• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Comiclink's Grading Ability

9 posts in this topic

I've been at ComicLink's (Express) site looking at their own grading of raw books.

They have a large number of ASMs for sale with scans so I took a sample and decided what my own grading was. I found that they are terrible for grading of low - mid graded comics. Higher grades seemed to be more accurate, but then you can only see the front cover (occasionally the back as well).

Examples :

ASM # ComicLink Grade My Grade

4.................G+........................ G-

5 .................VG- +................... G+

6................. G +....................... Fair

7................. VG-+...................... G-

8................. G++.......................G-

9................. G- +...................... Poor

12.................G +....................... Fair

13.................VG- +......................G

15.................VG +.....................VG-

15.................VFN+................. VFN+

Is this just me, or does everyone agree that they are clearly well overgraded and thus overpriced ?

Link is Link to Comiclink page

I think most people get it wrong at the lower grades than the higher ones. I bet if some sort of quiz was posted on these boards, people who regulalrly score well in identifying 9.0+ within half a grade, would tend to do a lot less well around the fair to VG- scale. This isn't too surprising as lower grades imply more faults and more calculations, whereas higher grades are all about what isn't there rather than what is.

I've been at ComicLink's (Express) site looking at their own grading of raw books.

They have a large number of ASMs for sale with scans so I took a sample and decided what my own grading was. I found that they are terrible for grading of low - mid graded comics. Higher grades seemed to be more accurate, but then you can only see the front cover (occasionally the back as well).

Examples :

ASM # ComicLink Grade My Grade

4.................G+........................ G-

5 .................VG- +................... G+

6................. G +....................... Fair

7................. VG-+...................... G-

8................. G++.......................G-

9................. G- +...................... Poor

12.................G +....................... Fair

13.................VG- +......................G

15.................VG +.....................VG-

15.................VFN+................. VFN+

Is this just me, or does everyone agree that they are clearly well overgraded and thus overpriced ?

ASM # ComicLink Grade Endatlast Grade Aces' grade

4.................G+........................ G-.................G

5 .................VG- ..................... G+................G+ thumbsup2.gif (GVG but I take off for sub-crease)

6................. G(not G+)............... Fair..............Fr/G (1.5)

7................. VG-...................... .G-..................G+

8................. G+.........................G-..................G- thumbsup2.gif

9................. G-.......................... Poor.............Poor thumbsup2.gif

12.................G.......................... Fair...............G-

13.................VG-........................G..................GVG

15.................VG.......................VG-...........There were two 15 VGs? confused.gif

15.................VFN+................. VFN+.......... VF+ thumbsup2.gif

I for one can't (and don't try) to grade low grade books. As a high-grade collector they all look bad to me.

That said, there probably isn't much difference in price between a G- and G (even on an old Silver-Age book). Yet there is a huge difference between even a VF and VF+.

So my point is, if I was going to be generous with a grade, it would be on the low grade material.

As a buyer of low grade GA stuff, I have to agree that many people can't grade correct in the G - VG range. They see a totally beat up book with a cover and call it VG. When I find a dealer that can grade to lower grade stuff correctly I stick with them.

IMO Comic Link was pretty close on most of them. You could make an argument on a few... and the ASM 9 is clearly overgraded. The book is poor with a capital P.

I think grading higher end books is more of a objective technical exercise, e.g., x amount of spine stresses and 2 soft corners = whatever grade. Whereas, grading books with an accumulation of defects boils down to the structural soundness of the book and eye appeal despite defects. Of course eye appeal is highly subjective, and those that label anything less than 9.0 as a POS are likely to think anything they find visually unappealing is a "low grade."

My observation is that the folks who frequent these boards tend to be higher-end collectors who are pretty harsh on mid and lower grade books.

The boards have been a eye opening experience for me. Books that for many years I considered Fines and/or VGs (and supported by the first OS grading guide), I am now learning that some people would grade these books as Good or worse! Ouch! frown.gif

I haven't purchased a raw book from Comiclink since the pre-CGC days, but my recollection was that they were solid graders.

I have to admit that like some of the other posters on this thread, I am no good at grading low grade copies, and would have a real problem telling the difference between a VG and VG- copy. My main question though, is how in the world can anyone grade accurately from a scan? In my opinion, it's impossible to grade accurately through a slab or mylar/poly bag, let alone from a scan.