• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Boardies! Urgent Help Needed - Customs Charges

180 posts in this topic

Nope, just the USPS box with the label in.

The guy was quite shocked when he saw them valued at $400. So I told him to also tell his son he obviously collects drek. And gave him a great place to buy comic supplies.

Like I said, I'm quite willing to call anyone I need to and yell at them for a while.

I'm...ahem...pretty good at giving a piece of my mind. ;)

"Gifts can be valuable and insured. Gav's my pal, and I chat with him every day. I thought it would be nice to send him something that he's really wanted. Since *I* didn't pay that much for them, I thought it'd be a nice gift. That doesn't mean they don't have value. Now give him his books, you tossers!"

Whaddaya think...? ;)

I'll give them a call on Monday, make that Tuesday as they won't be there Monday, and see what they say. If it'll help any then I'll send you the number and you can rant away :grin:

I'll also add a lot of these (worship) if it gets the books back to me any quicker lol

Fact is, and I'm speaking of European countries only, that you have to pay duties and turnover tax on imports for every item you import in your country. That's the reason why we have sales tax included in all prices of goods you can buy in your country. So even if the item is imported from another country, but you buy it in a shop in your country, you also have to pay sales tax for it.

Back to your story: There are goods where you won't have to pay duties, but turnover tax on imports is always to pay. You can also import goods for free, if the value is under a defined price (depends on the country). Even if it is a gift, it has to be under this defined price.

So the problem is: You can import comic books for free, if they are not declared with their real value or if the value is very low (cost free import). I was oftened asked about the value and I always told them a very low amount, so that it would be cost free. But if the seller doesn't want to lie on the customs form and you buy a 1.000 dollar book, then you have to pay all taxes for the item. In Austria, there are no duties on Comics but you have to pay 10% turnover tax on imports for the value of the books including shipping costs.

The value of the books in this package are probably the third or fourth highest I've brought into the country from the States. Every package has been disclosed for the true value - I like to know I'm covered on insurance - and this has never happened before.

The value of the books in this package are probably the third or fourth highest I've brought into the country from the States. Every package has been disclosed for the true value - I like to know I'm covered on insurance - and this has never happened before.

hm, maybe you have special customs regulations in the UK or the customs officers were very lazy in the past? (shrug)

hm, maybe you have special customs regulations in the UK or the customs officers were very lazy in the past? (shrug)

Printed matter into the UK is devoid of Customs Duty. This is the one-off thorn in the side so to speak.

Printed matter into the UK is devoid of Customs Duty. This is the one-off thorn in the side so to speak.

The duty maybe, but really also the turnover taxes? I mean these are imported goods, normally it doesn't matter what it is. It would mean, that every UK comic shop owner wouldn't have to pay turnover taxes for the books he sells... Really???

The duty maybe, but really also the turnover taxes? I mean these are imported goods, normally it doesn't matter what it is. It would mean, that every UK comic shop owner wouldn't have to pay turnover taxes for the books he sells... Really???

Really. (thumbs u

Zero rated for all tax, printed matter. (thumbs u

They're taxed through the business, these would be personal purchases for no personal gain, and as the books were paid for outside the UK the government have no right to charge me VAT on something I have imported - on printed material at least anyway.

Comic shops are different as they import to sell, so their taxes get caught on their turnover.

Really. (thumbs u

Hey Nick :hi:

Really. (thumbs u

Gav! :hi:

12 hours into my drinking bonanza...and it's all going well so far! :wishluck:

Really. (thumbs u

I didn't start til 7:00. Had to go shopping for Sydney's 1st birthday presents and you know what women are like once they get going meh

Well at least I snuck Batman Arkham Asylum for the X-Box in while we were out ;)

Really. (thumbs u

I didn't start til 7:00. Had to go shopping for Sydney's 1st birthday presents and you know what women are like once they get going meh

Well at least I snuck Batman Arkham Asylum for the X-Box in while we were out ;)

Top blagging! :applause:

Really. (thumbs u

Top blagging! :applause:

Getting to play the ing thing is a different story. I'm sure Cassidy will help me out on that one, she's Batman mad. Clever little bleeder for a three-year-old lol

They're taxed through the business, these would be personal purchases for no personal gain, and as the books were paid for outside the UK the government have no right to charge me VAT on something I have imported - on printed material at least anyway.

Comic shops are different as they import to sell, so their taxes get caught on their turnover.

Ok, it seems that the UK have special regulations for comic books. Lucky UK collectors!

But overall it doesn't matter if purchases are for personal gain or if you pay outside of your country for the goods. When foreign goods are imported, taxes are due. Even if you are on holidays in the USA and buy a new camera, when you come back to your country you would have to pay taxes.

Honestly, I also don't understand why I have to pay taxes for old comic books, which you can't even buy in Austria and which only have collector's value. Which means, I don't hurt the economy of my country if I buy the books elsewhere, because it's the only option. Laws are sometimes very strange and the government also wants to get their money...

Ok, it seems that the UK have special regulations for comic books. Lucky UK collectors!

But overall it doesn't matter if purchases are for personal gain or if you pay outside of your country for the goods. When foreign goods are imported, taxes are due. Even if you are on holidays in the USA and buy a new camera, when you come back to your country you would have to pay taxes.

Honestly, I also don't understand why I have to pay taxes for old comic books, which you can't even buy in Austria and which only have collector's value. Which means, I don't hurt the economy of my country if I buy the books elsewhere, because it's the only option. Laws are sometimes very strange and the government also wants to get their money...

The non-taxing of comics goes back many years to a government drive to increase literacy. There are no taxes on books, magazines, newspapers, etc., etc., and there is no duty on the importing of same. (thumbs u

The non-taxing of comics goes back many years to a government drive to increase literacy. There are no taxes on books, magazines, newspapers, etc., etc., and there is no duty on the importing of same. (thumbs u

They'll need to change that soon to drag some revenue into the government coffers.

Well Nick I've refused the package and have been given a phone number for customs and a reference number. But guess what, yep, nobody is answering the phone meh

Now I can understand the PO closing at 12:00 or whatever time, but you'd have thought customs worked weekends wouldn't you?

I can see this taking a while to sort out, but as long as I end up with my Bats #227 and #427 I don't care.

Soooo...it IS my shipment, then?

Why the hell did they ignore the CLEARLY MARKED GIFT section?

Everything else aside, it's marked GIFT, because that's what it is.

To me at least. ;)

I've never encountered this issue before. Lame.

In the UK, marking it as a gift does not exempt it from Duty, If the value is over £36 i think, not like the US, marking it printed or reading materials would have exempted it from the charge.

Had ordered PS2 from japan when they first came out and friend sent it to me marked as a gift, counted for nothing

Tax law discussions ... :cloud9:

Well Nick I've refused the package and have been given a phone number for customs and a reference number. But guess what, yep, nobody is answering the phone meh

Now I can understand the PO closing at 12:00 or whatever time, but you'd have thought customs worked weekends wouldn't you?

I can see this taking a while to sort out, but as long as I end up with my Bats #227 and #427 I don't care.

Soooo...it IS my shipment, then?

Why the hell did they ignore the CLEARLY MARKED GIFT section?

Everything else aside, it's marked GIFT, because that's what it is.

To me at least. ;)

I've never encountered this issue before. Lame.

In the UK, marking it as a gift does not exempt it from Duty, If the value is over £36 i think, not like the US, marking it printed or reading materials would have exempted it from the charge.

Had ordered PS2 from japan when they first came out and friend sent it to me marked as a gift, counted for nothing

It was marked "printed materials", just without those words....Batman #227 and Batman #427 are, quite clearly, printed materials.

(thumbs u