• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Anyone collect parts/incomplete books?
2 2

38 posts in this topic

Howdy all. I am pretty much a bottom feeder. I buy golden age missing pages, coverless etc. I think its a lot cheaper than buying the slabbed that you cant even enjoy. It takes patience looking for parts, but I have complete a lot of nice books such as action 4 and detective 28.

Does anyone else collect parts? Would love to hear about books you have completed or parts that you have/need.

Ankur

I would think collecting parts may be a good idea for some extremely pricey books..if you get the complete interior of a book and then buy just the cover and the back..can't you have someone restore it all back together so you have a comic book again?

Brian

Brian,

Its wishful thinking that you will find a cover if you have a coverless. BUT, there is a good chance you will find an incomplete copy, and combine it with your coverless, and you have a complete book. Thats what I did with the action 4. I bought a copy missing 4 pages, then found a coverless that had those pages. Baddabing, got a nice complete action 4 ;-).

Sometimes you will also find a comic wiht a nice cover but a brittle interior, so that can be merged with a coverless. I just did this with a more fun 57. Did it with a detective 35 last year. It actually seems easier to do this with golden age than silver age though....silver age parts are much harder to find from what I have seen.

Ankur

I have to get the site back up. Im in my last year of college, and havent had time to update the site. BUT, I plan to do it in the next month cool.gif and will have a lot more pictures, esp. of parts and books I have completed!

There must be money in incomplete bks. About 5 interior pgs to Superman story fr Action 1 were being sold individually on ComicLink each in their mylar. May have been consigned to Heritage/N Cage auction. Not sure if they sold thru.

Books like Action 1 and Detective 27 are pretty much in a league of their own. Parts of those will still cost you an arm at least ;-). The money spent on a page at comiclink would be better off being invested in a nice complete comic in my opinion. Or just try saving up for a complete action 1.

But for any of the later actions, parts are more affordable, and books can be completed. I have a coverless action 5 at this time (and have seen quite a few of them). And have completed actions 4, 9, 12, 13, 14, 15 all by piecing them together. Also completed detective 28,33,34,35,38 and have a coverless detective 29. Some books it is just impossible to find parts to, such as action 7 and detecitve 29. I have the covrless 29, but the chances of finding an incomplete? Pretty much slim to none. So I will just hold on the coverless until I can afford a complete copy. Although I could get a reproduction cover on it, send it to CGC, and it will get a mark of Extensive Pro resto ;-)

Ankur

I've only done this once. I had bought a coverless copy of Marvel #34 at a flea market for $5. A couple of months later, add one my my regular comic book stores, the owner told me he found an interesting box he forgot he had with "parts". Sure enough, one of the parts was the cover to Marvel Mystery #34. He gave it to me and I ended up with a complete book. Was fun to do.

Hi Ankur,

My most successful piece-together is Spy Smasher #10 (a Hitler cover that come to think of it belongs on that other thread). Bought a VG- copy on eBay, opened it up, found an interior page was taped up. Seller did not want to accept a return (yeah, yeah Overstreet now allows tape on VG comics), but did offer to discount the ending price after the fact. So I bide my time and within a few months I win another Spy Smasher #10 at a very low price due to a badly soiled and damaged back cover. Open this one up, it is missing pages, but fortunately not the pages I need (what, does nobody else in the world bother to open up copies of this particular issue?? confused.gif ) Anyway, now I have a nice-enough-for-me copy of this book (Moderate (A) Restoration wink.gif ) at a reasonable discount to book value. Didn't save a lot of money, but did have fun! And I do have some leftover pieces--including a decent front cover-- of this particular issue.

By the way, I'm looking forward to getting that coverless More Fun #58 I just BIN from you on eBay.

Take care,

Zonker (dude)

I've sold several early Golden Age books missing two or three "wraps" on eBay - a Flash Comics 2, a Superman 3, 5 and 13, a Batman 2. But the best of all was just the Green Lantern story from All American 17 (2nd Green Lantern story), autographed by Martin Nodell. Somebody had cut just that story out and sent it to Nodell. Bizarre.

BTW, I have a coverless Fantastic Four 1. Would love to find a cover!

I had a coverless fantastic four 1 for a few years. Never found a cover unfortunately. But I did find a copy that had a rat chew through the entire book at the bottom left corner. The interior was badly effected too. I got it cheap, slapped my interior on, and sold the leftovers. Turned out nice!

Ankur

I purchased a beautiful VG+ Captain America Comics # 2 cover "without the interior" on ebay for $380. I searched and searched, then about 2 years later i picked up an ok coverless copy on ebay (I was forced to bid the hell out of it and got ripped at $520 but what choice did i have?). They are still in 2 seperate pieces but i plan on marrying them soon. Its going to make one Sweet comic! I probably could have picked up a lower grade, complete copy for the same price (after restoration which will be about $350). Total will be $1,250 for a restored VG/FN Cap 2. What do you guys think?

893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Elvis