• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Let's Talk Toth

12 posts in this topic

Inspired by the book LOVE ON THE RACKS, I've been looking for an OA romance cover for my collection. Then I came across this on eBay --

BZHuQKCGkKGrHgoH-DIEjlLlul7eBKlGRe6.jpg

...and, hey, the grumpy cover guy's name is Hal. So I put in a bid. I won't get it.

Because, with a little research, I see that the cover artist is Alex Toth.

Great, legendary, artist -- but this a romance cover. Romance doesn't tend to go for big bucks but Toth does. Anybody have a guess what somebody will pay?

excuse me.. isn't that a Neal Adams cover.....

Looks like it in the guy's face, just a little.

But according to Neal's own bio/checklist he never did a Young Love cover.

C

Congrats, that's a very nice cover. I'm sorry to tell you though that it isn't Alex Toth as far as I can tell.

Your confusion might come from the fact that Young Love 123 reprints a story Alex did six years earlier in Secret Hearts 141 (20 Miles to Heartbreak (pt 2 of 4)).

I've been focusing on Alex Toth's artwork for years now and I've compiled a database of all his work put together from many different sources and NONE of them ever credited this cover to him. If you want to double check, make a nice, large scan and I'll examine the art up close but I'm pretty close to 100% positive it's not Alex.

Ruben

http://www.collectingfool.com

Where is this artwork posted? Is it currently for sale availble to bid on, on eBay? What's it listed under?

As the original poster mentioned, it's up for bids on eBay -

Young Love 123 Cover

and the lister added it's a Dick Giordano cover. (thumbs u

oh yeah that makes sense.. he and Adams did develop a similar style right about this time in the "Stan Drake" mold, and come to think of it.. Giordano also inked some Adams

Congrats, that's a very nice cover. I'm sorry to tell you though that it isn't Alex Toth as far as I can tell.

Your confusion might come from the fact that Young Love 123 reprints a story Alex did six years earlier in Secret Hearts 141 (20 Miles to Heartbreak (pt 2 of 4)).

Ruben

http://www.collectingfool.com

Man, is my face red. You'd think I'd have known better, Ruben, since I'd recently visited your website and saw some nice Alex Toth artwork.

The cover does seem Adam-ish...but there was a period when several artists were drawing in the Adams' style (Bill Sienkiewicz was one of 'em and he was very good, indeed)...but it doesn't seem Toth-ish, does it?

But it's by Giordano? I just might be able to afford a Giordano cover....