• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Frazetta... I don't think so.

6 posts in this topic

Which makes me wonder: with Ellie passing away, and the Frazetta museum closed because of that, will we start to see more "forged" bills of sale from the Frazetta museum? Things like Heritage of Sothebys you can go back and check, but a family-run museum? We may be in for a rough few years of Frazetta fakes in the future.

Dave

Yes, that is an authentic Frazetta. However, it is a VERY weak left-handed drawing that was done after one of Frank's major strokes. There is a lot of art out there just like this. I consider it all a black mark on Frank's reputation. Several people advised Ellie not to sell these examples. A famous gallery owner in NYC told her to burn them.

I told Ellie 25 years ago that a full catalog raissonne of extant Frazetta original art needed to be put together. This would prevent all the forgery issues and discussions. Ellie told me that "it wasn't important".

Oh well....

DocDave

Yes, that is an authentic Frazetta. However, it is a VERY weak left-handed drawing that was done after one of Frank's major strokes. There is a lot of art out there just like this. I consider it all a black mark on Frank's reputation. Several people advised Ellie not to sell these examples. A famous gallery owner in NYC told her to burn them.

I told Ellie 25 years ago that a full catalog raissonne of extant Frazetta original art needed to be put together. This would prevent all the forgery issues and discussions. Ellie told me that "it wasn't important".

Oh well....

DocDave

Well there you go... I stand corrected. Thanks.

Oh well....

DocDave

I'm surprised that was Ellie's stand on the issue Dave.

You are correct that a Catalog Raissonne should be published, and Alex was probably right that the pieces should have been burned.

Rich