• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

CGC Grading Notes...

9 posts in this topic

Hi guys, my first time sending books to CGC, and I'm getting them back hopefully this week. I was just wondering, does CGC provide the grader notes on why the book was graded that way when they send the slab to you, or do you have to request for them? i did a search and didnt find anything available, thank you

chris

Hi guys, my first time sending books to CGC, and I'm getting them back hopefully this week. I was just wondering, does CGC provide the grader notes on why the book was graded that way when they send the slab to you, or do you have to request for them? i did a search and didnt find anything available, thank you

chris

Chris, notes will not be taken or recorded on economy tier (and possibly modern tier) books...ie the less expensive ones unless something is hidden and cannot be seen through the slab.

Also there is a chance that there will be less or no notes on books that are very high grade (9.6 and up) because the defects are minimal to almost invisible to most.

You can call CGC for notes but they generally prefer to do only a book at a time, possibly two.

I'd say examine the slabs closely once you get them and then choose a book or two and call in to see what you might be missing.

Calling for grading notes on 5 or 10 books won't go over well.

Lots of reading on these forums as well as reading the Overstreet Grading Guide (#2 edition is best IMO) will help you out the most.

Good luck!

thanks r1970d ! I sent 2 books in, an avengers 4 and a Giant Size x-men 1. The avengers 4 was graded 7.5 and the Giant Size x-men was a 8.5. I looked at my friends 9.2 Giant Size, and my copy was clearly better then his. So just wanted to see what the grader notes were thanks guys !

thanks r1970d ! I sent 2 books in, an avengers 4 and a Giant Size x-men 1. The avengers 4 was graded 7.5 and the Giant Size x-men was a 8.5. I looked at my friends 9.2 Giant Size, and my copy was clearly better then his. So just wanted to see what the grader notes were thanks guys !

Not a bad submittal (thumbs u But, "clearly" it wasn't . . . :whistle: It takes quite a few subs before you learn what CGC grades tough on and what they are lenient on.

You can call CGC for notes but they generally prefer to do only a book at a time, possibly two.

I'd say examine the slabs closely once you get them and then choose a book or two and call in to see what you might be missing.

Calling for grading notes on 5 or 10 books won't go over well.

Tough mess for them, I say. That's their own fault. Call 1-877-NMCOMIC (toll free) with all your CGC questions.

Hey everybody! This is my first post on any of these forums. I'm not sure if there is another thread that would better address this, but I'm sure that most of you would know more about this than me.

I used to have a large collection of CGCs, all Warren publications (Creepy, Eerie & Vampirella), most of them 9.4 and higher. I had to sell off that collection due to medical expenses but now I'm starting to look around again.

In looking, I've noticed something on Ebay that has me concerned. I've come across sellers offering graded mags that do not appear to come anywhere near the quality that the grade on them reflects. For example, there's a CGC 9.4 graded copy of Creepy #4 up for purchase right now. The seller has provided a large, clear pic that shows a date stamp right in the upper middle of the cover, plus ragged-looking corners plus other things. It doesn't look near as nice as a 7.5 copy of Eerie #11 that I used to have!

In my absence have crooks been able to get their hands on CGC cases, labels, etc. and are offering bogus product or is there just a real decline in consistency? Thanks for any info!