• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Archie ? Is this worth getting graded ?

47 posts in this topic

363218-Save0018.jpg

Nice book!

Could be a 9.2 you have there; 9.0/9.2 range to me.

893scratchchin-thumb.gif

I know nothing about Archies or if there are any "keys" or not so I can't say wether you should slab it.

If it was a Fantastic Four 112 or a Hulk 141 with a 15cent cover then I'd say yes! thumbsup2.gif

That's a nice book. Probably 9.2 or so. Unfortunately, it wouldn't be worth grading even if you thought it was an easy 9.4. $29 plus postage both ways is going to eat up any value increase that CGC slabbing will put on it.

I would (and do) only slab Archies that are pre-1968 AND very high grade (9.6+), or key Silver Age issues that I think will get 9.0 or better (Golden Age, you can probably do pretty well with 8.0 or better). Other than that, you're taking your chances that you'll make your slabbing fees back, let alone make much of a profit.

Of course, that being said, I recently sold two of the Archie Spire Christian Comics in CGC 9.0 for $66 each on ebay--go figure...

I'd go VF+ 8.5, maybe VF/NM 9.0 tops. Remember, this a late SA book we're talking about. As for value, it's worth about $6 I'd guess (without OS Guide handy). If it actually garnered a 9.2, it might fetch $12 on a good day. Not worth slabbing, sorry to say.

I checked Overstreet. A surprising $12. in NM 9.4. I thought it would be lower.

I also scanned ebay for Archie's Joke Book and checked completed auctions. Not much $$ changing hands there. Nothing after the 1950s got over $10. The '50s books got barely over. A lot of no-bid auctions.

Charlie

Hey Lucy:

Glad to see there's someone on these boards besides me who collects Archie! Are you trying to put together a complete set of Archies or some subset? Either way, that's a lot of grading fees! But they do look nice in the little plastic holders...

Steve.

I love Archie titles, and have maybe 800 MLJ books. I'm more into the obscure titles, when I can get them. Archie's Mechanics, Jughead's Fantasy, and the original Archie's Rival Reggie titles are among my favorites. Those and the early annuals with the square binding.

If you're an Archie fan and haven't already visited Shield's website, you owe it to yourself...

Yeah I like the oddball titles too. Jughead's Folly is a classic and the covers on Archie's Madhouse 1-16 are just great--the interiors are not so hot, but the covers... cloud9.gif I also love the alien/SciFi covers of the early '60s--who could resist Veronica out walking her fire breathing dragon?!?

I'm working on a complete set of Archie titles 1941-1971. I'm about 80% there. I just completed my Archie set (with #6 acquired off ebay a couple of months ago) and am now seriously working on the Pep run (anybody got a 22 or 23?)

Archie really gives a great cultural education as you read it over the 60 years of its existence. Much more so than any of the other titles that have been around that long (which really isn't many at all, and I think they're all DCs)