• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

How to you determine LG-MG-HG?

34 posts in this topic

I differ on the age of the book theory, while it is hard to find certain GA in HG, I say an 8.0 is an 8.0. I don't get into the apple and oranges argument. I deem proper care is proper care(reBBing every 5 yrs., proper climate control etc..).

MHO

LG - .5 - 3.5

MG - 4.0 - 7.0

HG - 7.5 - 10.0

This is general and applies specifically to Silver Age. I would shift slightly depending on era. For instance, a GA 3.5 may be MG.... and a modern 7.5/8.0 may fall into the MG category.

smile.gif

I differ on the age of the book theory, while it is hard to find certain GA in HG, I say an 8.0 is an 8.0. I don't get into the apple and oranges argument. I deem proper care is proper care(reBBing every 5 yrs., proper climate control etc..).

I agree that a grade is a grade and books should not be graded on a curve.... but what grades fit in the LG-MG-HG categories should be flexible with era.

I agree with currincomics thumbsup2.gif

Although I've always considered 9.8 and up as ultra high-grade... thumbsup2.gif

I thought the term was uber high-grade.... 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

My grade matrix would be thus:

LG = .5 to 3.0

VGG = 3.5 to 5.5

MG = 6.0 to 8.0

HG = 8.5 to 9.6

UHG = 9.8 to 10.0

I added the VGG (very good grade) numonic because...being a GA buyer, I am used to my VGG to being a nice grade...also...I would much rather have a 8.0 GA book than an 8.0 in a BA or MA book...

Based purely on collecting Golden Age books, I would say it falls out this way:

LG = .5 to 3.5

MG = 4.0 to 7.5

HG = 8.0 to 10.0

Yeah, that's an enormous range for "Mid Grade", but you know, there are a ton of mid grade books out there. HG is quite rare with Golden Age and should be priced accordingly.

Low Grade doesn't = uninvestable, depending on the scarcity of the books. In fact, one of my biggest pet peeves is Golden Age sellers who can't accurately distinguish between 2.0 and 4.0. For many rare keys, there's a huge price difference within the spectrum of LG and lower MG, and accurate grading of books with lots of accumulated defects is a must.

Here comes the sign-rantpost.gif :

The worst, of course, are the sellers who grade a book 4.0 when they're selling it and 2.0 when they're buying it. I once took a few comics to a large NYC-based comic shop, comics THAT I HAD PURCHASED IN A MAIL ORDER FROM THAT VERY SHOP 3 MONTHS BEFORE, and innocently asked for their grading advice, and the head guy there WHO HAD SOLD ME THOSE BOOKS 3 MONTHS AGO graded them all 1.5-2.0 points below where he had previously labeled them for his inventory. He then kicked me out of his shop when I showed him the $2600 receipt (HIS OWN) for those books, with the grades listed, saying that those weren't the same comics. Yeah, right, like I had an extra copy of King Comics #1 laying around to use to trap him....

Ok, rant over. I feel better now. Sorry to have hijacked the original question.

Yes, so would I for obvious reasons, but the topic excludes monetary value. I just do'nt think it's right to grade on a curve. Along with the "Church" collection I can site what I know as the HG Pennsylvania and the HG Kansas City collections. So, if the majority of GA collections did'nt recive the proper care it should not change the thinking of LG to HG because of this, and I'm happy with the fact that it's hard to find HG..GA material, but that should not make a curve for judgement of what is HG. That is just the opinion of one collector though.

I thought the term was uber high-grade....

Give him a break. English is like his 5th language.

Chris

Klootzak! (Sorry, had to say it!) devil.gif

Yeah and uber is such a fine English word..... makepoint.gif

And...oh EIKEL !!! hi.gif

It always seems we have people on different side of the fence about what's HG pertaining to the age a comic is from, so I ask everyone, I of course think we are heading twoards a split market between "slabbed" and "raw"(if were not already there), but the Ages may split also into different markets. Example;

GA-9.0=SA-7.0=BA-5.0 and the books would have the same/equal # of flaws.

When I got back into collecting a couple of years ago,after about a 15 year sabbatical, I used to have the same mindset as you on this subject...Well... after finding these boards ands seeing all genre in various grades I've had to fine tune my thinking somewhat...

For example...the manufacturing procedure as well as paper quality for a GA book was quite differant than that of a BA book and so on through the ages...thus grading must be based on a slightly differant scale since some detrimental factors that are present in a GA book simply aren't there in a BA book...

Simply put...I believe an 8.0 GA book can have more defects then an 8.0 BA since the preservation of the GA book was of a higher magnitude and has to account for something... thumbsup2.gif

JMO...

This is how it falls for me when putting books in these three categories.

LG- .5 to 3.5

MG-4.0 to 7.0

HG-7.5 to 10.0

My Silver-Age standards: V = Very U = Ultra

VLG/POS : below Good 2.0

LG : 2.0 - 4.0

MG : 4.5 - 6.5 (a nicer 4.0 might fit here too for a big $$$ key)

HG : 7.0 - 9.0

VHG : 9.2 - 9.6

UHG : 9.8+ (I'll probably never own own one... frown.gif )