• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Boardies! Urgent Help Needed - Customs Charges

180 posts in this topic

I'm really hoping any UK boardies (or any boardies for that matter!) may be able to help me out here pretty quickly, I'm pretty sure F_T knows something about this.

I'm expecting a few packages through from boardies and I've never encountered this before. I've had a card through from Royal Mail saying they couldn't deliver a package because Customs Charges are due - a whopping £44.50 worth!

So basically I'm going to have to fork out another $67 on top of what I've already paid just to get my package. Trouble is, I don't even know who it's from as the office they're holding it at shuts at 1:00pm :screwy:

Any info on these charges would be gratefully appreciated, and I'll extend my thanks in advance (thumbs u

img701.jpg

VAT is not applicable on reading matter in the UK, so if it's just comics you shouldn't have to pay anything.

That said - I've had to pay the charge in the past to get the PO to release the package to me, but didn't have any problem claiming the £ back....

Wow, I hope that isn't from the package I sent Gav :eek:

I'm expecting a few parcels through Steve, it could be any of them. I'll find out tomorrow morning but it's going to be a few weeks until I get my hands on the package. And without paying the fees.

Thanks again to Nick for taking the time to chat to me on the phone to sort that out, much appreciated mate (thumbs u

Comics books don't incur any customs charges, had much bigger items arrive and the custom charges would be over a thousand pounds, had to pay nothing so far.

Make sure anyone sending you comics labels them as reading materials etc

Thanks again to Nick for taking the time to chat to me on the phone to sort that out, much appreciated mate (thumbs u

Can you let us know the cause of this, and the outcome? I've got items in the mail to the UK right now. I'd love to avoid this scenario in the future. :juggle:

Props to Nick as well. :applause:

Can you let us know the cause of this, and the outcome? I've got items in the mail to the UK right now. I'd love to avoid this scenario in the future. :juggle:

Props to Nick as well. :applause:

Will do (thumbs u

I think it's probably what Imran says though - the package isn't labelled reading material. The thing that's me off is I don't know who it's off :frustrated:

Now does this happen when someone sends from UK to USA ? I have been thinking about selling and buying stuff from the UK but wouldn`t want someone to get hit with a huge custom charge like this or was the $44.50 not the norm?

I don't think our government can charge parcels being sent out, I bet they wish they could, no idea what import duties are like in the US

Now does this happen when someone sends from UK to USA ? I have been thinking about selling and buying stuff from the UK but wouldn`t want someone to get hit with a huge custom charge like this or was the $44.50 not the norm?

I don't think our government can charge parcels being sent out, I bet they wish they could, no idea what import duties are like in the US

import duties :roflmao: