliest Marvel work.

The John Byrne run on Avengers (circa issue #180) is terrific.

Alex Maleev's run on modern Daredevil (issue #26 onwards) (even if he hit on Louise in Toronto last year doh! )

Swamp Thing by Wrightson.

Almost anything by Denny O'neil but especially his work on Batman in the mid #200's, Green Lantern #76 onwards.

Lots of good stuff out there.....

Strange Tales 178-181, Warlock 9-15, Avengers Annual 7, MTIO Annual 2. IMO, the greatest galactic tale ever written.

Beat me to it by seconds because I was talking and typing!

:insane: