• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Fantastic Four #2 - grading opinions?

51 posts in this topic

this is a test - hope i don't screw it up completely..........http://images.andale.com/f2/130/119/14270686/1075941596465_ff_2.front.jpg

if this works you'll see my beloved FF#2 with the chunk ripped out by the steel teeth that held it in place until i liberated it back in the end of 1961 at a local candy store in Orange NJ. an otherwise lovely copy, methinks........ 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

There is nothing at that URL.

I use Andale too and it should work.

Just up-load the pic and get the correct URL.

Don't use the thumbnail's URL, or try to open the thumbnail in another window to get at the big picture, or else you get the wrong URL. I made those mistakes years ago when I first started using Andale.

First of all, you're not using the right image code. Just click on the image link below the Message Window and copy in the URL.

Secondly, your URL is incorrect or you don't have remote image loading, and (even when using the correct code) it loads a "1pixel.gif" blank image instead.

So go back to Andale, check out their URL View section, copy the URL and then try loading it in a blank Browser Window. If it works, then come back here and repost. Otherwise, contact Andale to see what's up.

thanks to ACES and JOECOLLECTOR and the andale "live chat" service, it should be straightened out. although when i "chatted" with andale they said it was working all along and i haven't changed anything from the original. perhaps it was just a timing issue?? if this doesn't work, i'm just sending them to redhook for his expertise.

http://images.andale.com/f2/130/119/14270686/1075941596465_ff_2_front.jpg

http://images.andale.com/f2/130/119/14270686/1074414265668_ff_2_back.jpg

here goes nothing 893crossfingers-thumb.gif

First of all, you're not using the right image code. Just click on the image link below the Message Window and copy in the URL.

Secondly, your URL is incorrect or you don't have remote image loading, and (even when using the correct code) it loads a "1pixel.gif" blank image instead.

So go back to Andale, check out their URL View section, copy the URL and then try loading it in a blank Browser Window. If it works, then come back here and repost. Otherwise, contact Andale to see what's up.

Hey Burnt, it was worth the wait. Yeah, obviously the rack one the battle of this one, but it's a REALLY nice copy! I'm sure a lot of collectors wouldn't think twice about the missing piece.....think of it as marvel chipping on steriods.

The edges look great. And what a nice book, being owned by the original buyer all these years. The back looks great too! Have no idea what it would grade.....if not of the chunk I'd say an 8.0?

Maybe 7.0 with the missing piece?

But I have a notoriously bad record with grading on these boards, so I'm curious to see what others think.

It definitely falls into the category of D.I. (Desireable Item)! thumbsup2.gif

i hope a few of the other frequent contributors take a look and comment. it's interesting that as i was storing some photos of some of my best, i found bad stuff i'd never realized (or perhaps had convenient memory lapse) existed on some of my KEYS. i won't divulge that here as i'd like to run some of these past the gang, but i am SO much more realistic about what i see now (even my own stuff, i hope).

this will be a good test for me..........as i have my own idea about this one, for example....... 893crossfingers-thumb.gif

Nice looking book!

That said, the chunk out dwarfs the other qualities (or detractions) of the book, and I think you're looking at a 5.0 or so.

Wonderful book! 893applaud-thumb.gif

It would be a VF/VF+ book for sure without that darn chip. tonofbricks.gif

I'd have to guess VF- (7.5).

But after seeing the ignoring of Marvel Chipping in another thread, I'd say get it slabbed and hope for a 8.5 or an 8.0, and then sell it and buy a nice F+/FVF and keep the grand you save for other things. tongue.gif

If you add up the surface area of the three chips along the right side and the missing nick at the top spine corner is it much different?

I will say that the surface gloss on the TOS 40 looks much stronger.

Maybe the FF 2 is only F+/FVF.

In the VF grade range (7.0-8.5) how does gloss affect the grade?

Is there a formula?

That's a nice book. thumbsup2.gif

I hate trying to give a grade based on only scans, but I'd say somewhere from F+ to VF- (that's 6.5 to 7.5 for the dummies). If I had to narrow it down I"d lean more toward the 6.5 area.

That said, the chunk out dwarfs the other qualities (or detractions) of the book, and I think you're looking at a 5.0 or so.

Come on, surely you remember that book with 1/3 of the cover missing, and it still got a Universal 6.0.

I'd say anywhere from 6.0 to 7.5, but no idea exactly where.