• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

What era of hi grade slabs are MOST likely to see price declines in next 5 yrs?

What era of hi grade slabs are MOST likely to see price declines in next 5 years?  

411 members have voted

1. 1. What era of hi grade slabs are MOST likely to see price declines in next 5 years?

27 posts in this topic

Well, we definitely know the market will not run out of Spawn 1s any time soon.

1.7 million copies of Spawn 1 were produced.

http://www.spawn.com/info/todd/bio.long.aspx

"When the first issue of Spawn was shipped in May 1992, it sold 1.7 million copies, making it the best-selling independent comic book to date."

I voted 80s comics. There have been some high $$ sales in recent years, but teh supply will flood the census and prove them to be practically valueless, with teh supply far exceeding demand.

Ironically, its CGC that elevated these prices due to the perception of scarcity in say 9.8. But when the census shows 250 copies already slabbed, buyers dont have to hurry to grab one.

Ironic, I say because if you came across a NM+ raw copy at a show and there werent a running count in a census to be aware of, one might STILL perceive such a sweet book to be scarce in that condidtion, same as was thought as the first dozen 9.8s appeared.

"When the first issue of Spawn was shipped in May 1992, it sold 1.7 million copies, making it the best-selling independent comic book to date."

Ironically it's hard (at least for me) to find a 9.8 copy for less than 20.00. (shrug)

I would split two genres and go 1980-1995. Other then a few books like ASM 300 and such many were over produced and highly speculated. Isnt Wolverine 1 Mini still the highest book submitted?

1996-2003 The print runs plummetted and thus even with a large demand some books supply just doesnt match. While I cant say if slab collectors will continue to rise has a hobby, if it does this time frame will yield some increases on mainstream books and even some low produced ones like WD, Goon, Invincible and such.

I would split two genres and go 1980-1995. Other then a few books like ASM 300 and such many were over produced and highly speculated. Isnt Wolverine 1 Mini still the highest book submitted?

1996-2003 The print runs plummetted and thus even with a large demand some books supply just doesnt match. While I cant say if slab collectors will continue to rise has a hobby, if it does this time frame will yield some increases on mainstream books and even some low produced ones like WD, Goon, Invincible and such.

I have to agree.

I would assume from New Teen Titans 1 (1980) on, many books considered as team/character launches/relaunches, these books were purchased in-bulk.

Once the market tanked and production numbers came down drastically, that's where you may find the tougher books in high grade.

Wolverine 1, last time someone checked, still topped the list for most submitted, with 5,462 shown in the census. 928 are CGC 9.8s, 13 are CGC 9.9s, and 2 are CGC 10.0s.

But honestly, I'd still want one because it was such a great series. I'd just be careful on the price knowing the bulk/warehouse of high-grades out there.

Ironically it's hard (at least for me) to find a 9.8 copy for less than 20.00. (shrug)

so Spawn 1 ended up being a good investment, you payed about a buck for it then and now can sell for $50 slabbed. If a comic is popular, print runs have no factor, case in point Incredible Hulk $181.