• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Paypal now holding payments "hostage" for ebay transactions???

79 posts in this topic

I just received a payment for a comic I sold on ebay and received this strange e-mail from Paypal. To make sure this was authentic, I logged in to my account and it is, unfortunately.

NOTICE OF PAYMENT RECEIVED - PLEASE SHIP ITEM

You've received a payment, detailed below. We’ve placed a temporary hold on the funds for this transaction.

PayPal and eBay are working together to make payments for eBay items even safer. Because we want both buyers and sellers to feel confident about sending and receiving payments through PayPal, we may temporarily hold payments for items sold on eBay.

Make sure to ship the item right away, so you'll have access to the funds sooner. We’ll release the hold in 21 days unless you receive a dispute, claim, chargeback, or reversal on the transaction subject to the hold. We may release the hold earlier if either of the following occurs:

The buyer leaves you positive feedback on eBay.

We confirm that the item was delivered.* We can confirm delivery if you ship the item with USPS, FedEx, or UPS and either use PayPal shipping labels or upload tracking information from the transaction details page. This applies to transactions within the United States.

Additional hold period

If you receive a dispute, claim, chargeback, or reversal on the transaction subject to the hold, we may hold the payment until the problem is resolved.

Learn more about the PayPal policy for payment holds for eBay items.

We will notify you by email when the funds are released. You can monitor the status of the hold in your Transaction History.

* This applies to US domestic transactions that are shipped by USPS, FedEx, or UPS and either (i) use PayPal shipping labels to ship items or (ii) provide tracking information to PayPal.

Now I am supposed to pay for shipping orders before I can access the funds paid by the buyer to ship the items? This is ridiculous, but should not come as a surprise. I guess the next step will be to require the seller to deliver each item personally. Has anyone else been subjected to this?

I just received a payment for a comic I sold on ebay and received this strange e-mail from Paypal. To make sure this was authentic, I logged in to my account and it is, unfortunately.

NOTICE OF PAYMENT RECEIVED - PLEASE SHIP ITEM

You've received a payment, detailed below. We’ve placed a temporary hold on the funds for this transaction.

PayPal and eBay are working together to make payments for eBay items even safer. Because we want both buyers and sellers to feel confident about sending and receiving payments through PayPal, we may temporarily hold payments for items sold on eBay.

Make sure to ship the item right away, so you'll have access to the funds sooner. We’ll release the hold in 21 days unless you receive a dispute, claim, chargeback, or reversal on the transaction subject to the hold. We may release the hold earlier if either of the following occurs:

We will notify you by email when the funds are released. You can monitor the status of the hold in your Transaction History.

* This applies to US domestic transactions that are shipped by USPS, FedEx, or UPS and either (i) use PayPal shipping labels to ship items or (ii) provide tracking information to PayPal.

Now I am supposed to pay for shipping orders before I can access the funds paid by the buyer to ship the items? This is ridiculous, but should not come as a surprise. I guess the next step will be to require the seller to deliver each item personally. Has anyone else been subjected to this?

[font:Arial Black] What The FRAK???[/font] :screwy: so let me get this right The SELLER has to ship his item first, THEN he gets paid? isn't it suposed to be the other way around?

That is BS.

So they are supposed to be an alternative to traditional credit card payment, but now they are taking the approach that credit card companies do where they hold a portion of in-flight transactions for risk protection. But it is for established businesses in industries that are a high risk (this happened to Frontier Airlines, which contributed to their bankruptcy when the risk level was raised).

I could understand if your account had problems in the past where they couldn't refund money for a dispute with a given seller. But to start doing this across the board is not right.

well it is good for the buyers, so that don't get scammed by scammers. (shrug):sorry:
What about the sellers?

When the buyer-seller rating system was reduced to one party, the writing was on the wall.

Now I know why people call it ''Evil-bay'' :fear:

Yes this is true. It's never happened to me probably because they only do it to newer accounts. I've had mine for 9 yrs with no problems so my payments all go through. *fingers crossed*

The worst part is that they hold your shipping costs as well so you are in a slot of having no item in hand and no money. You have to wait until either PayPal gets confirmation the article was received or the customers says "Everything is Okay".

I would like to let everyone who doesn't know know this one very important fact. If the item is over $200 YOU MUST get the signature delivery confirmation. They say $250 or $300 on their website. But they go on a case by case basis. If you sell an item over $200 and don't have proof via signature delivery confirmation it';s like you didn't ship it at all. Insurance isn't good enough, regular delivery confirmation isn't good enough. One they sign they get the package. It's good enough.

I had a $600 lot of comics that even though they were insured to the hilt and delivery confirmationed the lack of signature almost lost me my money. The guy swore he never got them. He did a charge back. Paypal held my funds. it took weeks to get the money back in my account. Turned out the guys girlfriend took the package at the door and set them in a closet and forgot to tell him about it showing up.

If you don't prove via delivery confirmation with signature that the item was signed for PayPal will automatically side with the buyer no question.

well it is good for the buyers, so that don't get scammed by scammers. (shrug):sorry:
What about the sellers?

When the buyer-seller rating system was reduced to one party, the writing was on the wall.

It appears that ebay will not be satisfied until they run themselves out of business. Taking a "you're guilty until proven innocent, and then you're still guilty" approach is self-destructive. BTW, this transaction is for an earth-shattering amount of $10.00!!

I had a $600 lot of comics that even though they were insured to the hilt and delivery confirmationed the lack of signature almost lost me my money. The guy swore he never got them. He did a charge back. Paypal held my funds. it took weeks to get the money back in my account. Turned out the guys girlfriend took the package at the door and set them in a closet and forgot to tell him about it showing up.

WOMAN! what can you do? :insane:

Yes this is true. It's never happened to me probably because they only do it to newer accounts. I've had mine for 9 yrs with no problems so my payments all go through. *fingers crossed*

The worst part is that they hold your shipping costs as well so you are in a slot of having no item in hand and no money. You have to wait until either PayPal gets confirmation the article was received or the customers says "Everything is Okay".

I would like to let everyone who doesn't know know this one very important fact. If the item is over $200 YOU MUST get the signature delivery confirmation. They say $250 or $300 on their website. But they go on a case by case basis. If you sell an item over $200 and don't have proof via signature delivery confirmation it';s like you didn't ship it at all. Insurance isn't good enough, regular delivery confirmation isn't good enough. One they sign they get the package. It's good enough.

If you don't prove via delivery confirmation with signature that the item was signed for PayPal will automatically side with the buyer no question.

:o

Now that is a lot of money to have on hold if you are doing part-time selling to buy more comics, and not a large dealer.

Glad it turned out okay in the end, though never fun.

women..lol I have had that happen more than once. One guy was so mad he didn't get the Uncle Scrooge lot he bought from me before his kid's birthday. Turns out the kid signed for the package opened it and never mentioned it. I had already refunded the guys money after weeks of trying to track down the package.

The postman didn't scan the delivery confirmation upon drop off so the books showed as in transit for weeks.

Luckily the buyer was majorly apologetic and gave me the money back +$5 after he found out what happened.

What is this a new account?what sort of item is it?? crazy..

This is not a new account; I've had it for at least five years. The item is an Iron Man comic.

Do you sell often or has your account been dormant for a bit? This is weird. I have never had a payment held ever and I sold a book for nearly $500 a weeks or so ago.