• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

These prices are AMAZING...WOW....UNBELIEVABLE

72 posts in this topic

I still contend that some of the prices are artificially reached. In other words some sort of oversight into the auction might uncover, well, things that yo expect on eBay

I still contend there's at least one very deep pocket, with a few moderate deep pockets chasing him, collecting the highest grade runs he possibly can and that's why we're consistently seeing insane prices the last 6 months or so. The record prices I'm seeing match the pattern from 2002 when a deep pocket was setting insane new highs for highest-grade Spidey issues. The odds are excellent we'll keep seeing insane prices until this guy is done with his runs.

I still contend that some of the prices are artificially reached. In other words some sort of oversight into the auction might uncover, well, things that yo expect on eBay

I still contend there's at least one very deep pocket, with a few moderate deep pockets chasing him, collecting the highest grade runs he possibly can and that's why we're consistently seeing insane prices the last 6 months or so. The record prices I'm seeing match the pattern from 2002 when a deep pocket was setting insane new highs for highest-grade Spidey issues. The odds are excellent we'll keep seeing insane prices until this guy is done with his runs.

I think it has to do with more than just filling runs.

I think it has to do with several people wanting to own the absolute best of the best.

This is sort of the Krazy hard asset bull market that Krazy Kat talked about a couple of years ago before he got banned.

There is definitely a battle to own the best and it is also reminding me of 2002 only with a much larger playing field (ie more books to choose from).

I think it has to do with more than just filling runs.

I think it has to do with several people wanting to own the absolute best of the best.

You've got to see at least two insane prices in a row on the same title and issue for this to be the case. I haven't seen that on Spidey and FF...have you seen examples of repeat insane prices being paid?

However, if we're talking about a book that sits alone at the top of the Census, I agree, half a dozen guys at least will come out of the woodwork.

no tax either. :insane:

I know banks are required to report deposits of more than $10K, and that you're also supposed to report income of more than $10K in one transaction on your taxes...so not sure you can avoid it on these large books.

Arex, although I'm sure we can agree that anything is possible I do know for a fact that some of the books being discussed with the record breaking prices are legit sales.

I'm sure of it because I know both the bidder and the underbidder on some of the books being discussed.

I know that they both really wanted the books they bid on and yes, maybe went a little crazy but their bids are real and legit.

I keep looking under my pillow for the tooth fairy to help out so I can get in on the action.

I think Louise keeps stealing it.

lol

It is also my understanding that people are taking in the keister too and the other party isnt someone who is wanting to buy the book.

It only takes two :gossip:

I use to hear this about the big card auctions, hope it isn't happening in these

Take a look at these too

http://scoop.diamondgalleries.com/public/default.asp?t=1&m=1&c=34&s=262&ai=86638

X-Men 94 $27,779

Avengers 57 $18,750

Spidey 34 $25,250

DUDE!! :o screw the Stock Market,everyone should buy Comic Books.

Yuh, my thoughts exactly

Buy Silver Age hi-grades

U Cant go wrong

I would wager that these insane buyers are not collectors who give 2c about comics, rather, they are investors looking to diversify. Many high net worth investors are a bit jaded about the market's problems, expecting hyperinflation as a result of recent policies, and looking to diversify into tangible assets. Could be many hedge funds diversifying, could even be foreign investors looking to unload U.S. dollars (china?).

But again, frankly, I don't feel it is comic lovers with deep pockets.

(remember the recent meth diversification bust? easy liquidity, under the tax radars, etc.).

Everyone knows what a bubble is, right? Is this a speculative bubble? I think so.

And I think when market confidence eventually recovers (could be years), that the bubble will get pricked. It's currently a game of 'hot potatoes.' On the bright side (or maybe not so bright, depending on you POV), it's spawned and inspired an enormous niche of pressers to learn the craft (beats picking grapes for 4bucks an hour,eh?).

I would wager that these insane buyers are not collectors who give 2c about comics, rather, they are investors looking to diversify. Many high net worth investors are a bit jaded about the market's problems, expecting hyperinflation as a result of recent policies, and looking to diversify into tangible assets. Could be many hedge funds diversifying, could even be foreign investors looking to unload U.S. dollars (china?).

There cannot really be that many people looking to buy comics as a hedge against the dollar, can there? The likelihood the dollar is going the way of the do-do are not big imho. And would comics be a good hedge in any event ? Why comic books ?

