• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Archie ? Is this worth getting graded ?

47 posts in this topic

Yeah, there's a lot of gag recycling in Archie covers. When I have some spare time, I'll look through my books and pick out some samples to post. I think the first MLJ example of cover swiping was Pep 32 and Shield Wizard 13--virtually identical images! There is also at least one Jughead story that was completely redrawn but with the same dialog confused.gif(one version is in Jughead 2 and the other is, I believe, in one of his Annuals).

Steve.

pretty darn sweet for a 56 year old book!!!!

unfortunately, i traded most of my archies for superhero books back in the late 50's. about the only things left are some of the pep/laugh books from 1961-63 with either the Fly or Jaguar stories in them and the first 3 issues of BATS.........

keep posting those old cool scans. thanks.............. grin.gif

in case everyone didn't know already, you can pull down a PEP#22 (1st appearance archie and the gang) for a mere 3x's guide in midgrade (5.0 if you believe it - i kinda do) and unslabbed from Metropolis.

any thoughts to why the asking price is so high relative to guide given the condition and no slabbing?? 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Pep 22 is by far the most difficult first appearance of a major golden age character to obtain (IMO). Assuming I had the $, I could easily purchase multiple copies of Action 1, Detective 27, Marvel 1 right now. Pep 22 is a totally different story.

I'm sure that Metropolis realizes that this is such a tough book, and such an important book that some poor slob (such as me for example) who needs it to finish his Archie collection will eventually fork over the dough for it. Also, that is a fairly decent copy. Most of the ones I've seen have been low grade or restored or both frown.gif

And, if I were a big-deal dealer, I wouldn't mind having a copy to show off how good my inventory was. The best way to keep a book in your inventory is to price it high!

Those are my thoughts on the matter. Anyone else...?

Pep 22 is by far the most difficult first appearance of a major golden age character to obtain (IMO). Assuming I had the $, I could easily purchase multiple copies of Action 1, Detective 27, Marvel 1 right now. Pep 22 is a totally different story.

I'm sure that Metropolis realizes that this is such a tough book, and such an important book that some poor slob (such as me for example) who needs it to finish his Archie collection will eventually fork over the dough for it. Also, that is a fairly decent copy. Most of the ones I've seen have been low grade or restored or both frown.gif

And, if I were a big-deal dealer, I wouldn't mind having a copy to show off how good my inventory was. The best way to keep a book in your inventory is to price it high!

Those are my thoughts on the matter. Anyone else...?

I totally agree; I said similar things in the other thread. I owned a slightly restored G/VG copy 2 years ago, and paid over $5,000 for it.