• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Alex Ross - Art overpriced

26 posts in this topic

Hi Ruben,

Alex Ross' former agent was Lisa Beaderstadt (Scott Beaderstadt's ex-partner) and we were long-distance friends. It was solely due to Lisa that I was able to acquire/afford my only Alex Ross piece, the colour Miraclewoman piece which was used as the back cover to the "Kimota: Miracleman Companion".

At the time she offered me the Miraclewoman piece and Prime piece - I went for the Miraclewoman piece which you may already have seen here -

http://www.comicartfans.com/GalleryPiece.asp?Piece=32040&GSub=65017

I met up with Lisa at SDCC in the late '90s and it was shortly after that when Sal replaced her as Alex's art dealer/rep. The last I heard from her (a couple of years back), she'd gone back to her nursing career and was working in Alaska!

Sorry to hear about the piece that you nearly landed, I would have loved to have seen Alex's painted work over Gil's inks! :( Warm regards,

Royd

Alex Ross art was popular and sold well but he had an agent that participated on Comicart-L (a woman if I remember correctly) and she priced things fairly. With her being on the Comicart-L it was usually pretty easy to make a deal too. Then, the charity auction happened and his prices went through the roof!

I had arranged to purchase a Green Lantern cover that Alex painted over Gil Kane inks. They were just waiting for the cover to be returned to the Kane household and I could have it. The price at the time (a deal I'll admit) was about $2500. Well, SOMEONE stole the art from the DC offices. The art didn't get back to the family so I couldn't buy it. Then, the charity auction blew the roof off of the Ross market and any thoughts I had about getting a Ross cover went straight out the window. The GL cover did turn up a bit later (DC vigorously investigated it) but by then there was no way in hell my deal was still happening.

Ruben

http://www.collectingfool.com

Sorry to hear about the piece that you nearly landed, I would have loved to have seen Alex's painted work over Gil's inks! :( Warm regards,

47750842782.29.GIF

That's the cover I had a deal for. The only other Alex Ross unreal opportunity I had was in 1994 when I had no clue who Alex Ross was. I was walking through the Village in NYC and there was an art showing at some gallery of Alex Ross' Marvels artwork. I hadn't even read the book yet but there was all this gorgeous art. I remember sticker shock at panel pages being in the hundreds and the covers well into the four digits! Well, no way I could ever pay that kind of money for art from an artist I didn't know. I wasn't even collecting OA that much back then, just had a handful of pieces I bought for $5-$20 each. Who knew?

Ruben

Alex Ross art was popular and sold well but he had an agent that participated on Comicart-L (a woman if I remember correctly) and she priced things fairly. With her being on the Comicart-L it was usually pretty easy to make a deal too. Then, the charity auction happened and his prices went through the roof!

I had arranged to purchase a Green Lantern cover that Alex painted over Gil Kane inks. They were just waiting for the cover to be returned to the Kane household and I could have it. The price at the time (a deal I'll admit) was about $2500. Well, SOMEONE stole the art from the DC offices. The art didn't get back to the family so I couldn't buy it. Then, the charity auction blew the roof off of the Ross market and any thoughts I had about getting a Ross cover went straight out the window. The GL cover did turn up a bit later (DC vigorously investigated it) but by then there was no way in hell my deal was still happening.

Ruben

I had a somewhat similar situation in which I placed an order for two Marvels pages with Lisa B. for $250 each. There was nothing on them, just Phil, the photographer/protagonist of the story. Lisa confirmed the order was on hold for me and then I heard nothing.

I tried to email, and call but couldn't get in touch with her. A few months later, I see them for sale on Sal's site for $2,500 each! I told Sal about the pages being on hold for me, but he said they were $2,500 regardless. The whole experience soured me and I haven't had any interest in acquiring Alex Ross art ever since.

Hey Ruben,

Great cover! And it's never shown up since :( I enjoyed your story of seeing the Marvels artwork in NYC. Best,

Royd

That's the cover I had a deal for. The only other Alex Ross unreal opportunity I had was in 1994 when I had no clue who Alex Ross was. I was walking through the Village in NYC and there was an art showing at some gallery of Alex Ross' Marvels artwork. I hadn't even read the book yet but there was all this gorgeous art. I remember sticker shock at panel pages being in the hundreds and the covers well into the four digits! Well, no way I could ever pay that kind of money for art from an artist I didn't know. I wasn't even collecting OA that much back then, just had a handful of pieces I bought for $5-$20 each. Who knew?

Ruben

In conversations with Sal Abananti (Alex's art agent) he mentioned to me that a lot of Alex's new art was being sold abroad, sepcifically Japan. This must play a massive part in keeping the new art prices what they are, as without these sales, there just would not be sufficient people in the US to keep his cover art (which he churns out a 1-4 a month) at the levels that are being asked.

makes sense, Who in their right mind is going to pay 19k or 20k for a watercolor

Wizard World Cover.