There cannot really be that many people looking to buy comics as a hedge against the dollar, can there?

The monetary value of the entire supply of HG comics is less than minuscule compared to the amount of dollars in circulation and looking for a home. The amount of funny money being injected into the monetary system these last few years is nothing less than staggering; so much so, that they stopped even printing M3 numbers at some point. Do some research on comics, and you'll find it has been one of the better historical tangible hedges against inflation. Take a look at gold these last few years as another example. Of course when you are at bubble levels of any item, it's only a matter of time.

There cannot really be that many people looking to buy comics as a hedge against the dollar, can there?

The monetary value of the entire supply of HG comics is less than minuscule compared to the amount of dollars in circulation and looking for a home. Do some research on comics, and you'll find it has been one of the better historical hedges against inflation.

Of course when you at bubble levels of any item, it's only a matter of time.

I guess I didnt express myself properly. I LOVE Silver Age comics. And I do appreciate comic books as a hedge against the U.S. dollar. I guess I am just taken back by the EXTENT of the hedge. Some of these prices are insane. They imply that the dollar is going to disappear or depreciate significantly. How else do you account for a $76,000+ Fantastic Four 12 or a $25,000 ASM 34. Isn't this decline in the dollar, as exhibited by these Krazy comic book prices possibly a bit exxagerated?

the Spidey prices are high, but not insane... reads like a collector to me in a private brokered deal now being posted.

are those TB's undercopies?

I dunno. Spidey PC copies are pretty special. IMO the only thing newsworthy here is the mass sale all at once to somebody/ But since this is key Ditko Spidies, I dont find it hard to believe that its a collector. Not like 76K for an FF12. There was no precedent for that amount, hence the mystery of its actuality and/or motivation.

The monetary value of the entire supply of HG comics is less than minuscule compared to the amount of dollars in circulation and looking for a home. Do some research on comics, and you'll find it has been one of the better historical hedges against inflation.

I guess I didnt express myself properly. I LOVE Silver Age comics. And I do appreciate comic books as a hedge against the U.S. dollar. I guess I am just taken back by the EXTENT of the hedge. Some of these prices are insane. They imply that the dollar is going to disappear or depreciate significantly. How else do you account for a $76,000+ Fantastic Four 12 or a $25,000 ASM 34. Isn't this decline in the dollar, as exhibited by these Krazy comic book prices possibly a bit exxagerated?

Don't equate the hedging activity directly against the dollar, just think of it as an alternate diversification asset to add to some portfolios during turbulent times. The number one thing managers are thinking these days is about risk. More diversification = less risk.

Many wealthy folks and fund managers see foreboding signs in the market, and want less risk via diversification out of dollar, market, etc.

Once again, those values you throw around... 100k for a comic are an absolute pittance compared to the amount of cash that is in circulation, and in the pockets of hedge funds and high net worth entities.

Don't equate the hedging activity directly against the dollar, just think of it as an alternate diversification asset to add to some portfolios during turbulent times. The number one thing managers are thinking these days is about risk. More diversification = less risk.

Many wealthy folks see foreboding signs in the market, and want less risk via diversification out of dollar, market, etc.

Once again, those values you throw around... 100k for a comic are an absolute pittance compared to the amount of cash that is in circulation, and in the pockets of hedge funds and high net worth entities.

I hear you man but diversification for the sake of diversification makes no sense. Why pay 25k for an Xmen 94 unless you sincerely believe the dollar is done. I mean these prices seem to imply the end of the dollar is right around the corner. I dunno I guess I am surprised by this run up in prices to such the degree. What if the dollar doesnt collapse, then they overpaid by an insane amount. Or do the rich really have that much money to burn ?

Many wealthy folks see foreboding signs in the market, and want less risk via diversification out of dollar, market, etc.

I hear you man but diversification for the sake of diversification makes no sense. Why pay 25k for an Xmen 94 unless you sincerely believe the dollar is done. I mean these prices seem to imply the end of the dollar is right around the corner. I dunno I guess I am surprised by this run up in prices to such the degree. What if the dollar doesnt collapse, then they overpaid by an insane amount. Or do the rich really have that much money to burn ?

I'm not sure even if I had 25k to burn I'd be buying one book with the funds. hm

I'm not sure even if I had 25k to burn I'd be buying one book with the funds. hm

Thats the thing. These prices seem to imply the death of the dollar as a certainty. Crazy stuff for sure.