• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Who is the Rob Liefeld of comic book writers?

83 posts in this topic

I personally like Bendis writing, especially on Ultimate Spider-man and on the New Avengers. I would tend to think that he works best on individual characters and needs to be steered away from the crime noir . I really wish he would completely take over writing on Spider-man titles. His dialogue is excellent between the characters.

The most over-rated writer that I can think of is Brian Azzarello(his Superman run was utter garbage), and Jeph Loeb. I can't really think of anything he has done in the last 15 years that was any good.

I just bought the first trade of 100 Bullets because just about everyone I know said it was great. Now, I'm a little worried.

100 Bullets is madnastycreamy good.

I can't argue over what he did on Supes, but he put out one of the best stories of the last decade in 100 Bullets, and that's not just me saying that- it's a heck of a lot of people, both inside and outside the industry.

Same here - 100 Bullets was fantastic. And I loved Azzarello's the Joker as well.

Grant Morrison

on or off of heroin?

j

He has been off it?

after seeing the mess he's made of the DCU, I also say Morrison :sick:

Don't let Spectre hear you say that...we'll get a 'hiyo undecipherable gibberish' post.

Bendis suffers from being too popular with the masses so some people have to hate him. Kind of like some people won't read anything that Oprah Winfrey puts in her book club. I think the guys a good writer and I like what he's done with the Avengers.

Bill Mantlo was always the worst in my eyes.

Judd Winnick. DC keeps using him on high profile books and he keeps killing them. Batman is tanking with him as writer.

Bendis is pretty damned good but team books dont give him enough space to do his style of massive hip dialogue

I think if you were consistently bad, you wouldn't get the opportunity to write at all.

That being said, you're only as good as your latest work, and I haven't been too impressed with Frank Miller's latest work. (Nor Jeff Loebs.)

Both have done stellar work in the past, however.

EDIT: (Oops. Seems we both said Frank Miller at the same time...) doh!

We want a writer who was first seen as good by naive readers then laughed off as a no-talent. I honestly can't think of one.

Jeph Loeb.

wonder_woman.jpg .

Long Halloween

Dark Victory

Daredevil : Yellow

Hulk: Gray

Spider-Man: Blue

Catwoman: When in Rome..

AND

Heroes when it was still good.......did you happen to notice how bad those shows got AFTER he left?

Almost forgot about Superman for All Seasons...if you don't like this there is no hope.

Frank Miller is a case. I loved his work when it came out. As they say, "It was a breath of fresh air". I also have to admire his success in film.

I can't read his work today though. I think his success writing comics might be one of those case of "different" trumping "good".

Also, partly because of Miller,the standard has changed. A well written comic today is better than a well written comic when Miller was doing Daredevil or Ronin.

We want a writer who was first seen as good by naive readers then laughed off as a no-talent. I honestly can't think of one.

Jeph Loeb.

+1 (thumbs u

Bendis.

And I can't defend this now, but will later, if I must.

I think that Bendis has done some terrible stuff but his runs on Daredevil and a lot of Ultimate Spidey were excellent. He can't seen to get team books right but he is slowly improving. Dark Avengers shows promise.

I suppose I should be grateful that I've never actually read any Liefeld.

The only Bendis I've read is his Daredevil run - which I thought was great.

Jeph Loeb hasn't impressed me, but what I've read has been okay (mostly the Batman stuff with Time Sale).

Azzarello's 100 Bullets got a little convoluted - but I really like his work - Filthy Rich is excellent.

I find Grant Morrison uneven - but his Doom Patrol was brilliant, one of my favorite series of all time!

Unlike bad art - which is hard to avoid seeing if only in passing, bad writing takes a bit more effort to be exposed to - and the perpetrators more easily forgotten. I know I've read some god-awful comics over the years, but have managed to repress the specifics.

Frank Miller is a case. I loved his work when it came out. As they say, "It was a breath of fresh air". I also have to admire his success in film.

I can't read his work today though. I think his success writing comics might be one of those case of "different" trumping "good".

Also, partly because of Miller,the standard has changed. A well written comic today is better than a well written comic when Miller was doing Daredevil or Ronin.

Miller's earlier writing ( at least through Batman Year One), is pretty good. Somewhere along the line he lost the magic, and while I'm a big fan of crime comics, I got really tired of his writing after a while in Sin City even though it contained some of his best art.