• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

help with fantastic four 2,3,4 grading question

6 posts in this topic

Hi, i've got an employee who came to me yesterday and said since he knew i collected comic books he wanted to get an idea what some books he had were worth. I asked what they were he said fantastic four, like the artwork you have up on the wall in your office. i asked him to bring them in. Today he brings me in fantastic four 1-10, 1 was dogged out, 5-10 pretty poor condition, but 2,3 and 4 were in really nice condition fine to very fine. i told him the best thing to do would to submit the 1-4 to cgc and see what they grade and i would help him sell them on ebay. the question is this, although the numbers 2, 3 and 4 are in really nice shape cover and page color wise, no rips, tears or tape, it looks like the middle page in all 3 of them is missing, like someone tore out an ad to mail something in. before i have him spend the money to send those 3 in, any ideas on how cgc would grade them, other than that i really can't see anything wrong with them, they look really nice.

any thoughts / help would be greatly appreciated

Don't send them in.

They will get a green label. frown.gif

Best to sell them raw than have one of those off-color labels...

Do you know how to grade? (2.0/4.0/etc...)

How bad is the FF 5?

My sense is that CGC would give them a Qualified (Green Label) grade noting that the book is "Incomplete - missing page x. Does not affect story" or something like that. There's an Ebay seller who has a nice Fantastic Four #17 that's graded a qualified 8.5 but is missing an ad page. At least, that's what I've seen on Ebay.

Dan

I don't believe many collectors would want the book unless they were going to be sneaky, and take your book and insert a page from a poor copy (which would still get a qualified grade).

My real point is that you won't get much premium getting the book graded (and you would pay a minimum of $50 a book to get them graded).

Best to put a big scan on eBay and note the missing pages.

From what I've seen there are two schools of thought regarding incomplete books.(green labels)

Some people feel that a book missing a non-story page should be worth somewhere around 1/4th of the book's original value. Others feel that it should not necessarily be considered a qualified VF, it should be considered a non-qualified Fair/Good because thats the type of grade Overstreet would give it. In that case the book would just be worth the fair/good guide price. The CGC would give the book a qualified VF grade, and most people on eBay would probably follow the same type of thinking. I would say with the pages missing its definitely not worth paying to have the books CGCed unless you think they will come back VERY high grade. I think once you hit a CGC 9.2, even if the label is green people will start paying well for it just to get a 9.2 on the label of their FF #2.. regardless of what color the label is.

Anything below a 9.0 and you're better off selling it raw.